Today is D-Day as police get tough on seatbelts and sitting in the back of pick-ups

webfact

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

" D-Day as police get tough on seat-belts and sitting in the back of pick-ups."  ??

Sorry to break in on the bickering,  l was looking at a truck yesterday with 4 doors of such the ones with a rear opening doors with opposite opening,  some on here must have one.

( l remember them being called suicide doors )  anyway there was a nice comfy seat behind driver & passenger,  personally if it was fitted with seat-belts l could this as a solution to there on-coming fate.

The doors on those pickups cannot be opened unless the front doors are opened first.

I used to have a 1939 Standard 8 2 door with "suicide doors" and also a 1955 Rover 90 4 door with the back doors as "suicide doors" .

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, billd766 said:

The doors on those pickups cannot be opened unless the front doors are opened first.

I used to have a 1939 Standard 8 2 door with "suicide doors" and also a 1955 Rover 90 4 door with the back doors as "suicide doors" .

Yeah OK but fit seat belts do you think  the Thai authorities would consider them to be excluded from the new rules in seat-belt law. ??

If l was in charge l would exempt them. :biggrin:

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2560 at 6:22 AM, jaltsc said:

Even if people use seatbets, nothing will be done about using children as human air cushions by having them ride on the front seat passengers's laps, instead of child safety seats. I am sure they will also make exceptions for people riding in the back of pick ups if they are being transported to work. And of course, drunk revelers riding in the back of a pick up is much safer than sober riders doing the same just because it occurs in a designated area. 

Is the prerequisite for making laws here a total frontal lobotomy?

Was shocked to see a very young child actually sitting on the dashboard (his back against the windscreen, facing his very loving and caring parents) as their big SUV roared past me the other day. Suppose I shouldn't have been shocked by this though!

45 minutes ago, Dodgydownunder said:

Was shocked to see a very young child actually sitting on the dashboard (his back against the windscreen, facing his very loving and caring parents) as their big SUV roared past me the other day. Suppose I shouldn't have been shocked by this though!

Another dangerous driving scenario, paying customers be damned; does anybody remember the video clip maybe a year back, driver of tour bus has his very small baby across his lap / arms and giving the baby a bottle of milk, at same time driving the tour bus. 

On 04/04/2017 at 11:08 PM, billy54 said:

I don't want to discuss the rights or wrongs of this , opinions' we all have them , but is this the thin end of the nanny state wedge , 

nanny state? if only its a full on Mill state or had you not noticed

Just about every country in the world has seat-beat laws, they are there for two reasons

(1) to save lives

(2) to save the hospitals time and the heath budget

This means we do not have to pay so much tax

no brainier just belt-up and enjoy tomorrow

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

Both of which if involved in an impact  with modern vehicles  would  sorely test the  crush  zones and  come out  with  minor  paint  damage ! lol

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Both of which if involved in an impact  with modern vehicles  would  sorely test the  crush  zones and  come out  with  minor  paint  damage ! lol

Back in 1962 I clipped a Jaguar mark V on his front bumper with my o/s/r wing while trying to park in Bournemouth.

Net result my Standard 8 almost had the wing ripped off.

Not even a scratch on the Jaguar.

Standard_Flying_8_1939_14269086884.jpg

jaguar markk v.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Xaos said:

Is this not allowed? And why? Its got seats and seatbelts right? I domt get this one. It was designed to carry ppl.tapatalk_1492920295923.jpeg

How do you know it's not allow,  talking to the Mrs only yesterday about the suggested new laws she said the gov are not going ahead with things only some things.

Anyone know the latest reports.

5 hours ago, Xaos said:

Is this not allowed? And why? Its got seats and seatbelts right? I domt get this one. It was designed to carry ppl.tapatalk_1492920295923.jpeg

Actually, no, it was not designed for passengers. The extended cab space does not have seat belts, nor does it meet other safety standards for passengers. Yes, it does have a padded bench upon which people will obviously sit, but it was not fitted to meet passenger safety standards so that the extended cab pickup model has only one row of seats. This qualifies it for a lower tax bracket than pickups with double cabs and proper seats in the second row, which are subject to a higher excise tax.

Only yesterday at the local Village market.. a Toyota Yaris came along side and out got 4 Ladies and 4 teenage girls, cannot see that being any safer than sitting in the back of a extended cab pickup..  

59 minutes ago, ignis said:

Only yesterday at the local Village market.. a Toyota Yaris came along side and out got 4 Ladies and 4 teenage girls, cannot see that being any safer than sitting in the back of a extended cab pickup..  

59 minutes ago, ignis said:

Only 8 got out the car wow Come on do you think the cops will enforce this law NO WAY Going for my walk in the park at 5.30 this morning  Still a bit dark  10 minute drive to Park In that 10 minutes I saw 2 cars with no lights on 4 motorbikes and 1 car go through red lights One Tuk Tuk stuck halfway across the road doing a U turn blocking the traffic One car in wrong lane doing a right hand turn so he could turn first 4 cars speeding. Now if i can see all this in 10 minutes and nothing is done about it what chance do you think these keystone cops have of enforcing this law. The Thai people know the cops wont dont anything about enforcing this law. And you know what? THEY ARE RIGHT 

On 4/5/2017 at 6:12 AM, mallyrd said:

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this "crackdown" provided it is carried out across the board.

I appreciate this "crackdown" for safety reasons. I think it is shortsighted in that the govt. "takes away" but doesn't "give" e.g. what transportation remedies does the govt provide? Are there regular safe buses to all outlying areas? A wait for "the bus" from KaengKhro to Khonkaen vie Nongruea and villages in between can have a wait up to 4 hours. It's not surprising many opt for a more convenient way of traveling even if it is a bit more dangerous.

I don't want to discuss the rights or wrongs of this , opinions' we all have them , but is this the thin end of the nanny state wedge , 

Rubbish. A state which is trying to bring a little sanity to the roads? And this is wrong? Get real mate.

They should ban the "songtawe" pickups too as there are no real seats or seatbelts so it's as lethal to ride in the back of those as it is in the back of a private pickup. I also hope they will apply this to all school buses and vans as many of them don't even have seats, so no seatbelts and are usually over crowded with over 20 children in a van or in the back of a pickup!

3 hours ago, ignis said:

At a police check-point maybe a fine would be issued unless one or more of the ladies is a policeman's wife or mia noi. :smile:

No problem with this policy as long as the government comes up with a comprehensive plan to improve public and private transport. Or they can delay military spending and use the money to provide free seats installation on all pick-ups. :sleepy:

2 hours ago, selftaopath said:

I appreciate this "crackdown" for safety reasons. I think it is shortsighted in that the govt. "takes away" but doesn't "give" e.g. what transportation remedies does the govt provide? Are there regular safe buses to all outlying areas? A wait for "the bus" from KaengKhro to Khonkaen vie Nongruea and villages in between can have a wait up to 4 hours. It's not surprising many opt for a more convenient way of traveling even if it is a bit more dangerous.

Out in rural Khampaeng Phet where I live the only public transport is 10 buses a day to/from BKK and the baht buses which go to KPP on the route 1117 when they have enough passengers. If you are not on either of those roads, then the alternative is a motorbike, bicycle or walking.

Archived