BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Khon Kaen Dave

A heart warming tail

Andrew Dwyer

Hi Andy.

If you are a doggy lover, then that's what you are. Dogs come in all shapes and sizes. You can love a small one as much as a big one.

Back in my previous life, i had two Rott's.Big and handsome, they were called Radar and bullet. I had them for some 12 years, until they died.I always thought of myself as a big dog person, but years later i fell in love with a Lhasa Apso, called Molly.She was beautiful and such a personality.Once again, i had her till she died at 13.I cant imagine my life without a dog.It was a million to one shot that i found Lucky again. I treasure her because icant imagine what her life for ten months of living on the street was like.Doggy faces do melt your heart, and you, like me are a born sucker for them.I am so sorry that it led to your marriage breaking up over lies. But a dog will love you forever, Its called unconditional love, even if you was to give it a slap  he/she would still love you. Sometimes, mate, i think i would rather be around dogs than some of the people i have met here.They can say what they like about me, but don't insult my dog. She loves me without the conditions imposed by humans.

I hope you are in a position to be able to have a dog soon.

She/he will listen to you without criticism, show happiness at every decision you make and will sometimes be the only friend you have` Even when you are pissed drunk and feeling very sorry for your self, she /he will not condemn you for it. And you are right, you get back, what you give dog a hundred time over.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out for you.

KKD

Dave

There were many other reasons for my marriage breaking up, the lying about the dog was just one of a long list !!

As the dogs pretty much belonged to my wife ( even though they gave me all the attention, which I loved), I let her pick the names.
So there was : Luanna, Luiza, Laura and Lara ( it's a Brazilian thing ! ).
Lara died and the ex magically found another stray and wanted to call it Luan , well I wasn't having any of it so called it Bobby just out of spite !
When Lara died in my arms it was one of the worst moments ( as I'm sure you know ) and something I'll never forget , she had a problem with her heart rate and struggled to breathe.
Laura died a while later but she was old and had a history of medical problems so the end for her was almost a release.

I think I will get a pup next time then hopefully she will outlive me and I won't have to go through the pain of burying another in the garden ( albeit a different garden )

Now that's a story and I ain't soppy ok well I am a bit but that story just killed me. Never give up - my Mrs is gonna hear this story and my son love it.A Lot. Fair play.

might be a bit late to reply KKD its a story thats very simuler and yes i still feel it was yesterday.

if you read my posts in the pet section you will know me and mrs meat are simular to you and your wife,so you know what we have been through with our beloved [on the money go round] the past 2yrs.and still are.

as your avatar name is KKD do you live anywhere near,why i ask is our boy is now being treated at KK UNI. so if your near take your long lost loved one to the uni.to be checked out.ours goes back on wednesday.after 2yrs.they are the only ones that know what they are treating [hepatoozon and e-canis] all the rest where just guessing and keeping the gravy train running.

and yes ours comes to bed with me 6pm.every night and waits till 6am.morning to get up with the wife.

so KKD my moto is KEEP THEM SAFE.

love me love my dog. MEATBOY.

Just a catch up.To all those who have been reading my posts re Lucky.

First thing yesterday morning i took Lucky down to the vet in a town not too far from us. I didnt want to wait till today. Its quite a serious practice and i was very impressed by the cleanliness of the surgery.It was a man vet and when he got Lucky on the table he said how heavy she was, which was a good sign.He checked for any remaining tics and could find only a few baby ones that were dead already. We told her about the guy who injected her for the Tics and he said that it was common to have these people in villages and that the serum they use is normally bought from an animal clinic.He was happy to see, that the serum was working.

He checked Lucky's heart rate, gums,eyes, and the piss that we took from the night before.We also took (and i know it sounds horrible) some of her feces in a plastic bag.He said that if she was dehydrated, she wasn't now. Also the poop showed no signs of of worms or anything that shouldn't be there. He took a blood sample and told us to sit down outside.He called us back in and said that he would send the Blood sample away and the results would be back in 3/4 days.

I asked about Luck'y's languid and quietness, because i have only heard her bark once.He said that i had to remember, that she had been a temple dog for 10 months, and her life had changed.She probably sat in the Temple all day and got used to not moving around too much.He said that by looking at her genitalia and nipples she had already given birth to 2/3 sets of puppies.

