Taxi wars! Bangkok cabbies warned to "stay off our patch" by Pattaya drivers

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The infortmation is false in what Pattaya taxis charge going to Bangkok. They want 1800-2000 baht to take one to Bangkok. I have been told at least twice that this is because they return without a passenger, so they have to charge more. Meanwhile, a Bangkok taxi driver will have a "middle-man" or a bookie that he has contact with that will line up a returning passenger(s) for the return trip. The price will vary from 1000 baht to 1200 baht. The taxi book agent in Pattaya (those small wooden booths promoting tourist site bookings with the sign: TAXI gets a cut from the booking.  Normally a Bangkok taxi will not drive around in Pattaya looking for customers because of trouble with the police; however, they will usually have a couple "agents" that have customers lined up.  I use taxis all the time in Bangkok with no problem...I ask if the meter works, and the driver turns it on. In  Pattaya, I hardly use the taxis because they will not use the meter but have a set price; meanwhile numerous of them will sit on their arse in front of a shopping center or 4-5 star hotel waiting to dick around with a naïve tourist to take them some where. Question: Do you ever see Pattaya taxis (yellow & blue) driving around in Pattaya trying to pick up customers? No, they sit around waiting for customers to come to them. DUH

Why do thais even bother with a metre thats supposed to be enforced (which is clearly a joke to Farlang and a costly installation aside from the roof signage). Get rid of it as the BIB do f..k all anyway to police it. Just stick a sign on the window saying accept any fair that is accepted heading to Bangkok,

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

they're all scumbags ....  but UBER, All Thai Taxi's and the other one are good ...

BKK taxis and Pattaya cabs are cheats and don't use them...

Thankfully, that is untrue as far as all Bangkok's taxis are concerned.

28 minutes ago, toenail said:

The infortmation is false in what Pattaya taxis charge going to Bangkok. They want 1800-2000 baht to take one to Bangkok. I have been told at least twice that this is because they return without a passenger, so they have to charge more. Meanwhile, a Bangkok taxi driver will have a "middle-man" or a bookie that he has contact with that will line up a returning passenger(s) for the return trip. The price will vary from 1000 baht to 1200 baht. The taxi book agent in Pattaya (those small wooden booths promoting tourist site bookings with the sign: TAXI gets a cut from the booking.  Normally a Bangkok taxi will not drive around in Pattaya looking for customers because of trouble with the police; however, they will usually have a couple "agents" that have customers lined up.  I use taxis all the time in Bangkok with no problem...I ask if the meter works, and the driver turns it on. In  Pattaya, I hardly use the taxis because they will not use the meter but have a set price; meanwhile numerous of them will sit on their arse in front of a shopping center or 4-5 star hotel waiting to dick around with a naïve tourist to take them some where. Question: Do you ever see Pattaya taxis (yellow & blue) driving around in Pattaya trying to pick up customers? No, they sit around waiting for customers to come to them. DUH

Absolutely spot on. I tried getting to Bangkok the other day. My (booked) Bangkok taxi was late so I had to take a Pattaya one. Used Grabtaxi and surprise, surprise, the fare was 2000 Baht. To make it worse, the lazy driver didn't even want to go into Bangkok and dropped me at the first sight of a taxi in Bangkok, demanding me to change the vehicle and even demanding a tip. Freakin' hate all of them... Why can't they do their job honest?

Taxi drivers in Pattaya have warned Bangkok cabbies to stay away claiming that drivers from the capital are ripping off the public."

That’s hilarious :giggle: and Pattaya cabbies would never do anything like that…ooooh no:shock1:

well I call 800 baht to Utapao airport a blatant rip-off:bah:

15 hours ago, rvdk said:

Pattaya taxi's are scumbags, they don't want the Bangkok drivers because the Bangkok guys drive you back to Bangkok for 800 baht. 

Bangkok taxi's always 1500-1700 to and from airport. I said 1200baht once, he laughed, no take you.

No way. Last month I paid 1200 Baht from Nana which is a further 30 minutes from the airport. If going from the airport, I never pay more than 1000-1200 Baht. If going from Pattaya, the usual rate is 900-1100 Baht. 

Pattaya taxis won't go under 1600 though.

B800 may be the advertised price from Patts to Bangers, but like the Taxi Meter sign on top of all Pattaya taxis...NEVER actually the case.

Pattaya taxis are flat out LIARS making this 100% bullshit claim. :post-4641-1156693976:

If i was a Patteya Taxi driver i would feel safe from Bangkok taxi drivers because most of them refuse to take customers But let the war begin Thailand has an army well over 300,000 men Maybe they will be needed to break up the taxi drivers and stop the fighting what you think?

