Taxi wars! Bangkok cabbies warned to "stay off our patch" by Pattaya drivers

webfact

6 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Never heard or experienced an 800 baht taxi ride to Bangkok. 1000 to Swampy

and 1200 to DMK. 

They used to be 800 baht until several years ago. But now they all quote 1000 baht. If you look around in Pattaya, you will still see them advertised for 800 baht.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crooks hate it when another crook is trying to horn in on their territory! Small minded petty thieves, most of them, with little regard for the law. 

And why are both sides still only "sometimes" using their meters, when the law says they MUST use their meters? Take their details and report them to the Land Transport office (don't argue with the driver, unless you are bigger and carry a gun!).

For a cheap ride to Bangkok just got to second road behind Marine Bar, the Bangkok cabbies often congregate there waiting for a return fare rather than drive back empty, later in the day better as they don't want to stay over

18 hours ago, cheechee said:

i recently offered 200 baht from soi 12 beech road to bus station and was turned down!

Which bus station? If North Rd of course that is not far...... 200 seems to be a minimum fare!

21 hours ago, rvdk said:

Pattaya taxi's are scumbags, they don't want the Bangkok drivers because the Bangkok guys drive you back to Bangkok for 800 baht. 

Totally agree. I goto the airport every month. Cheapest price I get offered is between 1200 and 1500 from Pattaya taxi theives. If I call my usual bkk taxi he will take me for 800.

In bkk they use meters for the most part. It is IMPOSSIBLE to find a taxi using a meter in Pattaya. 

1km to bus station 200 baht.

They should not be allowed to display the meter sign on their taxi.

12 hours ago, wump said:

I know it's kind of hard to haggle with their queue number system and their "official" price list says something like 1700 or 1800. So yes... for both sides, it's kind of take it or leave it once you're inside the taxi.

Never use the queue service as they have to pay and wait to queue. Go to door 2 4th floor departures and never pay more than 1200.

Never did this myself, but see people cross those barriers all the time to catch a taxi. Even some with their luggage. 
Myself I can't be bothered with it, a bus gets me to pattaya as well, although the ride takes longer but it is even cheaper compared
to haggling about the price at the drop off point on the 4th floor.

I prefer the bus. Safety, seat belts as well as cost. Downside is after you get dropped at terminus, the Pattaya vultures aka taxis circle to rip you off. I usually walk, don't bother haggling with the low life.

The Uber app is showing a fare of B1,250 from Jomtien (near Jomtien Complex) to Suvarnabhumi.

GrabCar is showing B1,700, while GrabTaxi is showing B1,680.

I'm pretty sure you can negotiate the price to the airport down to 800-1000 if you try hard and behave normal . Also shared minivans will do the trip for 4-500 baht, 

But again waste of money if you just jump on the big bus .  

3 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

Pattaya taxi 800 Bhat to Bangkok? That is news to me.
Why do they want 350 - 400 Bhat just to go to from 2nd road the dark side then?

Nothing new, actually it is old news. Nowadays they are asking for 1000 baht. 
You are thinking of the pattaya taxi mafia, the 800 baht quote is for bangkok taxi mafia. They wait in pattaya for a paying customer to make a return trip to bangkok.

On 05/04/2017 at 2:35 PM, wump said:

Kind of hard nowadays with their silly barriers and security guys watching out. Especially if your luggage is heavy. If just walking around with a backpack, that might be more easy.

I was there only 3 weeks ago and the 1 direction turnstiles have been modified for both directions. I was shown this by the security guard as he saw me starting to take my luggage off the trolley.

I hired a taxi on Soi 2 going back to Bangkok,  and the next morning I got an old retired guy in a beat up old sedan. I didn't really care, and actually I was quite happy to help him out. I would rather support a guy like this than the taxi scams going around.

1 hour ago, scoutman360 said:

I hired a taxi on Soi 2 going back to Bangkok,  and the next morning I got an old retired guy in a beat up old sedan. I didn't really care, and actually I was quite happy to help him out. I would rather support a guy like this than the taxi scams going around.

Well i think u just been lured into a taxi scam just so u know?

On 04/04/2017 at 7:11 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Absolutely NOT always the case and never once for me. I do know people who have been 'taken for a ride' like you, but can speak from vast experience that not all of us overpay. Admittedly, sometimes it takes more than once...ever...but I just laugh at them in return and hail the next in the endless procession and isn't usually long before I'm on my way for B1000. 

Exactly,enough taxis in Bangkok to play the waiting game,never too long.Pattaya taxis dont even enter my thought process,same mini vans.

On 05/04/2017 at 7:06 PM, tiocfaidh said:

I prefer the bus. Safety, seat belts as well as cost. Downside is after you get dropped at terminus, the Pattaya vultures aka taxis circle to rip you off. I usually walk, don't bother haggling with the low life.

Just walk across the road for a songtaew,get you a lot closer,maybe to the door.

Archived