What Degree And Where?

Norrad

While I'm quite lucky, in not having the new regulations affect me yet and just extended my visa and work permit for another year, I was thinking that maybe I should prepare myself for the future and further my education.

I currently hold a Bsc in Computer Science and a few minor certificates (none education related though). I am wondering, what courses should I take here in Thailand and what institutions do you recommend?

I am thinking about doing a BED degree but have had little success finding an online university to do it through, does anyone know of a good place to do it in Bangkok?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

I am thinking about doing a BED degree but have had little success finding an online university to do it through, does anyone know of a good place to do it in Bangkok?

Chula does a good BEd / MEd program as does ABAC. I am not sure how doing a degree in education by distance learning would give you the skills as a teacher which by it's very nature requires class room time in order to train you how to practice being an erm um teacher.

Casanundra, I think the original poster has over a year of real teaching experience. Granted, it's nice to get the supervised practice teaching after the course.

Related question: many foreign teachers in Thailand are from the USA, where I don't know of anything exactly like a PGCE. If we advise some American with a BA or BS to get another degree to teach, what are they supposed to do? Would it take 9 to 19 months of full time attendance, or much more time done in night school?

I have been teaching in Thailand for nearly three years, with considerable success. I have taught at a Government primary school, a private language school, a state enterprise company, a hospital, and at the Public Health Ministry. In all this time I have not held any degree in any subject.

With the Education Ministry tightening up on teacher qualifications, what would your advice be as to obtaining a suitable degree, so as to continue to teach English in a country I very much have great attachment to?

And how might I go about finding a suitable provider?

Laulen

Their ideal appears to be anyone with an Ed. degree above all other considerations, including Ph.D in the field, etc. Unfortunately Thailand is "advancing" in this direction ironically just as "state of the art" educational thinking in the English-speaking world is moving towards subject-degree emphasis. I'd recommend anything with an Ed., even if it's just a few credit hours. I'd recommend OP consider an M.Ed, as he already has one bachelor's.

"Steven"

Or you could try and join a real university and try Chula instead :o

Have a look here and scroll down to the letter E or T for education / English or teaching degree courses

http://www.grad.chula.ac.th/gradcu/

The aim is to help the PM and not to question/criticize the legitimacy of Educational Institutions in Thailand. FYI, MC is an accredited institution in Thailand and in more than 101 countries affiliated with Loma Linda University in California. Their nursing program is offered at Mission Hospital, Yommart.

Check out the list of universities in which MC is affiliated with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Seven...nd_universities

Chula is also a good university. I have been involved with external accreditation programs and a couple of professors from there.

Thanks everyone.

I have emailed and called a few local universities requesting more information from them. It appears that with my current degree, I could go directly into any of their masters programs and get a Masters in Education.

Kind regards,

Norrad

I think thats right. I did a Graduate Diploma in Education (one-year course) at Assumption University (ABAC), and could have been accepted for the MEd (two-year course) on the strength of my British BA. The course is organised so that you can do it and work full-time at the same time. All courses are weekday evenings and Saturdays.

Link to Assumption University Education Faculty

G

Thanks everyone.

I have emailed and called a few local universities requesting more information from them. It appears that with my current degree, I could go directly into any of their masters programs and get a Masters in Education.

Kind regards,

Norrad

Another option is a M. Ed. (TESOL) from the University of Wollongong in Australia. While the content is largely the same as the internal course, it can be done totally externally as a distance student. Most of their students live outside Australia. Its aimed at people teaching English internationally. UOW has a good reputation. This course was recommended to me by an English language teacher at Uni of Queensland who has herself taught in Europe for more than a decade. I'm considering starting it myself in 2007.