6 minutes ago, citzofwrld said:

Bangkok taxi's always 1500-1700 to and from airport. I said 1200baht once, he laughed, no take you.

Absolutely NOT always the case and never once for me. I do know people who have been 'taken for a ride' like you, but can speak from vast experience that not all of us overpay. Admittedly, sometimes it takes more than once...ever...but I just laugh at them in return and hail the next in the endless procession and isn't usually long before I'm on my way for B1000. 

23 minutes ago, citzofwrld said:

Taxis booked from one of those booths you see in Pattaya costs about 1000 Bht toll included.

Taxis from the airport are quoted as 1500 bht, but you can get them for 1300 bht (toll not included).

Back in 2006, I took a taxi with my TG from Pattaya to Bangkok and he used the meter all the way, costing me about 600 Bht. I was actually scared at the time it would cost
me double as it was not a set price. Taxi was a bkk taxi. He dropped me off in front of my hotel.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Suparit Bunsai, 37, of Pla Loma (Dolphin) taxis told 77Jowo reporters that Pattaya drivers have their own price structure for trips to the capital so that customers are not taken advantage of.

I just laughed so hard I may have peed a little.

So the Pattaya cabbie mafia is feeling the heat - good so.

For years they've been charging anything between THB 1'200 - THB 1'800 while a Bangkok cabbie does the same trip for THB 800 - THB 900. Arguably the Bangkok cabbie has an empty trip back filled but the same Pattaya mafia still charges THB 500 from Beach Road to the Dark Side - go figure ......... 

1 hour ago, gdgbb said:

Thankfully, that is untrue as far as all Bangkok's taxis are concerned.

While agree that BKK taxis are a cut above Patts, can't in any way understand how you can possibly say 'untrue for all BKK taxis'. Besides the fact that no one could possibly make such a claim, there are many of us...if not most...who have had bad experiences with BKK taxis.

Just sayin'...

52 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

Taxis booked from one of those booths you see in Pattaya costs about 1000 Bht toll included.

Taxis from the airport are quoted as 1500 bht, but you can get them for 1300 bht (toll not included).

Back in 2006, I took a taxi with my TG from Pattaya to Bangkok and he used the meter all the way, costing me about 600 Bht. I was actually scared at the time it would cost
me double as it was not a set price. Taxi was a bkk taxi. He dropped me off in front of my hotel.

I had the taxi from the airport turn on the meter just out of curiosity. It was some 1,400 Baht. So you're better off negotiating a set price.

17 minutes ago, wump said:

I had the taxi from the airport turn on the meter just out of curiosity. It was some 1,400 Baht. So you're better off negotiating a set price.

The last time I took a taxi from the airport was 3 years ago. I know they have increased the price per km since then. 
Not sure what the current set price is at the airport, but I think it was still 1500.

3 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

A Pattaya taxi will take you to BKK for 800 to 1000b - Bullxxxx ,those guys are thieves, just remember a Pattaya taxi is blue and yellow and a Bangkok taxi is green and yellow or they can be one color , like all orange, all pink ,all green -ect. Now you know the difference ,if you see a Bangkok taxi in Pattaya empty he will be on his way back mostly just after lunch you see most of them going back to Bangkok empty , he will gladly exept 600 to 700 baht once you explain you know he is going back empty, it helps him and it helps you, that's why the Pattaya taxies  are upset. 

You make a good point I thought the price was a bit low myself you just now confirmed it. 

Ive never hand a problem with Bangkok taxis ! Sometimes they do offer no meter, but at a low price, I know I've tried it when there was no other option. Tesco supermarket to Jomtien soi 9 , 200 baht once, 180 à few times. Bus station to 2 nd Road pattaya center , 300 baht. Now I use Bells, The very best service for Bangkok hotels and sometimes the airport when the time is right. I use private cars from Bangkok and Koh Chang, fantastic service and great prices. 

2 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

The last time I took a taxi from the airport was 3 years ago. I know they have increased the price per km since then. 
Not sure what the current set price is at the airport, but I think it was still 1500.

Every taxi from the airport will go for 1200 plus toll. Don't pay more. If you want it cheaper try to go to departures or book transport in advance.

1 hour ago, wump said:

Every taxi from the airport will go for 1200 plus toll. Don't pay more. If you want it cheaper try to go to departures or book transport in advance.

Best  I had gotten before was 1300 and I had to pay the toll.

Last 2 years I have used the bus service, roong rueang coach, very good price at only about 140 baht, but they lost a piece of my luggage on my last trip so  I probably will go for 
bell bus service next time.

I know it's kind of hard to haggle with their queue number system and their "official" price list says something like 1700 or 1800. So yes... for both sides, it's kind of take it or leave it once you're inside the taxi.

Archived