Pattaya woman demands 5,000 baht before she will return iPhone she found in 7/11 saying she's within her rights

webfact

4 hours ago, Chug said:

when a person fails to return property owned by another person, it is theft no matter what distorted thinking they have conjured up in their tiny mind.

Yes, it is OFFENCE OF MISAPPROPRIATION under the Thai Criminal Code:

Section 352 Whoever,  being  in possession  of  a property belonging  to the  other  person,  or of  which  the other person is a co-owner, dishonestly convert s such property to himself or a third person,is said to commit misappropriation, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding three years or fined not exceeding six thousand Baht, or both. If such  property  comes under  the possession  of  the offender on account  of being delivered to  him  by  the  other  person  by  mistake  by  any  means  whatever,  or  being  a  lost  property found by him, the offender shall be liable to one-half of the punishment.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I am sure if it had been a St. Ferang who found it they would of spent days tracking the owner down and paid her to take it back cos they are all sooooooo honest :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well one day I found a wallet on the street, took it back to my house, did some searching and it took me about an hour to find the owner’s phone number.  I gave him a call and he came over to pick it up, offered me a reward, I declined.  Believe it or not there are still some honest people on this planet and I can claim that I am one of them because that’s the way I was raised.

5 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Shame they did not name the bar she works in, it would be useful to boycott the place if they employ dubious characters like this.

This not the land of names this is not the land of shames. This is the land of computer crimes and if you read closely you will find it rhymes.

Obviously there are many honest people in Thailand, it is just that I have not met any of them yet, but then I have only lived here for 13 years.

I have "loaned" money ranging from 4000 bahts to 172000 bahts (all interest-free) to 6 different Thai friends and relatives, supposedly for various reasons like car repair, daughter's operation, starting a new business, bank debt etc etc. and have only ever received the 4000 baht loan back and that was after some effort on my part.

When I was moving some of my furmiture and effects in boxes on the back of a pick-up to my new house, one of the sealed boxes with unknown contents fell off on to the village road.  When I spotted this, I did a U-turn to collect it but meanwhile a Thai family had picked it up and taken it into their garden. They refused to hand it over until I had negotiated a reduced fee of 200 baht, which, despite the negligible amount,  annoyed me intensely.

When I opened the box at home, I discovered it contained some old baskets, which together were probably worth less than 200.

How I wished that I had known what the boxes contained earlier as I would have taken great delight in telling the Thais what they could do with the box and contents. 

8 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Report the "finder" to the police for steeling the Iphone as it was not hers to take from the 7-11 store in the first place! They should also add extortion or what ever it should be as she refuse to give it back even when offered a 1000 Baht "finders fee" and maybe they should add fencing too as she is basically trying to sell stolen goods!

Yo...This is Thailand...Not Vermont...!

10 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Even more pathetic off topic reply from a ferang with the inability to think for himself. 
Just for the record I've no desire to be a Thai. Nor have I the desire to be a populist by jumping on every bandwagon that goes completely OTT every time a Thai does something wrong. 

"Just for the record I've no desire to be a Thai." Just for the record, you're either a Thai or you're not. :coffee1:

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

In any normal society she would return the phone and be satisfied she did the "right" thing. Any reward offered by the owner would be a bonus .
But, it would appear we are not in a normal society ☹️

I would substitute the word "ideal" for "Normal", in the majority of cases in most parts of the world it would not get returned. It would have been kept or sold. I left mine in a tuktuk once and went back to where the guy worked out of and no one would help. I would guess maybe on the average  10% of incidents would result in a return. I have seen a good cross section between the good, the bad, and the ugly aspects of human nature through many travels including touring as a rock and roll musician. 

8 hours ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

Yes it's theft, at the very least she should have handed it over to the 7-11 staff as it was found on their premises. If she found it out on the road then she would have a case to ask for a small reward.

Thank god she's not my gf. ??

In the UK theft has to include the essential element of "the intention of permanently depriving".  Hence in this case, as she is offering to return the phone,  I suspect there would have to be another charge.  Extortion sounds good to me but I don't know much about that.

I would substitute the word "ideal" for "Normal", in the majority of cases in most parts of the world it would not get returned. It would have been kept or sold. I left mine in a tuktuk once and went back to where the guy worked out of and no one would help. I would guess maybe on the average  10% of incidents would result in a return. I have seen a good cross section between the good, the bad, and the ugly aspects of human nature through many travels including touring as a rock and roll musician. 

Yes I agree " ideal " would have been better .

Also agree that anywhere in the world the phone would be long gone.

I think what makes this thread stand out is the audacity of the woman to publicly hold the phone for ransom !!
I can see her idea but definitely think it was a bad one !!

I myself have been lucky in this area, left my iPad in the airplane seat pocket on 2 occasions but both times managed to recover it, had to buy a Turkish visa to get it back one time as was in transit !, but $30 is better than $900 !

I guess the worst I had was leaving a flash memory in a hotels business centre after printing some documents, I remembered just as I was waiting for the elevator and went straight back to find it gone and the only occupant was a Mexican teenager who swore blind he'd not seen it.
I knew he had it and he knew i knew he had it but just wasn't worth making a scene, nothing valuable on it.

4 minutes ago, amjamj said:

People who forget things deserve to be stolen. I never forgot or lost anything my whole life, not because I am a super hero but just because I have a brain and I care my stuff !

Well you lost a lot in that post

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

You are my super hero !

You forgot this one

10 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Behave yourself. Nearly all Thais and farangs would know what the right thing to do is. If you'd do the same thing she's done here, you're just a stupid thieving ..... as well.

Eric & Erñie

4 hours ago, amjamj said:

People who forget things deserve to be stolen. I never forgot or lost anything my whole life, not because I am a super hero but just because I have a brain and I care my stuff !

you forgot the word  "take" care my stuff

6 hours ago, losername said:

In the UK theft has to include the essential element of "the intention of permanently depriving".  Hence in this case, as she is offering to return the phone,  I suspect there would have to be another charge.  Extortion sounds good to me but I don't know much about that.

In the UK it is theft by finding, she would also get 2 more charges. The shop may also prosecute her to save their good name. So 7/11 step up to the plate

This sort of thing shows where things are going here Desperation setting in

17 hours ago, Borzandy said:

I agree 100%, but two months ago I "lost" my mobile and, if someone had offered to pay 5000 Baht, I think I would have done it.

Shhhh, isn't this one woman enough for us!

She effectively stole the phone off the counter, had she grabbed a handful of the chewing gum next to it the story would be the same.

19 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Report the "finder" to the police for steeling the Iphone as it was not hers to take from the 7-11 store in the first place! They should also add extortion or what ever it should be as she refuse to give it back even when offered a 1000 Baht "finders fee" and maybe they should add fencing too as she is basically trying to sell stolen goods!

All good words.  Sad that the people are under such pressure to try and make money

5 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

In the UK it is theft by finding, she would also get 2 more charges. The shop may also prosecute her to save their good name. So 7/11 step up to the plate

This sort of thing shows where things are going here Desperation setting in

Theft of any kind still has to involve "the intention of permanently depriving".  Theft by finding included.

7 hours ago, Rhys said:

....thus what was the outcome?

She is being held in custody until monday when she will be taken to court to answer two charges....theft by finding and demanding money for its return.

On MCOT news last night :thumbsup:

Archived