One bad-ass cabbie from HELL!

The missus and I flew into BKK at this airport last night from Philippines. The Immigration arrival was packed... nearly an hour before we get the 30 days visa waiver. Downstairs and out on the street... we get the ticket from the machine and head to bay 23.

But this is one bad-ass cabbie from HELL. My filipina lady and I both smile and give our best Sawadees. But this taxi dude just scowls and no feedback at all. Down the road a bit and we arrive at the highway toll booth. Cabbie pays and I politely ask him how much is the toll fee. He scowls and shouts at me... more like screaming.... its not my business! Then the second toll booth on our way to downtown. ..But this time I dont ask him...

It crossed my mind that maybe the missus and me should get out this cab as soon as possible, cause who knows what this loonie had in mind for us. But we were both tired and hungry after an all-day air trip, both newbie tourists, so we decided to let it play out and let the cards fall as they may.

Well fortuanately for us, we arrived safely at our Sukhumvit destination. But Cranky cabbie demanded 1,000 baht to settle the bill, way over the taxi meter fare of 270 baht, plus the highway toll charge.

Okay, we were both tired but we were at our destination... safely.  So I reluctantly paid him and he left....I was NOT happy to pay him so much... who knows if this dude was on drugs... or maybe had a knife under his seat...but my Philippines missus signaled me to let it go... "Drop it honey", she said. Hmmmm.... hehe

I would have asked him if it wasn't my business to know how much he paid on the highway then why would it become my business all of a sudden when it's time to pay. No thanks not my business. 

Too much flowery emotional language for me to take you seriously - no offence intended.

If you had arrived at your accommodation (logical assumption) then first step is to call the doorman or hotel staff before paying and question the 1,000 baht charge.

Not that difficult to get out of the cab, and get the bags while you delay him to 'get the money ready' - and get some help.

Or stand your ground.

Writing a long-winded story about it after the fact - inferring that he was on drugs or supposedly having a weapon under the seat - doesn't really add to your credibility.  

Not doubting your story, perhaps its all true - but you're too late mate.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good example for why I always go to the departures level and get a taxi who has just let off passengers. There are lots of them standing around looking for a fare, and I can pick the driver and car I like. If a driver seems crazy or belligerent or amped up on meth, I just say never mind and ask another one.

Never had a problem that way...not even once.

6 minutes ago, bubba said:

This is a good example for why I always go to the departures level and get a taxi who has just let off passengers. There are lots of them standing around looking for a fare, and I can pick the driver and car I like. If a driver seems crazy or belligerent or amped up on meth, I just say never mind and ask another one.

Never in 20 years have I come across a taxi driver who seems:

- crazy

- belligerent

- amped up on meth

How many times have you SERIOUSLY had the above happen that you would say 'never mind and ask for another one'

I call BS to this.

5 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

- crazy

- belligerent

- amped up on meth

How many times have you SERIOUSLY had the above happen that you would say 'never mind and ask for another one'

I call BS to this.

Call it what you wish, but after living in BKK for more than 15 years and using taxis from the airport once or twice every month,  I have had examples of each. Seems that Ganador may have had a ringer that was all three of the above in one driver.

Good to hear that it seems you have been more fortunate than I.

1 minute ago, bubba said:

Call it what you wish, but after living in BKK for more than 15 years and using taxis from the airport once or twice every month,  I have had examples of each. 

Good to hear that it seems you have been more fortunate than I.

No admission to exaggerating your claims?

Detail your examples please, don't hold back on letting us know about the 1 or 2 times every month for 15 years that you have refused a taxi because they were crazy, belligerent or drugged up. 

Your credibility is sorely lacking here.

18 minutes ago, bubba said:

This is a good example of why I always have a taxi I have booked in advance waiting for me.

TO brewsterbudgen:
I never received any receipt. There was a queue number dispensed by the ticket machine on the sidewalk outside the airport. I dont recall if there was a "complaint" phone number printed on it. My cab driver refused to give me the receipts from the two highway toll booths.

TO Argus Tuft:
Your advice about the hotel doorman may possibly be useful if we were staying at a hotel...but we were not.

TO bubba:

Your advice to "go to the departures level and get a taxi who has just let off passengers" is definitely useful... I might try that next time.

OK Ganador, and do give it a go as it works well for me. I don't know the queues are like, if any, at the usual arrivals taxis, but there is always a surfeit of taxis looking for fares at the departures level, so there is never a wait. No 50 baht airport taxi fee as well, so if the driver is good, I just round it off and give him the 50 baht rather than to AOT.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 8:05 AM, Ganador said:

TO brewsterbudgen:
I never received any receipt. There was a queue number dispensed by the ticket machine on the sidewalk outside the airport. I dont recall if there was a "complaint" phone number printed on it. My cab driver refused to give me the receipts from the two highway toll booths.

TO Argus Tuft:
Your advice about the hotel doorman may possibly be useful if we were staying at a hotel...but we were not.

TO bubba:

Your advice to "go to the departures level and get a taxi who has just let off passengers" is definitely useful... I might try that next time.

I know that it is to late now but for next time.

The prices for the toll booth are mentioned at the toll booth cabins. 

So it very easy for the passenger to see what the price is.

Put this price with the 50 Baht surcharge from the airport to the meter price and you know what to pay.

