Thai teenager arrested for killing German tourist in Koh Lak hit-and-run accident

webfact

Thai teenager arrested for killing German tourist in Koh Lak hit-and-run accident
By The Nation

A 17-year-old teenager was arrested on Wednesday for allegedly running over a German tourist in a fatal road accident on Saturday.

The tourist, Peggy Braun, 40, from Chemnitz in Germany, was hit by a pickup truck modified as a songtaew passenger vehicle while she was crossing Phetkasem Road in Moo 5 village in Takua Pa district on Saturday night.

She was crossing the road at a zebra crossing as she walked back to her hotel after shopping at the Bang Niang market when she was hit by the vehicle.

The teenager fled the scene after the accident but police managed to identify him from security camera footage.

The teenager was charged with driving without a licence and driving recklessly causing death. The truck’s registration was also expired and the vehicle did not have third-party insurance.

The woman and her husband checked into at their hotel on March 28 and were initially scheduled to leave the Kingdom on April 26.

The husband told police that he would take his wife’s body back to Germany on Sunday. Police questioned him as a witness and coordinated with the German Embassy to facilitate the trip.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30311378

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-05

The husband told police that he would take his wife’s body back to Germany on Sunday. Police questioned him as a witness and coordinated with the German Embassy to facilitate the trip.

My deepest condolences to the family and friends. A holiday in paradise? 

This all stems from lack of enforcement.

As this kid sees nobody enforce the road laws in any really meaningful way he and family members/ bosses will risk it,as even the penalties are a joke.Its been this way since forever so too many road users don't bother with getting licenses or tabien road which gets at least minimal third party insurance.

If you ask a thai why they drive their motorcycle on the wrong side of the road or the wrong way down a one way street they tell u we have always done it as though that makes it ok. But mostly they do it because they can and no one stops them.

Unfortunately the Thai police are the ones responsible for the staggeringly high road deaths and injuries.What do they do with their time at work? It's seems not much and what ever it is it's ineffective.Ok the public are at fault too but what would happen in the west if no one seriously enforced the road laws over the last 30 + years?  Would we be so much better than Thailand?

Horrible end of an expected dream holiday.

Zebra crossings in Thailand NOT.

They should handout pamphlets at the airport "how to survive Thai traffic".

Look at the circumstances (no licenses, underage, no insurance...) and compare with the current PR fuss about enforcing seat belt and seating rules.

What a joke.

Much more urgent things to do.

1 hour ago, transam said:

The owner of the vehicle, if not the lad, should be dealt with......

Just think about these poor guys. Saving money for a "dream holiday" and then that....and now the husband, of course still in shock, has to find a way to bring his wife's dead body back to Germany.

How should they have known that nobody gives a flying kangaroo at a zebra crossing? 

In another thread, a wake-up call that something has to be done, because of "too many foreign pedestrian deaths" on the same road. 

It sounds like an episode of a horror film, let's hope that the German embassy is doing what they should do.

RIP... very sad, indeed.  

Sadly enforcement will only go towards situations where the police can make a profit... regulations enforced only when a profit can be gained.

'This is what one must accept visiting here."  Just pull a runner to Britain... oh sorry no red bull here available.

Very great if a person like that kills u..Hope the germans have travel insurance because from that guy there will not come any financial compensation.Killed on a zebra crossing is the bloody limit!

i would like to see stop signs hanged up at every zebra crossings in Thailand.

please always look both ways before crossing any road in Thailand ... at any zebra xing or and traffic light crossing ...   ALWAYS LOOK BOTH WAYS.

just look both ways a couple of times to make sure nothing is coming.

RIP dear German Lady.

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

No License, no registration, no insurance and didn't stop after running someone down on a Zebra crossing.

I don't care if he is only 17. They need to throw the book at him.

throw a brick on his head

Many lives could be saved if all zebra crossings were removed, they give people a false sense of security. I once stopped to allow someone to cross and cars were just passing me on both sides, my wife asked me if I was trying to cause an accident. 

