South African man, 27, found dead in Trang house

rooster59

South African man, 27, found dead in Trang house

By The Nation

A 27-year-old South African man was found dead in a house in Trang on Saturday morning after drinking beer with a countryman the previous night.

The body of Christopher Leigh was found in a room of the rented house in Tambon Tabthiang in Mueang district by Matthew Alexander, 22, at 8.40am. He was found lying face-down on his bed. An empty beer bottle was found in the room and several more outside. There was no trace of injury.

Alexander told police that he drank several bottles of beer with Leigh on Friday night and they went to bed at 10pm. When Leigh did not answer a knock on his door, Alexander entered the room and found the body.

Alexander, who teaches English at a local school, said Leigh came to visit his younger brother, also an English teacher, but the brother had left the kingdom and returned to South Africa.

The body was sent for an autopsy at the Songklanagarind Hospital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30311011

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-01

3 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

Why they keep mentioning beer again and again? You don't die just like that from drinking beer.

I know from experience that South Africans often do drink excessively.

Who knows how much alcohol he had in his system ?  It can be deadly.

13 minutes ago, maximillian said:

i've noticed the same about people from a number of other countries as well.

8 hours ago, maximillian said:

Who knows how much alcohol he had in his system ?  It can be deadly.

Still I don't believe you can die from drinking 5% ABV beer, unless you drink gallons of it . In the article are mentioned just a few bottles of beer scattered around.  I agree that excessive drinking can cause death, even if it is water! 

I believe there is more to the story!

36 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Its possible to drown or choke on your own vomit whilst sleeping. This is often referred to as pulmonary edema .

Good point. Not enough information given. It is true that unexperienced drinkers are likely to vomit from too much drinking, and in the wrong position while sleeping they could choke on their vomit.

Anyway not enough information given in the article, possibly drugs are involved as well.

RE "Alexander, who teaches English at a local school, said Leigh came to visit his younger brother, also an English teacher, but the brother had left the kingdom and returned to South Africa"

Ops...so the younger brother didnt bother to announce the older brother that he no longer will be in LOS when his brother  arrives...??...;)

21 hours ago, Rob13 said:

i've noticed the same about people from a number of other countries as well.

I'm not even British (American, rather) and it takes something well-put and right on the mark for me to say this, but "Bloody good," Rob13.  Right on. 

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Its possible to drown or choke on your own vomit whilst sleeping. This is often referred to as pulmonary edema .

Yes, this sounds like a strong possibility in this situation.  I was just reading about some singer who was about thirty years old when he drank himself under the table one night and went to bed to do this very thing. 

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

With ref to the article - "Alexander told police that he drank several bottles of beer with Leigh on Friday night and they went to bed at 10pm"

I doubt a combination of  "several beers only" and "early to bed" will cause "pulmonary edema"...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived