Pattaya woman demands 5,000 baht before she will return iPhone she found in 7/11 saying she's within her rights

webfact

Pattaya woman demands 5,000 baht before she will return iPhone she found in 7/11 saying she's within her rights

1pm.jpg

Picture: video screenshot

PATTAYA: -- A Pattaya woman who found an iPhone on the counter in 7/11 would not return it to the owner unless she paid her 5,000 baht for "looking after it".

The owner offered her 1,000 baht but this was not enough to satisfy her. So the police were contacted.

The finder of the phone said they must all go to Pattaya police station, where she said she had a friend, to sort it all out.

Earlier Neungrithai, who is three months pregnant, had called police to say that a woman called Saifon Moonchan, 45, had called her sister to say that she had found her phone and wanted 5,000 baht.

Police went to a bar in Soi New Plaza in the Soi Bua Khao area where Saifon said she was well within her rights to demand 5,000 baht.

Was the phone - an iPhone 7 Plus - not worth 30,000? Only five thousand is a bargain, she claimed.

The story appeared on Facebook though it was not immediately known exactly how the matter was resolved.

Source: RD NEWS CH 3

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-07

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report the "finder" to the police for steeling the Iphone as it was not hers to take from the 7-11 store in the first place! They should also add extortion or what ever it should be as she refuse to give it back even when offered a 1000 Baht "finders fee" and maybe they should add fencing too as she is basically trying to sell stolen goods!

Amazing Thailand, i took your i-phone of the counter at a 7/11, so you must pay me 5000 baht or i will not return it.

She took it out of a shop, so she stole it.

Police should charge her with stealing, because that is what she did, she stole it.

What is amazing about this story is the indignant nature of this stupid woman... 

... failing to recognise she is in the wrong for what is tantamount to steeling and extortion. 

... 1 guess what she (he?) does for a living !

Simplest solution here for the BiB - Arrest her for theft. 

15 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

Report the "finder" to the police for steeling the Iphone as it was not hers to take from the 7-11 store in the first place! They should also add extortion or what ever it should be as she refuse to give it back even when offered a 1000 Baht "finders fee" and maybe they should add fencing too as she is basically trying to sell stolen goods!

I agree 100%, but two months ago I "lost" my mobile and, if someone had offered to pay 5000 Baht, I think I would have done it.

Well, personally I would get a huge kick out of returning someone's property to them especially if it was valuable. The smile on their face would be all the reward I would need. 

10 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

I agree 100%, but two months ago I "lost" my mobile and, if someone had offered to pay 5000 Baht, I think I would have done it.

Any decent human being wouldn't request 5000 baht to return someones phone in the first place.... its your property and should be returned. Anything else can be considered theft. 

42 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Amazing Thailand, i took your i-phone of the counter at a 7/11, so you must pay me 5000 baht or i will not return it.

She took it out of a shop, so she stole it.

Police should charge her with stealing, because that is what she did, she stole it.

So let me get this straight, she stole it right? ?

8 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

1) Tell her you agree to pay 5,000 baht

2) Ask the police to wait at your place

3) The girl arrives, expects money

4) ?????

5) The police agrees to arrest her if you pay them 2,000 baht

Not a bad plan except for meeting at your place. You do not want her to know where you live I would think

14 minutes ago, MadMuhummad said:

So let me get this straight, she stole it right? ?

Yes it's theft, at the very least she should have handed it over to the 7-11 staff as it was found on their premises. If she found it out on the road then she would have a case to ask for a small reward.

Thank god she's not my gf. ??

I had nearly the same situation a couple of years ago, I found a nice phone on the ground near a motorbike shortcut, so got the missus to trace the owner and she came round my house to collect it, but I'll never forget her comment, "if a Thai person had found it I wouldn't of got it back" absolutely true, that did surprise me at the time. Not now so much.

What I would rather do is, pay the police THB5,000 and ask them to arrest this blob for theft (taking what's not hers) and extortion.

Apart from teaching her a lesson, the message is also to say that "I have THB5,000 to throw away, but just not at you <deleted>".

16 minutes ago, sabian said:

I had nearly the same situation a couple of years ago, I found a nice phone on the ground near a motorbike shortcut, so got the missus to trace the owner and she came round my house to collect it, but I'll never forget her comment, "if a Thai person had found it I wouldn't of got it back" absolutely true, that did surprise me at the time. Not now so much.

Not always.

My wallet fell out of my pocket one night while getting out of the car to open the gate.  Didn't realize it until late next morning.  Checked my iBanking and credit cards, no activity.

One of my wife's friends called and brought our attention to a post on a Thai Facebook page with a photo of my US driver's license!  Turned out to be the Headman in a small village about 10 minutes away.  Went out there, said a local resident found my wallet and turned it in.  Everything still there, including 800 some odd Baht in cash.   Tried to give the Headman a "thanks" presento, he was having none of it.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

In any normal society she would return the phone and be satisfied she did the "right" thing. Any reward offered by the owner would be a bonus .
But, it would appear we are not in a normal society ☹️

No, it was Pattaya. Right!!!

Archived