BANGKOK 17 February 2019 10:40

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Thai teenager arrested for killing German tourist in Koh Lak hit-and-run accident

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

No License, no registration, no insurance and didn't stop after running someone down on a Zebra crossing.

I don't care if he is only 17. They need to throw the book at him.

throw a brick on his head

Many lives could be saved if all zebra crossings were removed, they give people a false sense of security. I once stopped to allow someone to cross and cars were just passing me on both sides, my wife asked me if I was trying to cause an accident. 

18 minutes ago, vogie said:

Many lives could be saved if all zebra crossings were removed, they give people a false sense of security. I once stopped to allow someone to cross and cars were just passing me on both sides, my wife asked me if I was trying to cause an accident. 

Agreed, either stringent enforcement of the law for vehicles to stop at Pedestrian Crossings OR remove them completely. 

I am of the opinion that removing them completely is the better option, as law enforcement here is so lax that no one will pay attention. Additionally, re-educating millions of road users is a bit of an ask and will take generations. 

Safest option: Remove the false sense of security a pedestrian crossing offers. 

Just read a newsletter in German language that says the woman was heavy injured, not dead.

Hope this is the truth?

Time to get rid of all "Zebra Crossings"  They mean nothing to Thais.

Legislation works in the West as people fear disqualification from driving, heavy insurance extra premiums, and high fines.

This works even at a minimum level of enforcement as people realise the consequences when they do get caught and cannot just pay 200 baht to make it go away.

Drivers without license, insurance or road tax or speeders/red light jumpers are being caught by ANPR cameras, stopped then or later, vehicles impounded if no tax or insurance and for tax, can even be crushed. 

Here no one worries even if there are no licence plates on the vehicle, so no matter what legislation you have, without automatic and manual enforcement and high penalties no progress will be made.

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Very great if a person like that kills u..Hope the germans have travel insurance because from that guy there will not come any financial compensation.Killed on a zebra crossing is the bloody limit!

i would like to see stop signs hanged up at every zebra crossings in Thailand.

You seem to be dreaming.....( sarcasm) Please take the time and watch people speeding in front of schools. 

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just read a newsletter in German language that says the woman was heavy injured, not dead.

Hope this is the truth?

That would be great. Unfortunately, do all other news report that her husband will take her dead body home on Sunday. 

18 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

You seem to be dreaming.....( sarcasm) Please take the time and watch people speeding in front of schools. 

Near school need signs too and speed bump hills and 40 km zones sign etc etc.

57 minutes ago, Deez said:

Time to get rid of all "Zebra Crossings"  They mean nothing to Thais.

Replace them with pedestrian activated traffic lights - but most drivers will not even stop for a red light.

How about something like this, activated when the red light shows...

tyre-killer-250x250.jpg.cbb54c48e68ecfb8b920ee6203556835.jpg

1 hour ago, Oleg57 said:

Any Zebra crossing in Thailand is a deadly trap for naive Europeans.

Your post sounds very naive, to be honest. Why only Europeans? Don't you think Americans, Australians, and others take the same risk? 

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Legislation works in the West as people fear disqualification from driving, heavy insurance extra premiums, and high fines.

This works even at a minimum level of enforcement as people realise the consequences when they do get caught and cannot just pay 200 baht to make it go away.

Drivers without license, insurance or road tax or speeders/red light jumpers are being caught by ANPR cameras, stopped then or later, vehicles impounded if no tax or insurance and for tax, can even be crushed. 

Here no one worries even if there are no licence plates on the vehicle, so no matter what legislation you have, without automatic and manual enforcement and high penalties no progress will be made.

I agree totally with you, but as many have stated on this forum before they dont like the nanny state, and they want more freedom / choice to do as they like

That kind of thinking has some merit in certain situations, but it has none where road usage is concerned

What is missed by these people is that this so called freedom is extended to everybody

Many of these people dont know when to call an end to their freedom of choice

Hence the horrendous accident statistics, it appears to be just a matter of time before this freedom comes home to roost 

This event is a perfect example of give them enough rope and they will hang themselves

Hopefully the lady in question is not actually dead, one can only hope

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Hope this is the truth?

I've just read in "Der Farang", ( a magazine in German) that the woman was heavily injured and the husband will take her to Germany. Nothing about a dead body....

http://der-farang.com/de/pages/17-jaehriger-faehrt-auf-zebrastreifen-deutsche-touristin-an

Let's hope that's the truth.

So sad. The tourist probably assumed that she was safe in a zebra crossing. My number one anger in Thailand... Poor Thai driving: No manners... No driving skills.. Never drive defensively... No idea if how dangerous they are on the road. Clueless. Sad for the German family.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk