Pattaya woman demands 5,000 baht before she will return iPhone she found in 7/11 saying she's within her rights

webfact

18 hours ago, Kadilo said:

What?! How dare you spoil a good ol Thai bashing thread.
Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

LOL, I know, I know, but true story. 

At any rate, Thais don't get a free pass, and if there was ever a story worthy of a Good 'Ole Thai Bash, the OP is it.  Gold plated, diamond encrusted example at that.  :thumbsup: 

PS: Thai FaceBookers agree ^ as well.  Seems the police finally pulled their head out and did the needful as well.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5000 is cheap. When my Iphone 6S was "lent" in Pattaya they demanded 10K.
With find my iPhone I could track the phone were it was. Somehow they cracked the pin code, but they could not crack the iCloud password = they could not wipe the phone. 

I talked to the police. Showed maps where my stolen phone was. Well.. People live here know whats happens next. Somehow the lender managed to get the police of the case.

For weeks I had fun sending findiPhone localization pings waking the "lender" up 2-4 AM each night. Each time they tried to use the phone, the got a new nasty message that they stole my phone.

After a month they gave up and send the phone back to me via post office. I promised 5K to pay, after I received the phone. Maybe Im a stupid person. I payed, since I promised. 

I know as a farang in TH: I have no rights here against the national population. Thats is just how it is.

Go to the tourist police and explain the problem: "what do you want us to do about it?"

Wow. Actual conversation. 

Maybe take some guns. Go to the lender and get back all my stuff that is stolen? Like police should do?

---

My Thai teacher later explained to me how its done: Bring a case of Singha to the police station at beach road. Go to operations on second flor. Give a beer each time they help.

20 minutes ago, theswedishguy said:

5000 is cheap. When my Iphone 6S was "lent" in Pattaya they demanded 10K.
With find my iPhone I could track the phone were it was. Somehow they cracked the pin code, but they could not crack the iCloud password = they could not wipe the phone. 

I talked to the police. Showed maps where my stolen phone was. Well.. People live here know whats happens next. Somehow the lender managed to get the police of the case.

For weeks I had fun sending findiPhone localization pings waking the "lender" up 2-4 AM each night. Each time they tried to use the phone, the got a new nasty message that they stole my phone.

After a month they gave up and send the phone back to me via post office. I promised 5K to pay, after I received the phone. Maybe Im a stupid person. I payed, since I promised. 

I know as a farang in TH: I have no rights here against the national population. Thats is just how it is.

Go to the tourist police and explain the problem: "what do you want us to do about it?"

Wow. Actual conversation. 

Maybe take some guns. Go to the lender and get back all my stuff that is stolen? Like police should do?

---

My Thai teacher later explained to me how its done: Bring a case of Singha to the police station at beach road. Go to operations on second flor. Give a beer each time they help.

If you were prepared to pay money to the ones who had your phone, you should of said yes and set up meeting at Starbucks (or whatever) to get it back.   But first, give 1,000 to a policeman if he will go with you to the meeting and say if he catch them, you will call Pattaya 1 to make him look like a hero in the newspaper for helping poor tourist get back an expensive phone. 

You get your phone back, only spend 1,000 not 5,000.  :clap2:

5 hours ago, petermik said:

She is being held in custody until monday when she will be taken to court to answer two charges....theft by finding and demanding money for its return.

On MCOT news last night :thumbsup:

I would be willing to wager she has no clue what she did wrong......just can't comprehend it, I hope someone took the time to try and explain it to her, the most obvious being (as someone already mentioned on this thread) - removing it from the 7/11, how did she even know it did not belong to a staff member, maybe she actually saw the girl that owned it forget to take it, totally dishonest no matter how you look at it

I would hazard a guess that after she stole the phone from the counter she thought she had made easy money, well it looks like she will get a hefty fine and maybe jail time, well just one thing to say is som num na!!!.

Reminds me of when the guy (Westerner) sitting next to my XGF left his phone on the seat of a Baht Bus when getting off, it was a short while before it was noticed by another passenger, I suggested giving it to the driver but my XGF and the other passenger said not to as the driver would keep it, so we held onto it and not long after getting back to our condo it rang, I answered as I was expecting the guy to be talking English, instead  had a hotel receptionist phoning on his behalf so passed the phone to the XGF, he was telling the hotel receptionist to tell my XGF to bring the phone to his hotel, so I said to my XGF tell him to come to our condo well will meet him outside, our condo was not that far away, turned up on the back of a motor bike taxi, very annoyed that we would not bring the phone to his hotel, certainly no reward asked or offered, not even a thank you. 

On 4/7/2017 at 2:27 PM, cloudhopper said:

Well if that happened to me I would pay the 5k, say thanks and move on. But this is a case featuring two desperate people not just one.

The girls down in Pattaya must love you. 

I remember an episode in London many years ago . I was on the train from Heathrow with my job colleagues and the phone had dropped out of my pocket.  When we arrived at the hotel I borrowed another phone and tried to call back to my phone.  A guy answered and he was still on the train , I could hear the background noise.  I asked him to bring it back to me and I also offered a reward.   He just laughed at me and told me to shut up , then he hang up .  This was before smart phones and GPS so it was not possible to do anything , all I could do was to report it to the police .

In Thailand I lost wallets, sun glasses and phones , always returned back to me , no money involved . 

16 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

An intention this woman finder clearly has until she gets 5000 baht.

Next time you are in the UK call the local nick like I just did and you will find in a case like this it was proved she stole it by demanding 5kb for its return. A judge or magistrate in the UK would laugh at you if you tried Oh I found it on a counter and took it to look after and when I had time I would give it back.

If you don own it you have no rights to have it in your possession, its theft, but that is a word that does not translate around here, sorry to say

Please help to disseminate this to all foreign media and share this all all your facebook accounts for your friends and relations  and colleagues overseas to see. Helps to show what thailand and its people are all about these days. If a normal for thais to screw their fellow thais, we foreigners have no hope!

18 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Please help to disseminate this to all foreign media and share this all all your facebook accounts for your friends and relations  and colleagues overseas to see. Helps to show what thailand and its people are all about these days. If a normal for thais to screw their fellow thais, we foreigners have no hope!

I don't think this woman's actions can be used to describe the rest of the Thai people.

:)

7 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Next time you are in the UK call the local nick like I just did and you will find in a case like this it was proved she stole it by demanding 5kb for its return. A judge or magistrate in the UK would laugh at you if you tried Oh I found it on a counter and took it to look after and when I had time I would give it back.

If you don own it you have no rights to have it in your possession, its theft, but that is a word that does not translate around here, sorry to say

Not sure why you're quoting me.  I'm saying it would be theft even considering the "permanent deprivation" rule the other guy mentioned.

My god. What a horrible woman. So much for Buddhism and religion. Thank god I'm an atheist. 

I remember once back home I was in my front garden having a few beers in the summer. A couple of my mates were playfighting and one of them must have lost 20 quid from their pocket. Few days later someone knocks on my door and says they found 20 quid on the pavement in front of my house. Asked if it was mine. I was so impressed with the honesty that I told them I didn't know whose it was. I told them them to keep it (punishment as well for my friend fighting in my garden). The person told me they'd give to a charity. 

Everytime I read about some abhorrent human being who can't conform to decency, I remember this particular person. Try doing something nice for someone else. It's an amazing feeling. 

25 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

My god. What a horrible woman. So much for Buddhism and religion. Thank god I'm an atheist. 

What has that got to do with any of this ?

She is a thief ,

You don't need religion or any pretend we are not a religion for that.

1 hour ago, onemorechang said:

What has that got to do with any of this ?

She is a thief ,

You don't need religion or any pretend we are not a religion for that.

The point was that she's more than likely Buddhist. Ergo, she's religious. Religion teaches moral decency........apparently. 

This attitude is IMO primarily to do with bar girls who are indoctrinated into bar work by owners and managers who from the word go are teaching them to be very focused on money, nothing else matters "money number one", I don't think these girls had that focus before they worked in a bar, it is preached and indoctrinated by scrupulous owners who then proceed to take ownership of them.

I have a policy of not buying lady drinks (I don't believe in it) instead I will possibly buy several beers for several girls at the same price as I pay, this gets mixed reactions, the owners managers don't like it and sometimes will actively discourage their bar girls from taking with me, they cannot label me a cheap Charlie either.

My friends all pay for lady drinks thinking they are so popular with the girls lol when I know once they stop the lady drinks they will be ignored - secretly they probably know that too but wouldn't like to admit it, it is also worth noting that bars run league tables with girls encouraged to compete for the top lady drink slot every month. So the next time you are out and about and some girl prompts you for a drink - say ok farang price and see how popular you are, I have even had girls refuse a free drink lol, some bars the lady drinks are nothing more than flavoured water.

Not all the girls are like this, but remember one thing - you are not obligated to pay 3x the price for a drink for a girl in a bar, it is up to you how you choose to pay - you just might not be as popular as you thought you were :)

Money money money money - thieve a phone - money money money money.....brainwashed

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

The point was that she's more than likely Buddhist. Ergo, she's religious. Religion teaches moral decency........apparently. 

You have no idea of her religion or beliefs.

She may have been Muslim

And there leader had very  dubious morals.

like  Muhammad,   I Believe he was a pediophile.

Smedley got my memory working overtime with this comment

My friends all pay for lady drinks thinking they are so popular with the girls lol

I must be  a cheapo Charlie as I have never bought a bar girl a drink in my life, even my wife sent over a drink to me in the hotel before we first met and next day took me out and bought me a shirt that has never been worn to this day, she was on a seminar and I had just arrived on holiday.

But I guess she is a bright one as now she owns half of everything I own, but have to say she is worth it.

i found a samsung note smart phone daytime buakaow last year at the edge of the road. a busy bit must have been there only seconds.

went to a nearby bar to try and work it and find out the owner but all in thai, pic of a girl but that was it. after about 15 mins it rings and i give it to staff to tell caller i'm here come n get it. shortly after a couple of calls cos they give poor directions a TG shows up and throws herself on the floor at my feet giving me the wahs. i couldn't get her up and boy was it embarrassing,  till i said ok you want to pay for my 1 beer. she was so happy bought my beer 3 drinks for the staff and unknown to me another 3 beers behind the bar.

she had thought it was gone and it's not just the phone its all the numbers etc on the sim card

i found a samsung note smart phone daytime buakaow last year at the edge of the road. a busy bit must have been there only seconds.
went to a nearby bar to try and work it and find out the owner but all in thai, pic of a girl but that was it. after about 15 mins it rings and i give it to staff to tell caller i'm here come n get it. shortly after a couple of calls cos they give poor directions a TG shows up and throws herself on the floor at my feet giving me the wahs. i couldn't get her up and boy was it embarrassing,  till i said ok you want to pay for my 1 beer. she was so happy bought my beer 3 drinks for the staff and unknown to me another 3 beers behind the bar.
she had thought it was gone and it's not just the phone its all the numbers etc on the sim card

And that's the way it should happen !
The finder should have a sense of responsibility so he makes an attempt to find the owner, and the owner should have enough decency to offer some recompense.

Good for you Striderman

9 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Smedley got my memory working overtime with this comment

My friends all pay for lady drinks thinking they are so popular with the girls lol

I must be  a cheapo Charlie as I have never bought a bar girl a drink in my life, even my wife sent over a drink to me in the hotel before we first met and next day took me out and bought me a shirt that has never been worn to this day, she was on a seminar and I had just arrived on holiday.

But I guess she is a bright one as now she owns half of everything I own, but have to say she is worth it.

handsome man

Archived