IHOP Says Opening at Siam Paragon on April 16

most places I knew made their pancakes from scratch using flour, an egg and baking soda, buttermilk for something special but when in asia ye can't expect the same technique...there was always Aunt Jemima pancake mix in a pinch...my mom preferred Aunt Jemima, she was from Bolivia and appreciated the local cooking conveniences...

I was never into waffles when I was a kid, always preferred pancakes...my Nashville grandma useta eye me up and say: 'looks like yew could use some cheerios...'...btw I was born in Tennessee and spent half my childhood there and never saw or ate 'grits' the entire time...

might try out some of that makro ARO pancake mix fer my own investigative  purposes...if the granddaughter comes and wants a taste then: 'get back ye little heathen or I'm gwine t'havta whup ye...' havta keep peace in the household; any successful foreign intrusion to the household cuisine and the stepdaugghter would then initiate an anti falang pogrom...leading to extreme inconvenience and Death...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/23/2018 at 11:21 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Actually, Makro's here in BKK regularly stock pretty decent 800g boxes of their own ARO brand waffle and pancake mix that produce pretty good results. The box is cheap, about 60 or 70 baht per, if memory serves. And at least according to the ingredients label, it's not overflowing with sugar like some other brands.

The box recipies are slightly different depending on whether you want to make waffles or pancakes. I use their mix to make waffles at home with an electric waffle maker, and they turn out quite nicely.  Restaurant waffles were pretty hard to find up until a couple years ago when IHOP and a few other breakfast cafe, waffle-serving places surfaced in BKK.

tutsi approaches the IHOP in BKK to enquire about the availability of hashbrowns; 'someone said that yew do the best hash browns east of the picket wire...' and the attendant wasn't able to confirm hash browns availability...and then tutsi extracts his six shooter and lays it on the table and sez: 'are yew wafflin' with me, friend? hash browns are a serious business...'...the security forces are then called and there was an air strike in the near vicinity of the IHOP...

meanwhile tutsi is tuning his guitar on the forecourt of his shop house in rural Suphanburi and thinkin' about improving the action of his yamaha drednought: 'file the bridge down a bit, I suppose...'

15 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

tutsi approaches the IHOP in BKK to enquire about the availability of hashbrowns; 'someone said that yew do the best hash browns east of the picket wire...' and the attendant wasn't able to confirm hash browns availability...and then tutsi extracts his six shooter and lays it on the table and sez: 'are yew wafflin' with me, friend? hash browns are a serious business...'...the security forces are then called and there was an air strike in the near vicinity of the IHOP...

Tutsi, you have to be careful about where you're asking at Paragon.

The IHOP basement level cafe typically does NOT carry hash browns on their menu or breakfast meats or the regular lunch and dinner entrees of a full IHOP menu.

The IHOP full menu restaurant 4th floor location always has hash browns lately. I've been going every week for at least the past couple months, and they've never once been out after solving their original supply problems some months back.

On 7/21/2018 at 7:57 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

PS - Last time I talked to them there, there also were on the verge of supposedly opening a new full-service branch at the Mega Bangna Mall.  But I haven't spoken with my IHOP contact lately, so I'm not sure what the status of that venue is at present.

fyi, my IHOP contact sent me a note the other day advising that the IHOP at Mega Bangna is now officially open.  Haven't been there, and probably won't get there for a while.. But for those in the neighborhood, check it out.

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Tutsi, you have to be careful about where you're asking at Paragon.

The IHOP basement level IHOP typically does NOT carry hash browns on their menu.

The IHOP full restaurant 4th floor location always has hash browns lately. I've been going every week for at least the past couple months, and they've never once been out after solving their original supply problems some months back.

tutsi then twirls and holsters his six gun, pulls his hat down over his eyes and shoulders his way out the door...

'who was that masked man?' 'oh, just some falang  obsessing about the hash browns again at the IHOP...most of the time they're harmless but they like to play with guns so that ye gots to be alert...'

