I'm being asked for my degree transcript ?

For the first time in 15 years of teaching in Thailand, the immigration officer asked for my degree transcript. I have never had my degree transcript, and am now frantically sending email back to UK (Nescot) to obtain one. I finished my degree 20 years ago. It was in Facilities Management and I studied it at Highbury College in Portsmouth. I have always had my certificate but I cannot remember ever having a transcript. I have a month to produce the document. 

Am I going to have a problem? Why am I being asked this now? What if the college (NESCOT) cannot produce it?

Get on the phone asap and call your college. Speak to the registrar. It would be shocking if they haven't got your transcript readily available. It will help, perhaps, if you have your student ID #. 

Give them your credit card number and get 5 copies of it. Have it sent FedEx. 

It'll cost a few bucks but it'll get the task done.

Log onto your College website. You should be able to order a replacement transcript on line, at least they offer it on Uni website for the Uni I attended. You can order replacement transcripts or degrees, signed by the College Head. If you need the transcript Apostilled then you can get that done via the Embassy, who contact the College to authenticate it.

21 minutes ago, Cereal said:

Get on the phone asap and call your college. Speak to the registrar. It would be shocking if they haven't got your transcript readily available. It will help, perhaps, if you have your student ID #. 

Yes, use the phone it is quicker. However, most schools, in the states at least, are quite prepared to send transcripts--a simple process of paying a relatively small fee and the transcript is sent to wherever you state. Most schools and firms which require specific degrees want original transcripts sent directly from your alma mater to the school or firm requiring the degree. If the IO will accept a transcript directly from you; I would expect that changes.

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

Are you basing that on UK universities?

I was asked for a copy of my transcript for my Master's in 2011. I graduated in 1993 with that. I contacted the university and was told they couldn't go back that far. Up to ten years maybe, more than that would be lucky but no chance for anything pre-2000.

They did however provide an official stamped and accredited letter confirming my degree which was accepted.

Many thanks for all your helpful replies. I have contacted NESCOT (UK) and someone has promised to look through the archives and put me onto the replacement copy website, so it should be cool.  Also got my mum on the case. Strange though, because I don't ever recall having the transcript. Also, my degree was done at a technical college (Cosham, Portsmouth), the degree course being subbed somehow from NESCOT (Croydon, Surrey). And its a job-related degree which I did through a day release scheme, so probably not the traditional path most folks take. Got a 2:1 Hons though, and it was a great experience.

Why the panic? Not getting a visa. It's always scary in immigration. 

For me a school wanted a copy of my transcripts for my undergraduate degree, that was 30 years ago...  I sent in all the documentation, I only had my MA Transcripts..but they still wanted the undergraduate transcripts... Thus I informed the p officer, thank, it is your loss. I withdraw my application to Ananal University...

Yes, check the www at the school it is there to order, but .. F them...

I had been teaching here for over 20 years, never once been asked for the transcripts.

Sometimes, just have to say no to the BS...and move on....

That's ridiculous! I would have the school contact immigration and explain he's been approved to teach through the Labor Department.

They've approved him as qualified to teacher. This is another power grab by Immigration, which has nothing to do with the Teacher's Grades. I have taught at a large government university here and my university always had my visa processed with immigration. I went to the visa renewal, but the school had a Rep take me! That's the way it should be handled throughout Thailand.

1 hour ago, tomwct said:

That's ridiculous! I would have the school contact immigration and explain he's been approved to teach through the Labor Department.

They've approved him as qualified to teacher. This is another power grab by Immigration, which has nothing to do with the Teacher's Grades. I have taught at a large government university here and my university always had my visa processed with immigration. I went to the visa renewal, but the school had a Rep take me! That's the way it should be handled throughout Thailand.

You taught at a uni, they do not come under OBEC and the scrutiny of the TCT, that is why the procedure is different.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone actually have a degree in the subject that they are  teaching?Asking for transcripts  might be a way of eliminating "khao san road degrees".

I was asked for the transcripts when applying for my position and my degree matches my teaching subjects.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2017 at 4:56 PM, Baerboxer said:

Are you basing that on UK universities?

I was asked for a copy of my transcript for my Master's in 2011. I graduated in 1993 with that. I contacted the university and was told they couldn't go back that far. Up to ten years maybe, more than that would be lucky but no chance for anything pre-2000.

They did however provide an official stamped and accredited letter confirming my degree which was accepted.

No, basing it on Canadian unis. I called mine from Laos in 2007 and got copies of my transcript sent to Laos hassle free, from 1983.

• 4 weeks later...

Update. 

Yesterday morning I went back to immigration with 2 admin officers from my school. I had copies of the emailed letter of verification of my degree from NESCOT. The original was still in the mail but arrived that afternoon at my home. 

Emails of my correspondance to obtain the letter of verification were also required. 

Then they picked out a photocopy of a Thai translation of my degree. The admin officers came up to me and said, "where is the original of this?". I said "I don't even know what that is. I can't read all that Thai." It transpires that 14 years ago in my second school in Hat Yai, they made a Thai translation of my degree and the Kro Yai had signed it. They want the original.

I was given another month visa and told to produce the documents. As stated, the original letter of verification of my degree arrived at my house later that day. Thirty pounds, it cost me.

I or my wife have no idea where the Thai translation of my degree is. The other foreign teachers don't have this item and got there visas no problem. An admin officer said that because they saw this document, they want the original.

On the paper is the name of the translation service in Hat  Yai. Today, an admin officer called the service, and they said all records had been destroyed in a flood. 

She is now going to attempt to call my previous employer in Hat Yai to see if they have it. 

This document was made 14 years ago. It's NOT my degree, just a translation of it. It is not a requirement at all.

The story continues.... 

32 minutes ago, Jimjim1968 said:

Update. 

Yesterday morning I went back to immigration with 2 admin officers from my school. I had copies of the emailed letter of verification of my degree from NESCOT. The original was still in the mail but arrived that afternoon at my home. 

Emails of my correspondance to obtain the letter of verification were also required. 

Then they picked out a photocopy of a Thai translation of my degree. The admin officers came up to me and said, "where is the original of this?". I said "I don't even know what that is. I can't read all that Thai." It transpires that 14 years ago in my second school in Hat Yai, they made a Thai translation of my degree and the Kro Yai had signed it. They want the original.

I was given another month visa and told to produce the documents. As stated, the original letter of verification of my degree arrived at my house later that day. Thirty pounds, it cost me.

I or my wife have no idea where the Thai translation of my degree is. The other foreign teachers don't have this item and got there visas no problem. An admin officer said that because they saw this document, they want the original.

On the paper is the name of the translation service in Hat  Yai. Today, an admin officer called the service, and they said all records had been destroyed in a flood. 

She is now going to attempt to call my previous employer in Hat Yai to see if they have it. 

This document was made 14 years ago. It's NOT my degree, just a translation of it. It is not a requirement at all.

The story continues.... 

What type of school are you teaching, Govt or Private,  Grade Level   Prathom or University?   That the situation it all varies... Best of luck as you get this sorted out.

Government school. Mattayom. I've never experienced this kind of thing before. 

However, all the foreign teachers only received a month visa after the contract expired and the new one began. This is new, we all used to get a new year long visa straight after the old one expired. After that, my collegues got their one year visas (or extension of stay!). I was only issued another month extension as my situation is unresolved.

Archived