BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Highway chief: Speeding drivers responsible for 85% of accidents

Well, hoobloodyray for guessing the 64,000 thousand dollar question. How long did it take for this guy to come to that enlightenment.However, what will be done about it? NOTHING!.

The need for speed is too far ingrained into the Thai driving attitude.

Don't give way

Never slow down

Never let anybody in

Always prefer to wreck your own car than obey any of the above

A red light means, go faster

A red light means, this does not apply to you.

Felangs do not know how to drive.

We do not have to know what road markings mean, after all, this is our country.

In the event of an accident, we will always blame the person that actually has insurance.

We are able to drive safely, no matter how much we have had to drink.

This guy is a genius! Somebody make him Highway Chief! Oh, that's right, he already is - how many years has it taken him to work that out? As a previous poster said already - he should put 'lack of traffic law enforcement' at the very top of the list. 

7 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

In the UK in 2014 motorists were fined over THB 520m from fines imposed from going past speed cameras. This covered the cost of installation and operation of over 2300 cameras.

It's not rocket science, cameras cut speeding, staying within limits cuts accidents. Government again not willing to do the obvious, it would not cost them anything and would cut the carnage.

That is the UK where the BiBlue get off their backsides and work a full 8 hour shift, Traffic cameras are everywhere these days so driving has improved road kill is way down sensible people the Brits must be. In this neck of the woods a persons life means sh>> nothing, nowt. So why do we need cams and BIB to work? Time-warp of th

photo caption:

"You know, like, I just like realized, like..."

Guys, youre all cought up in the symptoms here.

But the underlying cause, where it all starts, IS :

When Thais are walking on the footpath, up to a poor soul, which is begging on the road, lost hand, lost foot, whatever; they happily give some donations. You´ve seen that for sure, many times, and this is great, no doubt !

BUT :  it`s not for the poor soul, but for themselfes, for a better afterlife (and they do many other things for this reason)

Soo, when you believe in a comfortable afterlife, you basically can´t wait to reap the benefits.

I mean, how do People behave and DRIVE, when they are not afraid to die ?

It´s like the terrorists, who can´t wait for their 99 virgins . . . (well, thats a bit of a stretch, i know :smile: )

But i´m NOT joking  ! !

Solution:  Dear Thaipeople, go back, and read again, what Buddha said, and most importantly, really meant . . .

Regards.

Enjoyed the clip...

Would be interesting to know the age group of the offenders... motorcycle to car ratio of accidents.

85% caused by speeding, 50% caused by falling asleep and cutting people up. That is 135% of crashes. The drunk drivers must be stopping crashes and saving lives!

Honestly the main thing I don't miss about Thailand is the crazy drivers and the lack of safety on the roads.

Not just the highways.  Every soi, every road.

Even as a pedestrian I am always extra careful.

A few close calls over the years and an accident last year as a passenger in a car, it all amounts to the feeling that I'm not safe being anywhere near traffic in Thailand, even in the countryside.

Almost all of my stress in Thailand comes when I'm in a vehicle.

I'm not saying everyone is a bad driver, but there are some really bad drivers and even worse is the teenage boys on motorbikes.

I'd propose raising the driving age to 35 years old and no longer allowing anyone 34 and under to operate a motorbike or vehicle.

Absolutely illegal under all circumstances and a lengthy sentence if caught driving.

Then it will be easier to begin narrowing down the 35 and over drivers as to who is a danger to society.

Ridiculous times call for ridiculous measures.

9 minutes ago, survivalblue said:

Honestly the main thing I don't miss about Thailand is the crazy drivers and the lack of safety on the roads.

Not just the highways.  Every soi, every road.

Even as a pedestrian I am always extra careful.

A few close calls over the years and an accident last year as a passenger in a car, it all amounts to the feeling that I'm not safe being anywhere near traffic in Thailand, even in the countryside.

Almost all of my stress in Thailand comes when I'm in a vehicle.

I'm not saying everyone is a bad driver, but there are some really bad drivers and even worse is the teenage boys on motorbikes.

I'd propose raising the driving age to 35 years old and no longer allowing anyone 34 and under to operate a motorbike or vehicle.

Absolutely illegal under all circumstances and a lengthy sentence if caught driving.

Then it will be easier to begin narrowing down the 35 and over drivers as to who is a danger to society.

It´s not an "age" thing. It`s an attitute and enforcement thing !

But i feel you :smile:

Give the guy a break. The biggest problem is the selfish, inconsiderate, idiotic fkwhits behind the wheel. How do you change that in the current system. Just absolute fkn maniacs. Without an attitude change it will stay the same. 

23 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Give the guy a break. The biggest problem is the selfish, inconsiderate, idiotic fkwhits behind the wheel. How do you change that in the current system. Just absolute fkn maniacs. Without an attitude change it will stay the same. 

Their attitude will only change If drivers would receive 2-4 traffic tickets in the month in their mailbox.

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

It will stay the same.

Education: oh man, thats a can of worms.

Enforcement: Police to the roads, oh thats another one.

We´re talking about hundrteds of years change.

All hopeless. leaves me to just decide, if i stay here, or not. Makes no difference if discussing that here. Farangs bla bla.

We´re just mourning, it will not make any difference here. We stay, or we go ! Pasta.

Sorry.

Meanwhile, i try to enjoy the chaos, but when it gets to much, i´ll go.

But my wife (not Thai) says: Buy, buy, hammer a nail through your foot into the floor, and i say: no way :smile:

"No way" is going to be it. She just got this disorder, what was the name of that ?

17 hours ago, onemorechang said:

100%  of Accidents in Thailand

are caused by  Bad People  :jap:

thai people i think you mean :coffee1:

17 hours ago, alocacoc said:

I'm sure speeding is an bigger problem than alcohol.

But, there are also plenty of cars which are driving way too slow. I don't know what's wrong with them.

AMEN. In some countries a person operating a vehicle in excessively slow speeds will be ticket. They definitely are a hazard. BUTTtttttttt ......

17 hours ago, Ceruhe said:

Fat drummroll to reveal exactly who is going to do said enforcing? I'm, like, very curious.

I'm still only half buying into the "fast drivers are the cause" thing. No doubt, many accidents involve fast driving cars, also no doubt that in another set of said accidents the speeding driver isn't exactly the cause of if (yea yea, he is speeding, I get that). Just like the other week with the blue pickup speeding the "slow" lanes as the "fast" ones were blocked by turtles and then the Taxi nailed the blue dude brilliantly with driver error. Yes, speeding involved but not exactly the cause of it (yea yea, he is speeding, I still get that).

Now if it said 85% were reckless drivers, different story to me.

This was an easy find.

https://seriousaccidents.com/legal-advice/top-causes-of-car-accidents/

Doubt it will be looked at or considered in Thailand. My wife told me recently " Thailand and Thais will NEVER change."  I agree with her.... NEVER happen and will continue a backward slide.