DEXA/Body fat measurement equipment in Thailand

simon43

For information, here are the replies that I received to my enquiry about the availability of DEXA body fat scan equipment at 2 hospitals in Bangkok:,,

BNH:

"With regards to your email, kindly be informed that we do not have DEXA scan, only Inbody machine which can analyze the body composition mainly for measuring: 

1.Body Fat Mass

2.Fat Free Mass; water, protein, and mineral

3.Skeletal Muscle Mass

4.% Total body fat (compared between body fat mass and muscle mass)

5.Waist to Hip ratio

6.Basal Metabolic Rate (kcal)

7.Body Mass Index

"

and Samitivej:

"Greetings from Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital .

Kindly be informed that DEXA Scan that is available in our facility only screens for the bone mineral of the body but not for fat or muscle. The patient has to consult with an orthopedist first before doing the procedure."

So right now, the BNH option seems the only one available.  

Anyone know of other hospitals with DEXA fat-screening service?

Just to add a comment that I've booked an appointment with BNH for an inbody (impedance measurement) procedure.  The cost is modest at about 2,000 baht.

I'll report back on the procedure and my results next week.

For information, here are the replies that I received to my enquiry about the availability of DEXA body fat scan equipment at 2 hospitals in Bangkok:,,

BNH:

"With regards to your email, kindly be informed that we do not have DEXA scan, only Inbody machine which can analyze the body composition mainly for measuring: 

1.Body Fat Mass

2.Fat Free Mass; water, protein, and mineral

3.Skeletal Muscle Mass

4.% Total body fat (compared between body fat mass and muscle mass)

5.Waist to Hip ratio

6.Basal Metabolic Rate (kcal)

7.Body Mass Index

"

and Samitivej:

"Greetings from Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital .

Kindly be informed that DEXA Scan that is available in our facility only screens for the bone mineral of the body but not for fat or muscle. The patient has to consult with an orthopedist first before doing the procedure."

So right now, the BNH option seems the only one available.  

Anyone know of other hospitals with DEXA fat-screening service?

One of my DEXA scans in NZ analysed bone density AND body composition. They probably need to set it up and they don't consider body fat an important measurement.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Just to add a comment that I've booked an appointment with BNH for an inbody (impedance measurement) procedure.  The cost is modest at about 2,000 baht.

I'll report back on the procedure and my results next week.

I would highly recommend you first practice with skin fold callipers to get consistent results. I've found great online 3, 4, 5, 7 and 9 point calculators with thorough instructions... Then when you get your BIA measurement you can calibrate the two and save having to waste money on follow up measurements.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

... and save having to waste money on follow up measurements.

The Inbody procedure is not expensive, and I'm rarely in BKK.  I'll do this measurement/procedure tomorrow more out of interest in the results, rather than some very serious investigation into my body composition.

Am quite sure Vejthani does this - know they have and operate DEXA machines in the 11th floor executive healthcare facility as have had for bone density - but below article in Thai indicates they do whole body fat scans.

https://www.vejthani.com/TH/Article/438/ไขมันสะสมในร่างกายตรวจไวห่างไกลโรค

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

The Inbody procedure is not expensive, and I'm rarely in BKK.  I'll do this measurement/procedure tomorrow more out of interest in the results, rather than some very serious investigation into my body composition.

I was considering the cost of 2000 per time done often, compared to free measurement at home with your very own skin fold calipers. Once you've done it once and compared that to your own skin fold measurement, there's no need to do it again.

For example, my skin fold caliper measurement of 7% body fat compares to a 9.9% measurement on DEXA. I found that out in 2012. I don't have a lot of need to go back on the DEXA. If I show 7% on calipers, I know I'm about 10% accurate. If I had access to a DEXA, and my caliper measurement changed a lot, I'd go back and do it again. In your case, you'd be comparing to a BIA measurement, the accuracy of which I have no idea. Some BIA machines are very good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31-3-2017 at 10:42 AM, lopburi3 said:

Am quite sure Vejthani does this - know they have and operate DEXA machines in the 11th floor executive healthcare facility as have had for bone density - but below article in Thai indicates they do whole body fat scans.

https://www.vejthani.com/TH/Article/438/ไขมันสะสมในร่างกายตรวจไวห่างไกลโรค

That sounds real promising.. i might let a Thai speaker chase this up for me what it would cost.

Just to mention that I had the Inbody measurement at BNH a couple of weeks ago.  I haven't posted because I was going to upload a scan of my measurement report, but need to wait until I'm in BKK next week to do this.

But to summarise, the dietician nurse (who was rather plump!), carried out the measurement, (only takes a few minutes), and then we discussed the results together.  My body fat came in at 21% (I had guestimated it might be about 18%).

Since that test, I definitely have dropped more fat, because I'm jogging twice a day up and down Pattaya Beach Road.  I can see a good reduction in love handle and abs fat since my Inbody scan.

Lazada never seems to have the fat calipers in stock, but the BNH dietician made a phone call and gave me the details of a company in BKK that has them in stock (159 baht each).  I've spoken to the company and will order a pair after Songkran.

Archived