83-year old woman bitten to death by a pitbull and three other dogs in Chanthaburi

webfact

5 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Can you give a logical explanation why anybody would want any dog, cat, bunny, or fish?

3 of those don't kill humans and the other 1 only a few breeds. Come on you have a breed choice and a Pitbull is a dangerous animal especially in irresponsible Thailand 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

My vet says she has no problem euthanising terminally ill pets. Our cat was suspected to have feline AIDS (luckily since found not to be the case) and she said if he started suffering she would not prolong his life. You just have to choose the right vet, discuss it with them before signing up.

you are VERY lucky as I have yet to find one yet and watched a recent cat go through hell before dying and after i had argued with the vet (who really thought she was doing the 'ethical' thing) but we veer off-topic

5 hours ago, deepinlaos said:

thai's already don't control their relatively harmless mongrels.......if they start collecting pitbulls and other dangerous breeds this is a toxic combination.......lookout!

I  remember a woman was mauled to death by a pair of dogs that were pitbull mixed with Thai Bangkaew.  Admittedly she provoked the dogs by trying to take away their bone but cross breeding those two breeds is not likely to produce a docile mutt.

39 minutes ago, sandemara said:

Amazing. An elderly woman is bitten to death by a dog pack in an open village street. Such a death is not quick; there will have been 50 distinct bite wounds, at the least, all over her frail body before she succumbed to loss of blood, pain, helplessness and terror in her final 5-10 minutes of agony. Buckets of blood. Yet, despite her screams and the barks of the dogs.  no-one from the village is, apparently,  close enough to come to her aid or deter the dogs until she lays dead in the street. A dreadful, drawn-out experience of death and horror no-one should have to suffer.

The moronic dill responsible for the dogs (a cousin of his dogs' recent dine-out meal) promises he will keep them locked up in cages from now on - a wonderful example of caring, responsible pet ownership I must say, I feel so much better about the poor woman's horrific departure from the planet  I wonder if she thinks her ride was worth the price.  Nah, she's dead and her opinion has been rendered  worthless by the living..

Wild dogs in Africa also kill their prey slowly, since they usually go after bigger animals like kudu and antelope that they can't bring down in one go.  The pack goes after one of the weaker looking animals in the herd chases it for a mile or two biting chunks out of it as they run until the poor thing collapses with exhaustion and loss of blood and they finish it off, more concerned about eating it than killing it swiftly, unlike lions that like to kill their prey quickly by gouging out their throats.  Wild dogs' prey may be disembowelled before death.  Although the old lady wouldn't have been able to run from the dogs, the dog pack's traditional style of killing would still have taken some time and been agonising.

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

Can you give me a logical explanation as to why you would want to own a pitbull?

Simply the breed...Pitbull...does not automatically make the dog inherently vicious or dangerous. Some of this breed were bred for fighting, but even this does not make all of them dangerous. Most dogs are a product of their upbringing and raised by idiots who think it's cool.to have a fighting breed, said dog(s) can be a danger.

The science on Pitbulls does not support that they are dangerous by default. A buddy of mine had one in Florida and never wimpier dog was to be seen. He was literally afriad of everything...even his own shadow!

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/pit-bulls-safety

http://www.seeker.com/are-pit-bulls-inherently-dangerous-1765773898.html

14 hours ago, malibukid said:

the Thais are astonished to see me carrying a big stick with me, now when the local dogs see me they get the point. they say "oh dog no problem" i say "have you had them vaccinated for rabies"? no clue. asinine Country, primitive superstitious people

Around our  'so called gated village" of two-story homes,  the people walk with sticks, the dogs are un-leased.     There was one black dog that has the habit of being territorial and will charge if you enter his zone, only issue the zone is in the pathway. Thus, I have seen actually two approaches with territorial issues along the walk pathway, one person brought food every day for the dog and they formed a unique friendship.  The other was the dog was quite unfriendly and would also charge and show teeth, so the person poisoned it. 

7 hours ago, Rhys said:

Around our  'so called gated village" of two-story homes,  the people walk with sticks, the dogs are un-leased.     There was one black dog that has the habit of being territorial and will charge if you enter his zone, only issue the zone is in the pathway. Thus, I have seen actually two approaches with territorial issues along the walk pathway, one person brought food every day for the dog and they formed a unique friendship.  The other was the dog was quite unfriendly and would also charge and show teeth, so the person poisoned it. 

giving food sort of defeats the object?  unless it was poisoned of course and if someone is frightened and no one will do something i can see why they would poison it. not nice but what else to do?