Never accept a price like what happened to you. Now the driver thinks that he can get away with it with every tourist.

Better to step out of the taxi at your hotel (leave 1 person inside so he doesn't drive off with your luggage) and ask the hotel staff for help.

Personally i always keep my overnight suitcase with me in the cab so i can get out if required without my luggage in the booth of the car.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 2:32 AM, Argus Tuft said:

- crazy

- belligerent

- amped up on meth

I call BS to this.

I had one 8 years ago.

In short : we wanted to go to the royal palace, he suggested to take the boat as it would be faster with all the traffic, we thought he meant the public boat service, so we agreed to let him take us to the boat service, but ended up being a scam of a private boat owner charging us 7000 baht in total for going site seeing in a boat. We declined and walked back to the road.
The taxi driver passed us on the way back and got mad and started yelling, he refused to take us back to the palace, so I offered him 200 baht for 1km drive so we got back on the main road to get another cab. Instead he dropped us off even further from the main road and all the way he was screaming at my girlfriend (she was thai).
In the end we got another cab that happened to pass that site and he took us to the palace without complaining at meter price.

12 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

I had one 8 years ago.

In short : we wanted to go to the royal palace, he suggested to take the boat as it would be faster with all the traffic, we thought he meant the public boat service, so we agreed to let him take us to the boat service, but ended up being a scam of a private boat owner charging us 7000 baht in total for going site seeing in a boat. We declined and walked back to the road.
The taxi driver passed us on the way back and got mad and started yelling, he refused to take us back to the palace, so I offered him 200 baht for 1km drive so we got back on the main road to get another cab. Instead he dropped us off even further from the main road and all the way he was screaming at my girlfriend (she was thai).
In the end we got another cab that happened to pass that site and he took us to the palace without complaining at meter price.

So after being scammed you stepped back into the same taxi for a 1 km drive which you easily could walk.

And then you complain and be surprised  that he scams you again.

I would say that you asked for it.

On 5/6/2017 at 4:41 AM, merijn said:

So after being scammed you stepped back into the same taxi for a 1 km drive which you easily could walk.

And then you complain and be surprised  that he scams you again.

I would say that you asked for it.

No he was just a plain <deleted>. 
Even Thai people are capable of being total <deleted>. This was one of them.
1) the scam failed in the first place, I didn't take the boattrip.
2) We drove a bit further than the 1 km drive up to the road, he just wouldn't let us exit where we wanted. 

Did I ask for it, certainly not, as I had little options left but walk the +1km road in a place neither me or my girlfriend are familiar. 
It could have been a far longer walk and even never mind the wait time for another taxi. A good thing there is something like Uber now.

On 5/5/2017 at 7:42 PM, Argus Tuft said:

You got back in to the taxi after knowing the driver tried to scam you. Speaks volumes. Sorry, no sympathy here.

He tried to scam, he didn't try to rob us at gun point a big difference.

Nobody is trying to illicit any sympathy, from the replies I read from you that would hardly be worth anything.

Last Sunday i got a taxi at Suvarnabhumi and went to Sukhumvit Soi 22. He asked me if I wanted him to take the tollway. I told him it was up to him. He did take the tollway. He delivered me to the hotel and asked if 500 baht was OK. He was polite and although 500 baht was too much, I paid him. No way I would have paid 1,000 baht, surly driver or not.

... sad about some of the taxi drivers...in the early days here and of learning Thai, it used to be fun BS and practicing Thai with the drivers, oh they would all say you spoke well but that was the fun of it.  They were cool as well.   Pick up from the Airport DM back was alway top floor and pick up the drop ops and the Taxi drivers took you quickly.   They were a great source of information.    Did not mind giving extra...  Yes, took the toll, who wants to be in traffic.   When asked where is a good Pizza place other than the chains,  they could deliver.   Always remembered,  7-11 stops on the way home and something to eat for the driver.

Yes they were cool.. and some are still.   

However, I have had my share of Turkeys, crazy old coots that wish to F with you... but it was always... stop  here.. pay get out and get another taxi and be done with the idiot.

Funny back with TOXHHIT was here,  I would never take a taxi with a driver who wore a red headband...

Been a mix... young guys driving are cool and some of the older dude are cool.

... sometimes all in the way you first approach them... 

It sounds from the OP as though he's not that familiar with Thailand, I mean, why would you wai a taxi driver! I suspect also the OP didn't confirm with the driver that he was going to use the meter which was clearly never switched on in the first place, I mean, why would a passenger sit in a cab with the meter switched off - you didn't question why? All in all it is no surprise the OP got hit for 1k baht at his destination, you didn't help yourself I'm afraid.

• 3 weeks later...

That's why UBER is such a sucess, when one sees what type of criminals drive the regular taxi meter cars in Bangkok...if the authorities do not take action, people will start to go elswhere to spend their money on holiday as the bangkok taxi ripoffs against farangs is getting a bit to far...

• 2 weeks later...

One simple solution - use UBER...taxi drivers all across the world have a very decent proportion of cheats...Bangkok drivers are no exception and the taxi cowboys at Suvarnabhumi are getting bad to worse when trying to cheat tourists on refusing to turn on the meter or to cheat on the highway toll fare...why otherwise did Uber become a billion dollar venture practically overnight?

Archived