Any farangs in the red zone?

MarcelV

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

"Board member" aka member here in the forum.

It's still a widely used term,  "board" from "message board" = forum.

That's informative, as usual from KhunBenq.

I did try to Google it, but it gave me options like 'Black Male', 'Bowel Movement' and 'Batman'.

• 2 weeks later...

And Pattani isn't even a border province...! 

Anyway, some power poles were blown up close to my home and a man was shot and killed on his motorbike. Just another day in the Deep South. If anyone is interested,I can take you on a tour through the region.

Shame that the situation down south is in such a state. Luckily that wasn't the case some 20 years back when I worked for a number of years in Kelantan, just over the border.

Spent most weekends either in Betong (very pleasant and a nice drive via the E-W highway in Malaysia) or, more often, Tak Bai (over by the ferry and, occasionally, if missed the last ferry, by long-tailed boats). Stayed mainly at the Tak Bai Lagoon Resort (sometimes at the Taba Plaza Hotel). Very quiet location and operated by the Thai wife of a Swiss guy. No idea if still operating and did have plans for a revisit at some stage. But not really an ideal location now for a tourist trip. Real shame as it deprives the innocent locals of a good cash stream.

Stayed one night in Narathiwat due to necessity years ago. Never again. Muslim 'call to prayers' every few hours over the loudspeaker system installed on most main corners contributed to a sleepless night in a place where I felt I really should have been armed. Relief to get out of there...

1 hour ago, ballzafire said:

Stayed one night in Narathiwat due to necessity years ago. Never again. Muslim 'call to prayers' every few hours over the loudspeaker system installed on most main corners contributed to a sleepless night in a place where I felt I really should have been armed. Relief to get out of there...

sleepless night? yeah right! because all muslim prayer times are at night. next fairy tale please :coffee1:

3 hours ago, ballzafire said:

There really is some rubbish posted on the call to prayer. 

We have call to prayer six times a day, the earliest is about an hour before sunrise, the second at sunrise, the third at midday, the fourth is mid-afternoon, fifth at sunset and the sixth an hour after sunset. So given sunrise and sunset times in these latitudes change little, from around 6:15am and 6:20pm, you will hear nothing from the mosque from about 7:30pm until 5:10am. Even then I usually sleep soundly through both the dawn and sunrise calls. 

To me I find the call to prayer a reassuring constant that marks the progress of the day, and the call at sunset tells me it's time to find a beer.

When I was there, I recall the 'singing' starting up every two hours or so, extending late into the evening.

But, not 24 hours, obviously...

Nonetheless, it was a generally sleepless night, with lots of commotion and noise where I was staying. As, I said, ...never again.

4 hours ago, Stocky said:

We have call to prayer six times a day, the earliest is about an hour before sunrise, the second at sunrise, the third at midday, the fourth is mid-afternoon, fifth at sunset and the sixth an hour after sunset. So given sunrise and sunset times in these latitudes change little, from around 6:15am and 6:20pm, you will hear nothing from the mosque from about 7:30pm until 5:10am. Even then I usually sleep soundly through both the dawn and sunrise calls. 

To me I find the call to prayer a reassuring constant that marks the progress of the day, and the call at sunset tells me it's time to find a beer.

So you call it rubbish when people complain that at 5am the speakers at the mosque start screaming?

Stocky said:

11 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

So you call it rubbish when people complain that at 5am the speakers at the mosque start screaming?

yes, i do too.

14 hours ago, ballzafire said:

When I was there, I recall the 'singing' starting up every two hours or so, extending late into the evening.

But, not 24 hours, obviously...

Nonetheless, it was a generally sleepless night, with lots of commotion and noise where I was staying. As, I said, ...never again.

Well you probably arrived around midday so midday, mid-afternoon, sunset and evening prayer times are very approximately a couple of hours apart. And maybe your visit coincided with Ramadan, in which case there would have been a lot of activity early morning as people prepare and eat food before dawn.

14 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

The adhan is a song, not a scream, and depending on the muezzin's voice it can sound quite beautiful. 

13 hours ago, ballzafire said:

janclaes47: the only thing 'offensive' to members of The Cult of the Black Cube is if you are not a member, too.

Then, as their 'rules' say, it is ok to kill you...

I think you've shown your hand there. 

18 minutes ago, Stocky said:

The adhan is a song, not a scream, and depending on the muezzin's voice it can sound quite beautiful. 

I know nothing about Muslim songs, but there are a few mosques on Sukhumvit Pattaya, in the vicinity of businesses I frequent often, and when those speaker start blaring it's finished with talking to the business owner as you will not hear your own voice any more.

Take note I said vicinity, and not "next to", and what i hear is not a song at all but a call out to worshippers.

Islam = The Cult of the Black Cube = Satan worship (if you don't believe me, look it up, Stocky).

Pray five times a day facing the Black Cube in Mecca, or you are an 'infidel' and should be killed?

It's just madness.

And, no, I haven't "shown my hand", Stocky. Just stating the facts...

22 minutes ago, ballzafire said:

Islam = The Cult of the Black Cube = Satan worship (if you don't believe me, look it up, Stocky).
Pray five times a day facing the Black Cube in Mecca, or you are an 'infidel' and should be killed?
It's just madness.
And, no, I haven't "shown my hand", Stocky. Just stating the facts...

after showing your hand with the rubbish pertaining to "prayer calls the whole night" you are now resorting to present your irrelevant and ridiculous personal views. get a life man and stop ridiculing yourself. :coffee1:

Just now, ballzafire said:

Ah, Islam. The religion of 'peace'. The religion of 'tolerance'. The religion of 'understanding'.
Thanks for reaffirming this, Naam.

it sure is a bad religion with prayer calls the whole night disturbing the sleep of a righteous man :tongue:

Archived