I had already told him that she was eating ok, and he asked me if i noticed her stopping, during eating and looking around. I said that i did. He said that it was a built in reaction now, due to her having to guard her food from other temple/soi dogs.But he said she would get out of that when she understood that her new home was safe. He also said that she may never forget the temple, but over time it would become a far distant memory.Also he said that having another rescue dog in the house was a good thing, as, Highway might show some  jealousy, he would never fight with her, because she was a bitch( i could have been humorous and said that i don't fight with my wife because she is a bitch)

Any way 1500 baht later, we were on our way home. We now await news of the blood test.

Thank you  Andy, jack2002003, niKma,cooked,Alias John,Worgeordie, meatboy bergen, Rc2702, for your advice and input.

Dog Lovers Rock!

Hi Dave,

interesting point you mentioned in your last post that  the dogs never forget their life in the temple. Just to remind you our Lucky came from a Temple as well. We have had her I guess almost 3 years. On the 8th of February this year we had our house blessing and Lucky was out the front watching all the people come in. A mini van pulled up and 9 monks exited and came into the house. Well Lucky just froze and started shaking just like she does when she visits the vet. She was petrified of the monks. She would not leave my side then finally hide under the car till the Monks left. I guess seeing the monks reminded her of her terrible life in the Temple. I am not suggesting that the monks mistreated her it was the fighting for her food all the time, getting attacked by other dogs and so on. She also, in the early days would keep on looking around her while she was eating plus also bury her food. Not any more...Now she lives the life of Riley.

Incidentally the photo I posted earlier is of our Lucky.

Its a Dogs life  :smile:....Cheers

7 minutes ago, AliasJohn said:

Hi Dave,

interesting point you mentioned in your last post that  the dogs never forget their life in the temple. Just to remind you our Lucky came from a Temple as well. We have had her I guess almost 3 years. On the 8th of February this year we had our house blessing and Lucky was out the front watching all the people come in. A mini van pulled up and 9 monks exited and came into the house. Well Lucky just froze and started shaking just like she does when she visits the vet. She was petrified of the monks. She would not leave my side then finally hide under the car till the Monks left. I guess seeing the monks reminded her of her terrible life in the Temple. I am not suggesting that the monks mistreated her it was the fighting for her food all the time, getting attacked by other dogs and so on. She also, in the early days would keep on looking around her while she was eating plus also bury her food. Not any more...Now she lives the life of Riley.

Hi John, Lucky originally came from our home where she was loved and cared for. Her life at the Temple must have been one of complete confusion.Maybe, getting hit by the occasional stick, and having to protect her food. Your reaction of your dog to the monks, is understandable.What about the Elephants that have been known to kill their Mahouts,that have treated them badly in he past.

Your dog showed characteristics of remembering how she was treated by them.Dogs don't lie, they may not have a voice but they can show their hatred and contempt by their body language.I would rather trust a dogs silent advice than that of some humans i have met.

24 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Hi John, Lucky originally came from our home where she was loved and cared for. Her life at the Temple must have been one of complete confusion.Maybe, getting hit by the occasional stick, and having to protect her food. Your reaction of your dog to the monks, is understandable.What about the Elephants that have been known to kill their Mahouts,that have treated them badly in he past.

Your dog showed characteristics of remembering how she was treated by them.Dogs don't lie, they may not have a voice but they can show their hatred and contempt by their body language.I would rather trust a dogs silent advice than that of some humans i have met.

39 minutes ago, AliasJohn said:

Hi Dave,

John

I just read your post again. Much respect for getting your dog away from the horror's of temple life. I am glad that he has stopped looking around when eating, Highway did this and,of course, Lucky still does. My heart goes out to her, when i see her do this. I only wish i could explain to her that no one is going to steal or fight her for her food.

You Lucky looks very handsome, by the way. Very clean and alert.

I much prefer to help a mistreated dog back to sanity and all that goes with it, rather than have bought a 'farmed' dog from a pet shop. There is so much pleasure in watching the results of your work, bringing them back to normality and them finding out that they can love and trust a human again.

Don't worry Dave. Lucky will stop looking around whilst eating. It took our Lucky almost 2 years to relax as she eats. 

OK this is a good thread a united thread indeed where Dogs are concerned.

