Foreign tourist among dead as van hits "song thaew" on Koh Lanta

webfact

Foreign tourist among dead as van hits "song thaew" on Koh Lanta

2pm.jpg

Picture: Video screenshot

KRABI: -- A foreign tourist and a Thai driver are dead after a van travelling from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta hit a song thaew.

The accident happened on the Huay Nam Khao - Koh Klang Road. Initial reports said that seven people were injured - three in the van and four on the other vehicle.

All the injured were ferried to Klong Thom hospital. But two have since been reported dead.

They were the driver of the van - Sarawuth Suphap - and an unidentified foreign woman.

Witnesses said that the two vehicles collided after the van experienced a burst front right tire.

The van was taking the tourists from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta.

Source: CH 3

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-06

re  ;bald tyres,, on my daily travels, it has amazed me how many scooters and 4 wheeled vehicles i have seen with hardly any tread on the tyres at all. so a bit of rain, and "bang", not saying this is the case for one moment , for the sorry accident. just my observation of general vehicle condition.

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

re  ;bald tyres,, on my daily travels, it has amazed me how many scooters and 4 wheeled vehicles i have seen with hardly any tread on the tyres at all. so a bit of rain, and "bang", not saying this is the case for one moment , for the sorry accident. just my observation of general vehicle condition.

Just pretend you are a rozzer, then you wont even have to be bothered with being amazed 

On 4/6/2017 at 0:48 PM, daveAustin said:

Witnesses said that the two vehicles collided after the van experienced a burst front right tire.

Bald and over-inflated?

What a way to end your holiday.

I've seen a few tourists like that........... :shock1:

RIP for the two dead. 

1 hour ago, just.a.thought said:

Makes you wonder how many lives are being lost every year due to lack of enforcement of the traffic rules and regulations?

I would say 90% of the total each year.

I would prefer to rent my own car in Krabi instead of driving in the minivan death traps.  

Being  a defensive driver I would probably survive or at least my odds would be a lot better.  R.I.P

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/04/2017 at 8:49 PM, Rhys said:

...is this appropriate?

Not in Western countries, but dead foreigner's passport photos and details are habitually released in the press here. Your question would be seen as correct in a Western context but overly fussy or mystifying in a Thai context. The only exception I could think of would be a Westerner with status in Thais' eyes such as a diplomat or an important investor. Then it would definitely be inappropriate.

I hope this answers your question.

9 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Not in Western countries, but dead foreigner's passport photos and details are habitually released in the press here. Your question would be seen as correct in a Western context but overly fussy or mystifying in a Thai context. The only exception I could think of would be a Westerner with status in Thais' eyes such as a diplomat or an important investor. Then it would definitely be inappropriate.

I hope this answers your question.

It answered the question, but does not help to excuse the gross ignorance

• 1 month later...
On 2017-4-6 at 0:48 PM, daveAustin said:

Witnesses said that the two vehicles collided after the van experienced a burst front right tire.

Bald and over-inflated?

What a way to end your holiday.

Having survived a half day tour in a 'death van' ,  I'm still shaking.   Ten of us in the van, while the driver rushed to various tourist sites in Phuket.

In the first 20 minutes, the driver accumulated more than $3000 in fines, had he been in Australia. Tailgating, changing lanes and not indicating, in the wrong lane at the traffic lights, jumping into gaps between traffic.

Eventually, he attempted to pass a slow-moving truck on a blind mountain  corner, clearly marked with a solid road marking;  Another Aussie sitting behind me let fly at the driver and told him to slow down and stop trying to kill us all.

He got a well-deserved bollocking, and slowed down somewhat on the return trip.

He obviously graduated with first class honours at a kamikaze school.

Never again!!!

Archived