Pattaya woman demands 5,000 baht before she will return iPhone she found in 7/11 saying she's within her rights

webfact

30 minutes ago, AloisAmrein said:

If someone finds a thing in Switzerland, the finder can ask for 15% of the value of the found object, not more. But most people ask not for it. But the finder cannot keep the found object, he has to deposit it in a police station or lost and found station.

I've heard that in some places, the finder can ask for reimbursement for any expenses they went through to return the item (if they had to travel or mail, etc.), and this seems fair.  But I admit I'm still not sure why it is considered mandatory to pay someone to do the right thing.  In many cases, that could be as simple as "hand it to someone in charge at a nearby local business" (I know, in some places this doesn't guarantee it goes to someone honest*).  Or, if they really don't want to expend any effort, just leave it where it is.

*was reading reviews recently of a restaurant in Laos where someone complained that they realized just after leaving that their phone had fallen from their pocket.  They immediately went back, and staff had already found it... and were demanding to be paid to return it.  The manager of the place replied to the complaint rather nastily, couldn't believe the person was angry about this.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/07/2017 at 5:16 AM, smedly said:

who has a pocket big enough to carry a laptop around with them, although a smart(phone) does include the name "phone" it goes way beyond being just a phone and is very capable of doing pretty much everything a laptop does and it fits right in your pocket 

You can carry a laptop in a small backpack, and a laptop is a hell of a lot more value for money than a £800 smart phone with a 5.5 inch screen.

Even though smartphones are good their small screens are hard to see, and I refuse to add to Apples outrageous profits by paying £800 for a phone! My S3 still does the job, and the only reason I would upgrade would be to have a better camera.

2 hours ago, MRDave said:

You can carry a laptop in a small backpack, and a laptop is a hell of a lot more value for money than a £800 smart phone with a 5.5 inch screen.

Even though smartphones are good their small screens are hard to see, and I refuse to add to Apples outrageous profits by paying £800 for a phone! My S3 still does the job, and the only reason I would upgrade would be to have a better camera.

your S3 is a smartphone, takes me about 10secs to connect my Smartphone to my TV screen, I can also connect a mouse and keyboard, it has a 23mp camera which can take extremely good pics and video, it has a vast range of my music and other media, has 128gb of storage and cost just over 400quid, has GPS, WIFI, MS Office, email client and can go in my pocket and go anywhere and it also makes phone calls lol

I do agree that Apple stuff is massively overpriced and too brand specific - If I was offered one for free I would sell it and buy a Sony or Samsung for half the price

Archived