So my Mrs FIL have two fantastic dogs that are treated pretty well although not always.  Had a busy month the last month so not been there much. Just 1 visit last week. I always grab food for the dogs and whilst everyone focuses on food we bring for the family I get a bit agitated as the dogs are clearly hungry and it's just a joke for everyone and they make them wait. I don't want to eat and have a dog stare at me with puppy eyes. I normally just grab some food like chicken and excuse myself and I give it the dogs on the sly. Last week when I saw them after a month I was a bit shocked they looked a bit gaunt so this week I rode up there twice knowing they are at the farm so I whiz straight past the house straight to the farm and I feed them alone at the farm.

The problem is we collect food for them and then my Mrs stingy village life mother picks and chooses what to feed them and maybe eats the rest. She's a real funny one her Mom but I just work around her in pretty much everything so my work around in regards to the dogs is 2 days a week I ride 30km upto there place I go straight to the farm I buy 60 bahts worth of chicken and bone I grab some left over JOK grab a load of rice and I quickly lay it out for them and storm off back to the city. If I hang around they will follow me so best to get out sharpish. This is the 2 dogs eating a pile each. I enjoy the trip to be honest and I know they enjoy the food so all good.

1491642565963.jpg

19 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Just a catch up.To all those who have been reading my posts re Lucky.

First thing yesterday morning i took Lucky down to the vet in a town not too far from us. I didnt want to wait till today. Its quite a serious practice and i was very impressed by the cleanliness of the surgery.It was a man vet and when he got Lucky on the table he said how heavy she was, which was a good sign.He checked for any remaining tics and could find only a few baby ones that were dead already. We told her about the guy who injected her for the Tics and he said that it was common to have these people in villages and that the serum they use is normally bought from an animal clinic.He was happy to see, that the serum was working.

He checked Lucky's heart rate, gums,eyes, and the piss that we took from the night before.We also took (and i know it sounds horrible) some of her feces in a plastic bag.He said that if she was dehydrated, she wasn't now. Also the poop showed no signs of of worms or anything that shouldn't be there. He took a blood sample and told us to sit down outside.He called us back in and said that he would send the Blood sample away and the results would be back in 3/4 days.

I asked about Luck'y's languid and quietness, because i have only heard her bark once.He said that i had to remember, that she had been a temple dog for 10 months, and her life had changed.She probably sat in the Temple all day and got used to not moving around too much.He said that by looking at her genitalia and nipples she had already given birth to 2/3 sets of puppies.

I had already told him that she was eating ok, and he asked me if i noticed her stopping, during eating and looking around. I said that i did. He said that it was a built in reaction now, due to her having to guard her food from other temple/soi dogs.But he said she would get out of that when she understood that her new home was safe. He also said that she may never forget the temple, but over time it would become a far distant memory.Also he said that having another rescue dog in the house was a good thing, as, Highway might show some  jealousy, he would never fight with her, because she was a bitch( i could have been humorous and said that i don't fight with my wife because she is a bitch)

Any way 1500 baht later, we were on our way home. We now await news of the blood test.

Thank you  Andy, jack2002003, niKma,cooked,Alias John,Worgeordie, meatboy bergen, Rc2702, for your advice and input.

Dog Lovers Rock!

KKD you do need lucky to have a SNAP TEST.a blood test will not find parasites that are present,only by his CBC COUNTS can they determin if there are parasites within the blood.then the vet must know what kind they are.

after over 2yrs.we have just found out that ours has the HEPATOOZON CANIS present and the only cure is [IMIZOL]injections.

one on detecting and another [MUST] 2weeks later.

2 hours ago, meatboy said:

KKD you do need lucky to have a SNAP TEST.a blood test will not find parasites that are present,only by his CBC COUNTS can they determin if there are parasites within the blood.then the vet must know what kind they are.

after over 2yrs.we have just found out that ours has the HEPATOOZON CANIS present and the only cure is [IMIZOL]injections.

one on detecting and another [MUST] 2weeks later.

Thanx meat, i will call the vet on monday and get mrs Kaen to speak to her,as my isaan Thai only goes so far.

Thanx again.

Hi Dave...I thought you would  appreciate this photo. 

Cheers

Capture.PNG

16 minutes ago, AliasJohn said:

Hi Dave...I thought you would  appreciate this photo. 

Cheers

Capture.PNG

Ha, typical snap of a dog that has it all. He's looking at the camera as if to say 'and?'.Great pic. Love it