19 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Simply the breed...Pitbull...does not automatically make the dog inherently vicious or dangerous. Some of this breed were bred for fighting, but even this does not make all of them dangerous. Most dogs are a product of their upbringing and raised by idiots who think it's cool.to have a fighting breed, said dog(s) can be a danger.

The science on Pitbulls does not support that they are dangerous by default. A buddy of mine had one in Florida and never wimpier dog was to be seen. He was literally afriad of everything...even his own shadow!

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/pit-bulls-safety

http://www.seeker.com/are-pit-bulls-inherently-dangerous-1765773898.html

Whilst I agree with your main point-it is not the dog but the idiot that owns them-the problem becomes whether one is able to make such a fine distinction whilst being mauled to death.

Thus I will present my problem about Pitbulls.Being sick (the Big C) I moved into a compound with my wife's family-the worst mistake that I could ever make.My wife's son has recently acquired two Pitbulls.He neither walks or socializes with the dogs,keeps them on flimsy chains and is too busy drinking Lao Khao all night to bother with them.The three soi dogs which already long term residents of the compound are becoming more agitated and aggressive-as you would expect.

The compound is not in the slightest bit secure and fronts onto a road where many school children walk to and from school.I have protested for weeks about these dogs-to be met with "You make my head ache..you tink too mutt.."

I showed them this TV article only to get nothing.The son is a complete moronic clown who is allowed to get away with anything and everything.

Very fortunately I am leaving for my homeland in two months for what will be basically palliative care-so,hopefully,I shall never have to ever find out whether these dogs ever break loose and kill someone.

The chronic indifference on the part of this Isaan family to a quite predictable outcome is simply astonishing.

25 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Whilst I agree with your main point-it is not the dog but the idiot that owns them-the problem becomes whether one is able to make such a fine distinction whilst being mauled to death.

Thus I will present my problem about Pitbulls.Being sick (the Big C) I moved into a compound with my wife's family-the worst mistake that I could ever make.My wife's son has recently acquired two Pitbulls.He neither walks or socializes with the dogs,keeps them on flimsy chains and is too busy drinking Lao Khao all night to bother with them.The three soi dogs which already long term residents of the compound are becoming more agitated and aggressive-as you would expect.

The compound is not in the slightest bit secure and fronts onto a road where many school children walk to and from school.I have protested for weeks about these dogs-to be met with "You make my head ache..you tink too mutt.."

I showed them this TV article only to get nothing.The son is a complete moronic clown who is allowed to get away with anything and everything.

Very fortunately I am leaving for my homeland in two months for what will be basically palliative care-so,hopefully,I shall never have to ever find out whether these dogs ever break loose and kill someone.

The chronic indifference on the part of this Isaan family to a quite predictable outcome is simply astonishing.

best wishes to you and I hope your journey is not too distressing

On 3/29/2017 at 1:35 PM, vogie said:

List of dogs quoted as being dangerous by insurance companys. Wake up and smell the coffee!

• Pit Bull Terriers
  • Staffordshire Terriers
  • Rottweilers
  • German Shepherds
  • Presa Canarios
  • Chows Chows
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Akitas
  • Wolf-hybrids
  • Mastiffs
  • Cane Corsos
  • Great Danes
  • Alaskan Malamutes
  • Siberian Huskies

They have a dangerous and safe lists for every category they insure, be it pets or be it property etc, but it doesn't mean they will not insure you. Next time quote your source when pasting quotes. Your quote is meaningless. By the way  'Companys' is spelled 'Companies'.

On 3/29/2017 at 1:19 PM, overherebc said:

If it walks like a duck 

So every human is a potential mass murderer then according to your conclusion?

23 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

It's not the dog's,  it's the owners. 

You're absolutely right in that aspect. If some stupid posters care to research dog history they will find that in Victorian times Bull Terriers were considered the best family dog and the most feared dog of the day was the Bloodhound.

Some myths about Pit Bulls:

Myth: The U.S. Center for Disease Control (the CDC) has determined that the Pit Bull is the most dangerous dog in the U.S.

Fact: In 1999, the CDC formally quit compiling dog fatalities by breed, because they conceded they had been compiling all their statistics from newspaper reports, which were written by newspaper reporters. If a Yellow Lab bites a mailman, it is not very likely the incident will be in the newspaper. But if a Pit Bull even chases a mailman, the police will likely be called, and the incident will very likely to be in the newspaper.

Furthermore, most newspaper reporters, and even policemen, are not experts in dog identification. Example: Just last year in my hometown, there was a front-page headline: "Officer Shoots Pit Bull." Two days later, in the back of the newspaper, was the small headline "Dog Shot Is Misidentified." In the clarifying article, the dog was identified as being a Blue Heeler/Boxer mix. But the damage was done, and such shoddy reporting and consequent damage goes on daily across the U.S.

