Midweek Rant: Seven deadly days – it’s just a Songkran smokescreen

webfact

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Riding in the back of pickups is already illegal. All they are really saying is, for a change and until they can't be bothered again, they intend to enforce it. Which they won't because it would affect tens of thousands of people a day.

I think the BIB are aware of your last statement and the country would come to a standstill if all the laws were strictly enforced and the economy would take a dipsh*T. They the BIB do just enough enforcement to keep the wheels creaking along. 

2 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

I applaud the writer of this article... hit the nail right on the head!!   Have to agree with many of the comments already made particularly about having it translated to Thai and passed onto all national newspapers for publication.  I see todays news that FINALLY they are making riding in the back of pickups ILLEGAL... NOT BEFORE TIME!!

Clearly, judging by your final sentence, you mistakenly believe that the illegality of riding in the backs of pick-ups will be enforced after Songkran has passed.  We have yet to witness all the inevitable protests from farmers, builders etc claiming (perhaps with some justification) that they cannot afford alternative transport for their workers, after which the new law may not actually be changed but it will be quietly forgotten and not enforced.

As an aside, in a 9 km night-time journey from Hua Hin towards the H.H. airport, my wife and I passed 5 motor cycles with no rear lights, one of which drove straight through a red light (which indicated 44 seconds to go prior to changing to green) plus 2 motor cycles with side cars attached which again, more dangerously, had no rear lights.  We see this on every journey and yet we have never seen or heard of anyone being stopped for this very dangerous offence.   Somehow, I feel that, as a farang, I would be held responsible if I collided with any of them in my car, as I have already had one personal experience of paying through my insurance company for an accident involving a young motorcylist who drove into the rear of my car as I was making a rright turn after signalling for 100 metres or so.

As a result, I was obliged to spend over 4 hours at the police station with my Insurer before being told to call back the next morning for a meeting to decide who was responsible for the accident.  When I arrived the next morning at the appointed time I was relieved to hear that my insurer had dealt with everything on my behalf and I was free to go after signing a piece of paper written in Thai, which I subsequently discovered was a receipt for a fine of 500 baht.  The motor cyclist had no driving licence, no insurance, no road tax  and was not wearing a helmet.  All he was able to show was his I.D. card, and although he was clearly at fault for the accident, without my knowledge, my insurance company paid for the damage to my car and for the repairs to the motor bike.  Amazing Thailand!

4 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I think the BIB are aware of your last statement and the country would come to a standstill if all the laws were strictly enforced and the economy would take a dipsh*T. They the BIB do just enough enforcement to keep the wheels creaking along. 

You mean they do just enough enforcement to keep their wheels running smoothly.

What can you say? Spot on, the Somchai's in the police and transport dept really don't give a fig for their own citizens, so long as I'm all right "JacK" we'll continue to play the game, blame everyone except yourself, and merryly slide across the road instead making a turn into your house, not look when pulling out or doing a 'U' turn and so it goes on....so long as "they" don't kill or injure me or mine they can fill their boots!!!  :sad::wai:

I agree with most of the comments above. I think the problem should be approached in stages ..... not just broadly saying we are going the clamp down nationally ...... too much for the RTP & average Thai to comply with.

Firstly, it's got to be the unlicenced kids on motorcycles & the families all on one motorcycle without a sidecar ...... it's got to stop. I've seen "week old" babies in their mother's arms each & every day on motorcycles, which makes me cringe, but even worse is where the father is texting friends on his mobile whilst riding, putting his entire family at risk!!  ........ for f##k sake <deleted>? Adult motorcyclists need to obey the highway code & respect other users. I have ridden here for 15yrs without incident (lucky me), but near misses are common due to thoughtless individuals that seem to have a "deathwish". If I can ride safely here anyone can ....... it just needs a different mindset. RTP have a mountain to climb, but they need to get really tough to make any impact on the yearly statistics. I think it's pretty well documented that 80% of all all fatalities are due to motorcycle accidents ..... don't need a PhD to work that one out! 

Secondly, parents must be responsible for their offspring, discipline & respect for others must be taught. It all stems from family values,  taking responsibility, ensuring the children are brought up correctly & become upstanding citizens. Underaged kids cannot just ride the "family" motorcycle on the road without a licence. It's the parents responsibility to stop this by ensuring the ignition key is not readily available, as every loss of a young life is tragic. It's a tall order, but failing this there is no hope ......... common sense must prevail if this carnage is to end.

Thirdly, the mentality here must been addressed ........ "jai yen yen" is part of their vocabulary, but get on a motorcycle or behind the wheel of a car that's immediately "out the window" ..... they become maniacs. This "me first" atittude must stop .... the highway code must be obeyed & enforced, it's only the RTP that can enforce the law! The driving tests must be improved with a real emphasis on safety & highway codes. Laws must be passed that make it legal for the RTP to impound & confiscate the vehicle. Sell it if convicted in court, is the only way the serious offender will understand the seriousness of his actions. Anger management is also a serious issue in Thailand ..... they must be all born with "short fuses". It's so upsetting to see & individuals being beaten up by a 'group of thugs" is beyond the belief of a normal human being.

Lastly, I truly think if everyone agrees to be on the same page there is every chance that things will be seen to improve immediately here. Sadly, as I've stated it's a tall order, mainly due to the selfishness ( "me first"), loss of face (Thainess), the immediate (inward & personal) anger when everyday problems arise etc etc .......... it's a real explosive cocktail, which we see everyday. I wish there was a solution, but it's obvious it will never ever change .......... so I really as myself why I bother to post this?? :-)

The solution for me in retirement is to; keep my fridge full of ice cold beer, enjoy the weather & go fishing, enjoy the beach, enjoy shopping in local markets, cook fresh everyday at home, plan ahead your evening's entertainment, live the life & pray the rate of exchange improves ............... stay healthy everyone ;-)

BTW ...... travelling around Thailand roads has never been an enjoyable experience for me ..... it's proven time & time again too dangerous getting from A to B. Even island hopping has been mostly a bad experience for me. However, under my own steam without any timetable I can eventually reach my destination, which is ok, but it would be really nice to fully integrate more in society here .......... there is such a great divide :-( 

It is the copycat attitude in Thailand and lack of CCTV, police and mai pen rai. Also a persons life means less to Thais.

For example. I travel everyday on a busy duel carriage way. This is what all drivers do and copy.

-Pull out into fast running traffic without looking.

- Tail gate, all do this, 2 or 3 feet from car to car.

- Turn off either without warning or without indicating.

- Use the whole width of the road including hard shoulder.

- Cross 2 or 3 lanes in one go to turn off.

That's just 4 wheel vehicles

Motorcycles are the worst:-

- travel to fast

- no helmet

- weave in and out of stationary and slow moving traffic with inches to spare.

- Again the driver rarely looks when turning.

- carry young children or babies in unsafe ways.

- women who sit side saddle on motorcycles as passenger's.

- the true fact that mostly at night people are driving around on their motorcycle drunk.

-lastly my favourite one. The motorcycle expert who is so skilled at driving motorcycle's he or she can drive with one hand with the other hand resting on their lap. How I have wished to see this type hit something and go Summersaulting through the air.

P.S

The mini-van driver:-

-Over takes motorcycles then slams on his breaks to let off one of his passengers or to pick one up. Also crosses all 3 lanes in one movement to do the same.

These guys have had me in fits of road rage many times.

15 hours ago, Jessi said:

Well written & spot on in every aspect....It is total carnage out there.

It's not spot on, the first paragraph is incorrect songkran is just over a week away (not 2-3 wks) begins 13th nationally. Pattaya 18th. 

5 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

It is the copycat attitude in Thailand and lack of CCTV, police and mai pen rai. Also a persons life means less to Thais.

For example. I travel everyday on a busy duel carriage way. This is what all drivers do and copy.

-Pull out into fast running traffic without looking.

- Tail gate, all do this, 2 or 3 feet from car to car.

- Turn off either without warning or without indicating.

- Use the whole width of the road including hard shoulder.

- Cross 2 or 3 lanes in one go to turn off.

That's just 4 wheel vehicles

Motorcycles are the worst:-

- travel to fast

- no helmet

- weave in and out of stationary and slow moving traffic with inches to spare.

- Again the driver rarely looks when turning.

- carry young children or babies in unsafe ways.

- women who sit side saddle on motorcycles as passenger's.

- the true fact that mostly at night people are driving around on their motorcycle drunk.

-lastly my favourite one. The motorcycle expert who is so skilled at driving motorcycle's he or she can drive with one hand with the other hand resting on their lap. How I have wished to see this type hit something and go Summersaulting through the air.

