Public backlash as Thais slam new pick-up passenger rules

webfact

9 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Daft question but can you pay the increased cash for tax and get the truck classed as a passenger vehicle ? it probably is based on the model of truck.

Should be possible. Excise tax on a double cab is 15%. but I think you would also need to go through a new type approval process, which will set you back quite some money. Much cheaper to sell the pickup and purchase a double cab. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

So until now you had your kids in the car without them having on a seatbelt? I guess some people adjust better to the Thai ways and the lack of value for life (of their own kids even!!) than others...

Moron crusader?

I do say that the law for the number of passengers in ANY vehicle on the road is based on the total number of seat belt restraints installed by the auto manufacturer, which is a safety legislated requirement for a road use certificate. All car manufacturer's must comply to essentially sell their vehicles for public use.

Enforcement is incumbent on the applicable authorities, but not always maintained by some locales, as has been the case it seems in Thailand.

Summation: no seat belt = no passenger allowed. Such a simple concept.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

For years police have been trying to enforce the wearing of helmets on motorbikes.

That hasnt worked, neither will this 1.

You sure you don't mean "for years police have been collecting fines for not wearing helmets, that's worked and so will collecting fines for this"

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

For years police have been trying to enforce the wearing of helmets on motorbikes.

The only way that will ever occur is to confiscate the scooters for several days with a hefty fine.

6 minutes ago, nobU eoJ said:

I do say that the law for the number of passengers in ANY vehicle on the road is based on the total number of seat belt restraints installed by the auto manufacturer, which is a safety legislated requirement for a road use certificate. All car manufacturer's must comply to essentially sell their vehicles for public use.

Enforcement is incumbent on the applicable authorities, but not always maintained by some locales, as has been the case it seems in Thailand.

Summation: no seat belt = no passenger allowed. Such a simple concept.

How about stop making stupid laws that are not workable for millions

of people....Such a simple concept....

The poor villagers can't afford another way of transportation, there is a reason why pickups are so popular in Thailand, so they can transport their whole family and everyone else. Not safe of course but TIT.

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

GK, any ideas where we could buy restraints?

When I wrote proper restraints I was thinking of the  original equipment from the manufacturer, OEM type of installation where the vehicle is designed with the restraints in mind. Perhaps, this question should be handed off to the experts in the auto forum.  

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

I don't think they really tried to enforce  the wearing of helmets on motorbikes

9 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

When I wrote proper restraints I was thinking of the  original equipment from the manufacturer, OEM type of installation where the vehicle is designed with the restraints in mind. Perhaps, this question should be handed off to the experts in the auto forum.  

Most likely if the car is put together in Thailand the restraints will come from an outside supplier and won't be made by the car company. Look around and you will find them for sale somewhere. Most likely your car dealer will be able to supply them.

You know little of the way the police operate here  - of course they haven’t been trying to enforce the law. They’d lose half their salary if everyone wore a helmet.

I’ve lost count of the farang guys I know who had a go at me for riding a motorbike with no helmet, or taking my kids on one, but hypocritically drive around in their pickup during Songkran(the most dangerous time on the roads) with their family on the back.

Everytime Thailand tries to push some positive laws, you get posters here trying to bring them down.

Thai bashing Exremists, lol

This is a super move to ban people on the back of pickups, especially when there are many.

1 minute ago, ThaiCitizen said:

I’ve lost count of the farang guys I know who had a go at me for riding a motorbike with no helmet, or taking my kids on one, but hypocritically drive around in their pickup during Songkran(the most dangerous time on the roads) with their family on the back.

Everytime Thailand tries to push some positive laws, you get posters here trying to bring them down.

Thai bashing Exremists, lol

This is a super move to ban people on the back of pickups, especially when there are many.

Dummies out, or forgot your medication?

2 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

if people are stupid enough to sit or stand in the tray of a pickup, let them. At least there is a good chance it will take them out of the gene pool.

There are children involved who have no choice.

That's not true. 20 Years ago, nobody used a helmet. Today, almost everyone. At least in Pattaya, Bangkok....

2 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

if people are stupid enough to sit or stand in the tray of a pickup, let them. At least there is a good chance it will take them out of the gene pool. Just don't complain or try to extract money out of someone when your loved one ends up dead. Same goes for not wearing a helmet.

The laws are there, all that is lacking is enforcement. i don't want a nanny state but i don't want to see the madness on Thai roads every single minute!

You are contradicting yourself bud.

You want your cake and eat it.

Thai people like freedom to do as they wish. Many foreigners do to, so they come here.

As someone mentioned, there are kids involved but a racist like you will say they have the "stupid genes" from their stupid parents so Natural Selection will occur. Very cold and ignorant.

I guess the 15 workers going to the building site for 300 baht a day will take a taxi rather than get a free ride. Otr maybe you think if they can't afford a car, they shouldn't be working. Get a life!

5 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

That's not true. 20 Years ago, nobody used a helmet. Today, almost everyone. At least in Pattaya, Bangkok....

I remember the mass demonstrations in Bangkok in 1992 about the new proposed helmet law. people don't want it, but some here think that these people are stupid and shouldn't have a say.

10 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

That's not true. 20 Years ago, nobody used a helmet.

The traffic has changed also , compare the cars and bikes on the roads 20 years ago with today , it's like night and day .  The speed is also higher on the roads today and as we all know speed kills, with or without helmets. 

Just now, ThaiCitizen said:

Calling other people "dummies" is very grown up. 

Watch that video and actually look at your own pathetic life.

Can you read ? I said dummies out, not calling anyone a dummy.

11 minutes ago, ThaiCitizen said:

I guess the 15 workers going to the building site for 300 baht a day will take a taxi rather than get a free ride. Otr maybe you think if they can't afford a car, they shouldn't be working. Get a life!

That's 15 workers being transported to one of the broke public hospitals when the vehicle they're in is hit by another.

Archived