Finally, the CDC has stated that any of its previous statistics on breed identification and dog related fatalities are so flawed that they should not be used at all.

Myth: When Pit Bulls bite, their jaws lock.
Fact: Their jaws lock no more than any other dog, which is not at all.

Myth: They have the most powerful jaws.
Fact: German Shepherds and Dobermans have stronger bite pressure according to testing done by National Geographic. And based on size alone several dogs the same size or bigger than German Shepherds probably do too.
Pit Bulls just have the wider jaw/narrower nose appearance, which makes their jaws just look more formidable, and cutting their ears off just emphasizes that look.

Myth: Pits are very human aggressive.
Fact: In breeding them for dog fighting, they have been bred to be very people friendly. A Pit Bull that bit a handler was a goner. Consequently the dogs left for breeding are the least likely to bite a human. Why don't dog-fighters use other dogs, especially bigger dogs? Because they would be much more difficult to control in a dogfight.

Furthermore, according to the American Temperament Test Society, Inc., the leading institution on evaluating canine temperament, the following dogs all have worse temperament failure rates than American Pit Bull Terriers: Akita, American Eskimo, Australian Shepherd, Australian Cattle dog, Boxer, Dalmatian, Doberman, German Shepherd, Great Dane, Golden Retriever, Greyhound, Mastiff, Rottweiler, Shar-Pei. And yes, you read that right--Golden Retriever.

Fact: A big problem dog fighters have is that they sometimes have a hard time getting their “Pit Bull” to fight.

Fact: There has NEVER been a documented case of a sexually altered, single household family pet Pit Bull killing a human. By household pet, I mean not kept chained up out-side the house or kept just in a kennel or used as a guard dog. And you can bet that if this had ever happened, it would be well publicized.

Fact: The woman who received the world's first partial face transplant in November 2005, was attacked by a--Labrador.

Fact: Pit Bulls often have a prey drive that can be easily activated. So do most dogs, including the bigger ones such as German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers, Boxers, Akitas, and Labradors, as well as smaller dogs that have also been involved in human and dog fatalities.

Opinion: Anyone who leaves a child alone with more than one sexually intact dog of any comparable size or larger is committing negligence.

http://www.dogbreedprejudice.info/

11 minutes ago, sinbin said:

So every human is a potential mass murderer then according to your conclusion?

You're absolutely right in that aspect. If some stupid posters care to research dog history they will find that in Victorian times Bull Terriers were considered the best family dog and the most feared dog of the day was the Bloodhound.

http://www.dogbreedprejudice.info/

Not going to argue with your facts but most of, no percentage quoted, cases of dogs biting people are by uncontrolled or badly treated dogs. It's a fact that a badly treated Pitbull or GSD bite will be a lot more serious than one from a badly treated minature poodle.

It is true however that many people buy big dogs and use them for intimidation purposes.

PS. Yes all humans are capable of being mass murderers. The veneer of civilisation is very thin.

?

41 minutes ago, sinbin said:

They have a dangerous and safe lists for every category they insure, be it pets or be it property etc, but it doesn't mean they will not insure you. Next time quote your source when pasting quotes. Your quote is meaningless. By the way  'Companys' is spelled 'Companies'.

We do not do 'grammar police' on here, if you don't like what I say, pass me by, sorry if I have upset your little doggy brain.

Pit bulls are banned in Ontario. Too many instances of attacks. I had a German Shepherd back home that would kill deers in the woods. One day he killed a neighbors sheep. That was last straw. I put him down with a 22.

Once they start that crap they don't stop.

Unfortunately, Pitbulls (same as any recent "Devil Dog" headline grabber) seem to attract  the type of 'owner' that would not not normally have a dog, other than as a proxy 'tough guy' accessory.

There is a local breeder in Phala, Banchang that advertises these dogs in a poster; all clipped ears and gnashing teeth, promoting to the same demographic that keeps the "Fast & Furious" franchise operating.

Given the normal lack of dog care, rule of law, and bovine apathy when it comes to social responsibility here, these dogs becoming popular here should be a concern. To other dog owners, parents, and cyclists, mainly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2017 at 0:54 PM, Briggsy said:

The woman involved was trying to kill herself with sleeping tablets and the labrador in a last ditch attempt to save her life was trying to wake her up.

This information was not given out at the time as the suicide attempt was kept secret.

Yes, this sounds like typical Labrador behaviour. My old Mum always told me,  never let a Labrador try to lick your face.

Archived