Jump to content
BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
jamie2009

Proof of Income Documents.

Recommended Posts

I am now 65 so can use my U.K State Pension along with my Private Pension as part of 800000 baht for my 'Retirement Visa'

1) My State Pension letter explains more or less that I will be receiving my Pension till I die, my Private Pension explains how much I receive every year ?

Do I have to send to the British Embassy, around £50 a time every year when to verified when my Retirement Visa is due ?

2) is there a minimum amount of Income that can be used or do just you make the difference in cash to the 800000 baht ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The monthly income requirement is 65k baht (780k baht annual).

The only way to prove income is by getting a income letter from the UK embassy by mail. You will need to get a new one every year.

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

If you cannot meet the 65k baht monthly income you can combine your annual gross income with money in a Thai band to reach a total of 800k baht.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The monthly income requirement is 65k baht (780k baht annual).

The only way to prove income is by getting a income letter from the UK embassy by mail. You will need to get a new one every year.

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

If you cannot meet the 65k baht monthly income you can combine your annual gross income with money in a Thai band to reach a total of 800k baht.

Thanks Joe but do I need a proof of Income letter every year, my income won't change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

Thanks Joe but do I need a proof of Income letter every year, my income won't change.

Yes you need a need new income letter every year. Immigration will only accept one that has been done within 6 months before the date you apply for the extension.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly when I went to immigration in February I had a two week old income verification affidavit from the US Embassy. When presented to the officer it was refused. "New Rule", he said, "Must be legalized."

So I had to take the affidavit to Chaeng Wattana and kill a whole day (plus 400 baht) just to get the affidavit "legalized", which was just a rubber stamp on the back (and a huge pain in MY back!)

Went back to the local immigration office the next day and I was gold. But before I left I asked if a bank letter needed to be legalized in the same manner. Nope!

So I intend to build my bank balance up to the 800,000 baht requirement before next year.

In any case, I'd done the Embassy income affidavit thing previously with no problem. Has anybody else encountered the "legalization" thing, or did I just draw the short straw that day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sturdyd said:

Interestingly when I went to immigration in February I had a two week old income verification affidavit from the US Embassy. When presented to the officer it was refused. "New Rule", he said, "Must be legalized."

So I had to take the affidavit to Chaeng Wattana and kill a whole day (plus 400 baht) just to get the affidavit "legalized", which was just a rubber stamp on the back (and a huge pain in MY back!)

Went back to the local immigration office the next day and I was gold. But before I left I asked if a bank letter needed to be legalized in the same manner. Nope!

So I intend to build my bank balance up to the 800,000 baht requirement before next year.

In any case, I'd done the Embassy income affidavit thing previously with no problem. Has anybody else encountered the "legalization" thing, or did I just draw the short straw that day?

 

which immigration office required the 'legalization'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sturdyd said:

Interestingly when I went to immigration in February I had a two week old income verification affidavit from the US Embassy. When presented to the officer it was refused. "New Rule", he said, "Must be legalized."

It is not a nationwide rule. Just a very few offices have been reported as wanting the signature on the income doucment verified by the department of consular affairs. 

The only recent report was for  the Nonthaburi office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of questions on the back of this thread.

 

How many months of statements are required when applying for the affidavit letter at the UK embassy? I seem to remember it was three months worth but I can't find confirmation of it.

 

Can these bank statements be provided as internet printouts? And is it sufficient to show UK income only without the need for other information? (My UK bank that receives the income isn't the same one I usually use for ATM withdrawals etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Couple of questions on the back of this thread.

 

How many months of statements are required when applying for the affidavit letter at the UK embassy? I seem to remember it was three months worth but I can't find confirmation of it.

 

Can these bank statements be provided as internet printouts? And is it sufficient to show UK income only without the need for other information? (My UK bank that receives the income isn't the same one I usually use for ATM withdrawals etc)

As long as the bank statements, in some way, demonstrate regular income, it would not matter which account they were associated with. More normal would be to use tax returns, records of pension payments or some other direct evidence of income. I am not sure there is a specific period this proof of income must be for. That depends on the embassy's judgment of what is necessary to show what you would receive over the course of a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Couple of questions on the back of this thread.

 

How many months of statements are required when applying for the affidavit letter at the UK embassy? I seem to remember it was three months worth but I can't find confirmation of it.

 

Can these bank statements be provided as internet printouts? And is it sufficient to show UK income only without the need for other information? (My UK bank that receives the income isn't the same one I usually use for ATM withdrawals etc)

You can use the annual statement letters from the DWP and your private Pension provider, but if you don't have these, then online printed bank statements are acceptable.

Whilst they don't define how many statements are required, 3 are the norm and enough to prove a regular monthly income, as payments from the DWP and another Pension provider should be detailed on your bank statement.

 

You complete the form doing the maths yourself shown in £'s.

The letter will state your annual income in £'s.

Immigration will do the conversion to baht using the Bangkok bank TT rate on the day of application.

Edited by Tanoshi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Couple of questions on the back of this thread.

 

How many months of statements are required when applying for the affidavit letter at the UK embassy? I seem to remember it was three months worth but I can't find confirmation of it.

 

Can these bank statements be provided as internet printouts? And is it sufficient to show UK income only without the need for other information? (My UK bank that receives the income isn't the same one I usually use for ATM withdrawals etc)

Better to use pension provider letters/notifications (which show gross figures) if available rather than bank statements (which usually show net figures after the jolly old taxman at HMRC has taken his share) - particularly if the 20% difference (assuming that you're taxed at the standard rate) is likely to make all the difference in your ability to meet the 65,000 THB monthly income requirement without recourse to the "combo" method.

 

EDIT: The difference will, of course, be less than 20% in practice in view of the personal tax-free allowance.

Edited by OJAS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks - I have no pension yet (on the Non 0/A for over 50s). The income in question is simply a transfer into my account every month in lieu of rent payments. Other than a reference next to it saying "rent" I can't really provide anything other than the bank statements. However I was under the impression a lot of people base their extensions on this type of income?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Thanks - I have no pension yet (on the Non 0/A for over 50s). The income in question is simply a transfer into my account every month in lieu of rent payments. Other than a reference next to it saying "rent" I can't really provide anything other than the bank statements. However I was under the impression a lot of people base their extensions on this type of income?

No problem with that income. Just show 3 months of it being transferred into your account.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...