Vietjet Air -- Reviews

ricklev

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not flown them but they do have bad reputation within Vietnam. I wouldn't use them to connect with another flight at BKK or for doing anything important because they have so few flights . If the morning departure had a problem it's not like you can get on the next flight at 10. The next flight is in the evening. 

I did see the morning flight depart once , go up over Maya then start the banking to turn south as normal but it then started to turn north? It made hasty u-turn and a 18 landing (back the way it had just taken off) . Obviously some sort of emergency that required an immediate return to the airport. I was expecting some reports in the media about it but nothing?

It's a moot point as I did not include my middle name on the reservation and it is on my passport.  My fault really. The English version asks for middle name, but the Thai Google translated version does not and it defaulted to Thai.  It turns out that this is a source of extra income for them.  A number of reviews on travel in  Vietnam and one I read from Chiang Mai show people who had problems for lack of  a middle name and were forced to purchase a new ticket.  

I spoke with customer service and emailed them a copy of my passport at their request.  They kept my money, said I couldn't use the ticket and that there was nothing they could do about it.  

I know it was my fault.  No need to tell me that.  But I bet someone does.......

LIve and learn!

20 minutes ago, ricklev said:

It's a moot point as I did not include my middle name on the reservation and it is on my passport.  My fault really. The English version asks for middle name, but the Thai Google translated version does not and it defaulted to Thai.  It turns out that this is a source of extra income for them.  A number of reviews on travel in  Vietnam and one I read from Chiang Mai show people who had problems for lack of  a middle name and were forced to purchase a new ticket.  

I spoke with customer service and emailed them a copy of my passport at their request.  They kept my money, said I couldn't use the ticket and that there was nothing they could do about it.  

I know it was my fault.  No need to tell me that.  But I bet someone does.......

LIve and learn!

A general default rule all traditional airlines follow is first name and surname must match the passport. The middle name is not required basically because some people have long surnames and more than one middle name. There is a limit to the number of characters that the booking system can accept. Titles are optional also. Thaivietjet may have there own web only booking system but it shows what kind of airline they are when they give you grief over your middle name. 

I often use Vietjet in Vietnam. They are cheap and cheerful with new planes and better leg room than many budget airlines.

Their main problem in Vietnam is that the airports give priority to the government airline Vietnam Airlines. So when airports are busy Vietjet planes often lose their take off slot to their main rival, thereby being late. Also Vietnamese prefer to have a meal on board whereas Vietjet only provides food at an extra cost.

I flew with these turkeys to Saigon last October, never again, their online booking system messed up my name and after about 40 emails back and forth I ended up having to cancel the outbound ticket and re purchase at double the original flight cost, plus there was no credit for the original ticket, they then charged me to change the name on the return flight.

Just to top it all off, when I went to check in at Swampy they claimed I hadn't paid the extra fees, (which I had to pay with my credit card before they would make any changes) and hit me up for cash or they wouldn't let me on the flight.

They are now well and truly on my "Never Fly With Them Again" list

Vietjet is fine.

Cheap and cheerful.I have flown with them a few times.

Sure they have issues sometimes with delays and departures as they are well down the pecking order with the bigger airlines. They are OK, but a budget cheap airline, you get what you pay for.

When I do Bangkok to Hanoi, I usually try to get with Qatar. But that's because I get the frills with my membership for lounges, express check in, luggage etc.

I booked VietJet to enjoy the benefits of bikinis.  Ha.  Don't be fooled.

Bikinis only on select flights - whatever that means.

You'll be charged luggage fee for anything over 7 kilos so

either book another airline or travel light.  

Personally I will not fly Vietjet again.  

Good luck.

Flew that route at New Year 2016-2017. It was lovely flight, both ways. They are kind and courteous and full service with reserved seats (unlike most budget carriers).

I have a friend working in Vietnam who has flown them many times, in his travels between HCM and BKK, and loves them. I think their reputation is now very good, actually. Only issue for me: the small seats (for Asia sized people) and limited legroom, but experience same on AirAsia.

Saigon to Nha trang, two hours late taking off  -  Nha Trang to Saigon three hours late taking off, won;t fly them again, pay an extra $20 and fly on time...............no cold beer in the waiting rooms either.

46 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Saigon to Nha trang, two hours late taking off  -  Nha Trang to Saigon three hours late taking off, won;t fly them again, pay an extra $20 and fly on time...............no cold beer in the waiting rooms either.

Mmm,that's the flight i'm on.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Didn't you hear?  Everybody (who doesn't own proper shoes) puts ice in their beer.....except me...never, ever.  "mai yen; mai aow!"  

I have been with them twice..no problems, guess you  get what you pay for--One of the more scary flights I had was Royal Cambodian air, it was in the late 90s....they seem to be flying so low, then we hit some turbulence, the intercom came on saying if instructed please replace seats, tables and lean forward placing  your head between your legs....... A very loud voice from the back shouted out ----If I could put my head between my legs I wouldn't  F,,#,.ing  be flying to Cambodia.................:coffee1:

Forget the personal reviews here the only logical assessment of an airline should be from airlineratings with a dot com. 

And the only logical consideration should be safety full stop. Would you put service before safety,,, I don't think so.

Unfortunately this airline has only 2 stars for safety. Good luck with and have a safe journey. 

39 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Didn't you hear?  Everybody (who doesn't own proper shoes) puts ice in their beer.....except me...never, ever.  "mai yen; mai aow!"  

I don't like ice in beer either, but the beer must be ice cold. I prefer Jack and soda and must have plenty of ice, not just one cube as so many Eurps seem to like --go figure. However, I am a Yank and we know the formula.

I use them every month for my trip home. Used them yesterday and probably 8 return trips so far. Never a problem and happy to use them. I've never had my hand baggage checked for weight. Planes are ok. Staff ok...some lasses but often all male flights. Told that they only did one bikini flight as they got hammered by the government; but they are able to use that image as bikini airlines. Occasionally I use vietnam airlines but they're almost double the price.

Archived