Hua Hin Songkran: Police say no water fights allowed after midnight and announce public booze ban

webfact

Hua Hin Songkran: Police say no water fights allowed after midnight and announce public booze ban

2am.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

HUA HIN: -- Police in Hua Hin have said that no water fights will be allowed in the city after midnight on 12th and 13th of April.

And they have banned the selling and consumption of alcohol in "public places" citing the attack on the Owen family last year that they say was fuelled by booze.

Region 7 commander Prasert Siriphannaphirat who has responsibility for the town said that many Thai and foreign tourists were expected, reported Thai News Agency.

He said that a special zone for splashing water had been set up but that the water throwing festivities would not be a free-for-all as in previous years.

He set a midnight limit on the fun.

Mentioning the attack on the Owen's from the UK last year, a story that reached a worldwide audience, he said that no distribution or drinking of alcohol would be allowed in public places.

TNA did not explain exactly what constituted a public place in relation to the order.

Prasert also mentioned the bomb outrages in the city in August.

Prasert said that he was confident that CCTV in the city was operational and the authorities would be keeping a close eye out for everyone's safety.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-04

Stopping distribution of alchohol is one thing, but stopping people drinking what they already have is much tougher.

I expect that while 7 will comply, the mum and pop shops will do a roaring trade and much grog will be consumed regardless of the cops.

7 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Is that a joke?No splashing after midnight.It peters out long before midnight anyway.6 pm would be sensible.They used to do that in Pattaya and surprisingly it actually worked.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00UD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This used to be the golden rule, 18-00hrs cut off this way people could enjoy the day then go out of an evening and have a meal without fear of getting soaked, this was when Pattaya was a nice place to live.

10 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Thailand is certainly becoming an ageing, conservative and gloomier place.  RIP carefree fun.

It's called Respect for others, I think morning time until 18:00hrs is long enough every day for a week to ten days (in Pattaya) is ample time to throw water

5 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

It's called Respect for others, I think morning time until 18:00hrs is long enough every day for a week to ten days (in Pattaya) is ample time to throw water

I agree with the respect part and certainly Im for restricting areas where people can play songkran.  But let people have a blast when they are within those areas and have a drink.

3 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

I agree with the respect part and certainly Im for restricting areas where people can play songkran.  But let people have a blast when they are within those areas and have a drink.

I hear what you are saying but can you honestly say that human nature being what it is people would restrict throwing water to any designated areas when drink is involved? I think not

On 04/04/2017 at 5:57 PM, Geoffggi said:

This used to be the golden rule, 18-00hrs cut off this way people could enjoy the day then go out of an evening and have a meal without fear of getting soaked, this was when Pattaya was a nice place to live.

Last time I ventured out at Songkran was to Krabi. 7pm and as you say you could rely on sitting have a meal and a drink without all the soaking.

Archived