Jump to content

"Legionella" found in hotels right across Phuket, Pangnga and Krabi


webfact

Recommended Posts

"Legionella" found in hotels right across Phuket, Pangnga and Krabi

 

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

 

BANGKOK: -- Public health authorities have said that they have found the potentially deadly "Legionella" bacteria in shower heads, swimming pools, taps and spas at hotels all over the south of Thailand.

 

In some cases more than ten per cent of the samples they took last year showed evidence of Legionella that can cause pneumonia and other lung and health complications, reported Daily News.

 

But there was some good news - the concentrations they found were not sufficient to affect people. Though they were monitoring the situation.

 

Dr Sukhum Kanchanaphimai, president of the Doctor's Scientific Council said that his organization had taken many samples from hotels from January to December last year after reports that tourists had got infected while holidaying in Thailand.

 

They checked places such as water tanks, shower heads, taps, swimming pools, spas and parts of air conditioning units.

 

In 1,508 samples taken from Phuket, Pangnga and Krabi hotels some 116 tested positive for Legionella. This is about 8% of the samples.

 

The testers found that 13.2% of shower heads were affected, 12.9% of spas and 10.4% of taps.

 

While accepting that the concentrations were not enough to cause disease in people Dr Sukhum said that it was sensible for the authorities to continue to monitor the situation.

 

The bacteria is naturally found in fresh water. It can cause cough, shortness of breath, fever, headache, nausea and vomiting.

 

It has been known to be deadly in which case it is referred to at Legionnaires' Disease that is a severe form of pneumonia.

 

The disease got its name from an outbreak at a hotel in the United States where Legionnaires were staying for a convention.

 

Source: Daily News

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-07
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, clockman said:

Send it viral around the world. Only money matters to these people..

Over the top completely! A really, REALLY stupid comment! Ridiculous "Thai bashing" nonsense!

 

Until I retired I used to work in a government owned building in Luxembourg City. Legionnella tests were carried out regularly on the water supplies and air-conditioning units in that building and the detailed results were provided to everyone who worked there. Those tests almost invariably came back positive for Legionella despite the best efforts of the building maintenance team to eliminate the damned bacterium using chlorine gas to disinfect the water systems and God knows how many other disinfectant chemicals. Legionella is not easy to eliminate, permanently.

 

This bacterium is a big problem throughout the world; it is present in the hot water systems of most hotels, offices and domestic dwellings. Do you ever get the hot water or air-conditioning systems where you live checked for Legionella? 100:1 odds on, you'll find it in the shower heads and in the water system.

 

The thing that worries me more in Thailand is the use of the "misting" systems that are often installed outside bars and restaurants. The supply pipework is usually in direct sunlight so the water inside the pipes, when it is turned off, will attain the ideal temperature range for the development of thriving colonies of Legionella. Then when the system is turned on, it will likely eject an aerosol of concentrated Legionella bacteria all over anyone in the vicinity; that should be a matter of real concern to health officials!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Looks like something else to me.

No it can;t be as there's no big splatter followed by more big splatter, then small splatter, then small drops 555

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, paulbj2 said:

Over the top completely! A really, REALLY stupid comment! Ridiculous "Thai bashing" nonsense!

 

Until I retired I used to work in a government owned building in Luxembourg City. Legionnella tests were carried out regularly on the water supplies and air-conditioning units in that building and the detailed results were provided to everyone who worked there. Those tests almost invariably came back positive for Legionella despite the best efforts of the building maintenance team to eliminate the damned bacterium using chlorine gas to disinfect the water systems and God knows how many other disinfectant chemicals. Legionella is not easy to eliminate, permanently.

 

This bacterium is a big problem throughout the world; it is present in the hot water systems of most hotels, offices and domestic dwellings. Do you ever get the hot water or air-conditioning systems where you live checked for Legionella? 100:1 odds on, you'll find it in the shower heads and in the water system.

 

The thing that worries me more in Thailand is the use of the "misting" systems that are often installed outside bars and restaurants. The supply pipework is usually in direct sunlight so the water inside the pipes, when it is turned off, will attain the ideal temperature range for the development of thriving colonies of Legionella. Then when the system is turned on, it will likely eject an aerosol of concentrated Legionella bacteria all over anyone in the vicinity; that should be a matter of real concern to health officials!

Completely agree. An over the top story with no information for people to make an informed judgement. Most water systems contain legionella. The key is the concentration and if it can be produced in an aerosol. What the maintenance regimes in these establishment consist of is another question. 

There have been numerous small and isolated outbreaks in Dubai recently and I know of one not so long ago in Scotland whose origin was never determined.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, clockman said:

Send it viral around the world. Only money matters to these people..

Do you "send it viral around the world" when it is found in buildings in New York, Frankfurt or London? Probably not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As usual, no mention of what levels/concentrations were actually found in their testing. And, no mention of how the levels they found compare to whatever health standards may exist for the presence of that bacteria, or even if there are any.  All in all, useless.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the misting systems are most dangerous,those hotels and restuarants that use this system on buffet salad bars.

ask me how i know this,i was at a hotel in wales 2005 where 2people died from this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MW72 said:

Completely agree. An over the top story with no information for people to make an informed judgement. Most water systems contain legionella. The key is the concentration and if it can be produced in an aerosol. What the maintenance regimes in these establishment consist of is another question. 

There have been numerous small and isolated outbreaks in Dubai recently and I know of one not so long ago in Scotland whose origin was never determined.

We will never forgive Beau Geste :saai:

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, paulbj2 said:

Over the top completely! A really, REALLY stupid comment! Ridiculous "Thai bashing" nonsense!

 

Until I retired I used to work in a government owned building in Luxembourg City. Legionnella tests were carried out regularly on the water supplies and air-conditioning units in that building and the detailed results were provided to everyone who worked there. Those tests almost invariably came back positive for Legionella despite the best efforts of the building maintenance team to eliminate the damned bacterium using chlorine gas to disinfect the water systems and God knows how many other disinfectant chemicals. Legionella is not easy to eliminate, permanently.

 

This bacterium is a big problem throughout the world; it is present in the hot water systems of most hotels, offices and domestic dwellings. Do you ever get the hot water or air-conditioning systems where you live checked for Legionella? 100:1 odds on, you'll find it in the shower heads and in the water system.

 

The thing that worries me more in Thailand is the use of the "misting" systems that are often installed outside bars and restaurants. The supply pipework is usually in direct sunlight so the water inside the pipes, when it is turned off, will attain the ideal temperature range for the development of thriving colonies of Legionella. Then when the system is turned on, it will likely eject an aerosol of concentrated Legionella bacteria all over anyone in the vicinity; that should be a matter of real concern to health officials!

I would also be  concerned about dirty aircon units as most guest houses have filthy air units in the rooms, a major spreader of legionella.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...