Video: Monk goes bonkers as he avoids the draft!

webfact

Video: Monk goes bonkers as he avoids the draft!

3am.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

CHONBURI: -- An online video is going viral that shows a monk jumping for joy when he realizes he has avoided the military draft.

It has come down to the last two people at the selection process in Chonburi - an ordinary member of the public and the monk who is dressed in his saffron robes, reported Thai Rath.

Who will get the dreaded red card? Or will it be the blessed black?

The officer draws the card for the monk and it is black. The monk flies into the air in a spontaneous outpouring of joy - and some of his clothing even comes off!

There are smiles all round from army men looking on.

The clip was posted by "Paakaa Ranpunnon" to Youlike and had already been viewed almost half a million times by yesterday.

Thai Rath online caught up with the poster who said that it happened in Chonburi on Sunday.

He said that the other man reacting wildly - the one in the black shirt with a top knot hairstyle - had come with the monk and was also happy for him, taking off his own shirt and even kicking it.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-04

6 minutes ago, champers said:

I thought monks were exempt from the military draft.

I think they need to be permanent monks who have been ordained for at least 3 years. I am sure someone will know the precise rules and terminology.

Its really not protocol to show such emotions thus the amusement of onlookers but monks are too highly regarded here in Thailand per se.

Most are just people like us, not eunuchs, not saints.  Only a few have reached true enlightenment or are strict practitioners.

Many are seeking peace or enlightenment while others are trying to redeem themselves e.g. ex-convicts, people with HIV etc.

A lot do it in the belief they are giving good blessings to their mothers which is admirable but they do it for a week or month at most.

To me monkhood is just a ritual unless your truly seeking enlightenment and then you deserve the respect and I am saying this from a perspective as a Thai.  I never donate money to temples.  I prefer to support needy children because donating to temples is expecting blessings for oneself in the afterlife which is not truly giving in my book.  

Research ( http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/1057729)  has shown Thai people are generous, but that generosity is donating 75 billion baht a year mostly to temples.  I'd wish they would instead donate to education,  orphans, abused women, HIV foundations, prison reform programs etc.

Naive and wishful thinking I know but one's gotta have hope.

There is now two ways of escaping the army reform is to be a monk or some monk and to be a transgender what would be the third way oh yes prisoner .

Too bad the army would reform the bad one and upgrade the good one perhaps more education and being more civilized.

Archived