18 minutes ago, vogie said:

Many lives could be saved if all zebra crossings were removed, they give people a false sense of security. I once stopped to allow someone to cross and cars were just passing me on both sides, my wife asked me if I was trying to cause an accident. 

Agreed, either stringent enforcement of the law for vehicles to stop at Pedestrian Crossings OR remove them completely. 

I am of the opinion that removing them completely is the better option, as law enforcement here is so lax that no one will pay attention. Additionally, re-educating millions of road users is a bit of an ask and will take generations. 

Safest option: Remove the false sense of security a pedestrian crossing offers. 

Legislation works in the West as people fear disqualification from driving, heavy insurance extra premiums, and high fines.

This works even at a minimum level of enforcement as people realise the consequences when they do get caught and cannot just pay 200 baht to make it go away.

Drivers without license, insurance or road tax or speeders/red light jumpers are being caught by ANPR cameras, stopped then or later, vehicles impounded if no tax or insurance and for tax, can even be crushed. 

Here no one worries even if there are no licence plates on the vehicle, so no matter what legislation you have, without automatic and manual enforcement and high penalties no progress will be made.

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Very great if a person like that kills u..Hope the germans have travel insurance because from that guy there will not come any financial compensation.Killed on a zebra crossing is the bloody limit!

i would like to see stop signs hanged up at every zebra crossings in Thailand.

You seem to be dreaming.....( sarcasm) Please take the time and watch people speeding in front of schools. 

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just read a newsletter in German language that says the woman was heavy injured, not dead.

Hope this is the truth?

That would be great. Unfortunately, do all other news report that her husband will take her dead body home on Sunday. 

57 minutes ago, Deez said:

Time to get rid of all "Zebra Crossings"  They mean nothing to Thais.

Replace them with pedestrian activated traffic lights - but most drivers will not even stop for a red light.

How about something like this, activated when the red light shows...

tyre-killer-250x250.jpg.cbb54c48e68ecfb8b920ee6203556835.jpg

1 hour ago, Oleg57 said:

Any Zebra crossing in Thailand is a deadly trap for naive Europeans.

Your post sounds very naive, to be honest. Why only Europeans? Don't you think Americans, Australians, and others take the same risk? 

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Legislation works in the West as people fear disqualification from driving, heavy insurance extra premiums, and high fines.

This works even at a minimum level of enforcement as people realise the consequences when they do get caught and cannot just pay 200 baht to make it go away.

Drivers without license, insurance or road tax or speeders/red light jumpers are being caught by ANPR cameras, stopped then or later, vehicles impounded if no tax or insurance and for tax, can even be crushed. 

Here no one worries even if there are no licence plates on the vehicle, so no matter what legislation you have, without automatic and manual enforcement and high penalties no progress will be made.

I agree totally with you, but as many have stated on this forum before they dont like the nanny state, and they want more freedom / choice to do as they like

That kind of thinking has some merit in certain situations, but it has none where road usage is concerned

What is missed by these people is that this so called freedom is extended to everybody

Many of these people dont know when to call an end to their freedom of choice

Hence the horrendous accident statistics, it appears to be just a matter of time before this freedom comes home to roost 

This event is a perfect example of give them enough rope and they will hang themselves

Hopefully the lady in question is not actually dead, one can only hope

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just read a newsletter in German language that says the woman was heavy injured, not dead.

Hope this is the truth?

I've just read in "Der Farang", ( a magazine in German) that the woman was heavily injured and the husband will take her to Germany. Nothing about a dead body....

http://der-farang.com/de/pages/17-jaehriger-faehrt-auf-zebrastreifen-deutsche-touristin-an

Let's hope that's the truth.

So sad. The tourist probably assumed that she was safe in a zebra crossing. My number one anger in Thailand... Poor Thai driving: No manners... No driving skills.. Never drive defensively... No idea if how dangerous they are on the road. Clueless. Sad for the German family.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Archived