18 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

just some falang  obsessing about the hash browns again at the IHOP...

Well Tutsi, you've made a liar out of me, much to my chagrin, and that doesn't happen very often.

After our exchange here last night, I was out and around in BKK today and decided to stop at the 4th floor IHOP Paragon outlet to have a midafternoon breakfast. As soon as the staff saw me walking in, they came up to profusely apologize and say, to my shock and horror, "Sorry Khun Tallguy, we don't have hash browns today!"

In fact, the 4th floor Paragon IHOP may not have any hash browns for potentially the next several weeks, as the staff there tells it. Turns out, they already were running low on their HB stocks, and then with the Mega Bangna branch opening last Saturday, they apparently handed over the relatively few remaining hash browns they had to the Mega Bangna branch so they'd at least have some their for their grand opening/new customers.

Now, the uninitiated reading this might say, well hell, just go out and buy some more hash browns from your supplier. Except, the initiated here may well recall that IHOP Thailand is using hash browns imported from the U.S., supposedly because they couldn't find an adequate supplier here in Thailand. So, it would seem, the IHOP hash browns are enroute but either on a slow boat or a slow plane from the U.S., and not expected to arrive here any time particularly soon.

FWIW, the supervisor on duty today advised me that during the current hash browns drought, they will be providing/offering alternatives for menu dishes that are supposed to come with hash browns -- namely, your choice of french fries, mashed potatoes or potato wedges. Still, not quite the same for me, and perhaps others.

As you can see, my IHOP breakfast had a big hole in the middle of the plate where my side order of hash browns should have gone, and likewise left a big hole in my hash browns-bereft heart. So, I had to console myself with their Split Decision breakfast for 240b consisting of two eggs, two bacon strips, two sausages, two half slices of french toast and two regular pancakes...   Ohhh, the inhmanity of it....

1716502200_IHOPSplitDecisionBrekkie.jpg.51216d5532edddcf7cd7b4fb826f484e.jpg

1612170562_IHOPPlainPancakesOrder.jpg.bd769f854b53e2320e18837b29bc7cdd.jpg

BTW, the above breakfast and photo reminds me -- IMHO, the breakfast sausages at IHOP TH suck big time, unless you're a fan of mini-sized Thai hot dogs, which is essentially what they're serving as "sausages."  How the U.S. IHOP franchise lords ever signed off on that particular IHOP TH food item, I can only wonder in disgust.

jeezuz...ham an eggs and mashed potatoes???...is that thai IHOP manager fer real???...'if ye got goddam mashed potatoes then ye gotta have goddam gravy!!! are you prepared to accept that responsibility??? and I don't wanna see a drop of that gravy on my scrambled eggs, do you goddam understand me???'

confusion and 'saving face' then come into play and yer breakfast is ruined...

33 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

jeezuz...ham an eggs and mashed potatoes???...is that thai IHOP manager fer real???..

Now Tutsi... Calm yourself... I didn't say you HAD to have mashed potatoes....  Those are just one hash brown substitute option, along with their french fries or their potato wedges.

I also don't think I'd want mashed potatoes with my pancakes or omelet either.... But I think I could stomach the potato wedges for breakfast in a pinch...  Perhaps a bit like the Brit version of chips....

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Now Tutsi... Calm yourself... I didn't say you HAD to have mashed potatoes....  Those are just one hash brown substitute option, along with their french fries or their potato wedges.

I also don't think I'd want mashed potatoes with my pancakes or omelet either.... But I think I could stomach the potato wedges for breakfast in a pinch...  Perhaps a bit like the Brit version of chips....

not even the brits would have chips with their eggs fer breakfast, maybe some sausage and Heinz beans...I useta settle for a bacon butty, stuff down yer gub as yer headin' out the door to catch the bus to work...

the brits do like a bit of fried egg and chips at other times of the day, however...I useta get chips with curry sauce from the dinner ladies at work at lunch time and not half bad...

Archived