P.S

The mini-van driver:-

-Over takes motorcycles then slams on his breaks to let off one of his passengers or to pick one up. Also crosses all 3 lanes in one movement to do the same.

These guys have had me in fits of road rage many times.

My God ru bored?

6 hours ago, Daveyh said:

I agree with most of the comments above. I think the problem should be approached in stages ..... not just broadly saying we are going the clamp down nationally ...... too much for the RTP & average Thai to comply with.

Firstly, it's got to be the unlicenced kids on motorcycles & the families all on one motorcycle without a sidecar ...... it's got to stop. I've seen "week old" babies in their mother's arms each & every day on motorcycles, which makes me cringe, but even worse is where the father is texting friends on his mobile whilst riding, putting his entire family at risk!!  ........ for f##k sake <deleted>? Adult motorcyclists need to obey the highway code & respect other users. I have ridden here for 15yrs without incident (lucky me), but near misses are common due to thoughtless individuals that seem to have a "deathwish". If I can ride safely here anyone can ....... it just needs a different mindset. RTP have a mountain to climb, but they need to get really tough to make any impact on the yearly statistics. I think it's pretty well documented that 80% of all all fatalities are due to motorcycle accidents ..... don't need a PhD to work that one out! 

Secondly, parents must be responsible for their offspring, discipline & respect for others must be taught. It all stems from family values,  taking responsibility, ensuring the children are brought up correctly & become upstanding citizens. Underaged kids cannot just ride the "family" motorcycle on the road without a licence. It's the parents responsibility to stop this by ensuring the ignition key is not readily available, as every loss of a young life is tragic. It's a tall order, but failing this there is no hope ......... common sense must prevail if this carnage is to end.

Thirdly, the mentality here must been addressed ........ "jai yen yen" is part of their vocabulary, but get on a motorcycle or behind the wheel of a car that's immediately "out the window" ..... they become maniacs. This "me first" atittude must stop .... the highway code must be obeyed & enforced, it's only the RTP that can enforce the law! The driving tests must be improved with a real emphasis on safety & highway codes. Laws must be passed that make it legal for the RTP to impound & confiscate the vehicle. Sell it if convicted in court, is the only way the serious offender will understand the seriousness of his actions. Anger management is also a serious issue in Thailand ..... they must be all born with "short fuses". It's so upsetting to see & individuals being beaten up by a 'group of thugs" is beyond the belief of a normal human being.

Lastly, I truly think if everyone agrees to be on the same page there is every chance that things will be seen to improve immediately here. Sadly, as I've stated it's a tall order, mainly due to the selfishness ( "me first"), loss of face (Thainess), the immediate (inward & personal) anger when everyday problems arise etc etc .......... it's a real explosive cocktail, which we see everyday. I wish there was a solution, but it's obvious it will never ever change .......... so I really as myself why I bother to post this?? :-)

The solution for me in retirement is to; keep my fridge full of ice cold beer, enjoy the weather & go fishing, enjoy the beach, enjoy shopping in local markets, cook fresh everyday at home, plan ahead your evening's entertainment, live the life & pray the rate of exchange improves ............... stay healthy everyone ;-)

BTW ...... travelling around Thailand roads has never been an enjoyable experience for me ..... it's proven time & time again too dangerous getting from A to B. Even island hopping has been mostly a bad experience for me. However, under my own steam without any timetable I can eventually reach my destination, which is ok, but it would be really nice to fully integrate more in society here .......... there is such a great divide :-( 

Another one that must be bored.

yes of course this original author is spot on; problem is the social parasite called mai pen rai; thais care little about anything save themselves , individually, and hide behind 'tradition', 'culture', mai pen rai, (god help us all 'thainess');

road carnge will only get worse;

western logic means less-than-zero to them; they look at us , even those of us here for many years , with multiple advanced degrees from top USA universities, in the nature of dogs; that is what we mean to them

On 4/5/2017 at 9:17 AM, upena said:

Would also help if the Thai Government counted all deaths from accidents and not just those who die at the scene of the accident. Numbers would be way higher if they counted those who were rushed to the hospital and died hours later but these figures are not included in the Seven Deadly Days numbers

Do please read the following website. There's a line in there, under the heading 'The following are some of the statistics about deaths from the combined seven days:' that may have you reconsidering this statement.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/04/full-road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-2016/

Archived