"Legionella" found in hotels right across Phuket, Pangnga and Krabi

webfact

"Legionella" found in hotels right across Phuket, Pangnga and Krabi

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Public health authorities have said that they have found the potentially deadly "Legionella" bacteria in shower heads, swimming pools, taps and spas at hotels all over the south of Thailand.

In some cases more than ten per cent of the samples they took last year showed evidence of Legionella that can cause pneumonia and other lung and health complications, reported Daily News.

But there was some good news - the concentrations they found were not sufficient to affect people. Though they were monitoring the situation.

Dr Sukhum Kanchanaphimai, president of the Doctor's Scientific Council said that his organization had taken many samples from hotels from January to December last year after reports that tourists had got infected while holidaying in Thailand.

They checked places such as water tanks, shower heads, taps, swimming pools, spas and parts of air conditioning units.

In 1,508 samples taken from Phuket, Pangnga and Krabi hotels some 116 tested positive for Legionella. This is about 8% of the samples.

The testers found that 13.2% of shower heads were affected, 12.9% of spas and 10.4% of taps.

While accepting that the concentrations were not enough to cause disease in people Dr Sukhum said that it was sensible for the authorities to continue to monitor the situation.

The bacteria is naturally found in fresh water. It can cause cough, shortness of breath, fever, headache, nausea and vomiting.

It has been known to be deadly in which case it is referred to at Legionnaires' Disease that is a severe form of pneumonia.

The disease got its name from an outbreak at a hotel in the United States where Legionnaires were staying for a convention.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-07

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, clockman said:

Send it viral around the world. Only money matters to these people..

Over the top completely! A really, REALLY stupid comment! Ridiculous "Thai bashing" nonsense!

Until I retired I used to work in a government owned building in Luxembourg City. Legionnella tests were carried out regularly on the water supplies and air-conditioning units in that building and the detailed results were provided to everyone who worked there. Those tests almost invariably came back positive for Legionella despite the best efforts of the building maintenance team to eliminate the damned bacterium using chlorine gas to disinfect the water systems and God knows how many other disinfectant chemicals. Legionella is not easy to eliminate, permanently.

This bacterium is a big problem throughout the world; it is present in the hot water systems of most hotels, offices and domestic dwellings. Do you ever get the hot water or air-conditioning systems where you live checked for Legionella? 100:1 odds on, you'll find it in the shower heads and in the water system.

The thing that worries me more in Thailand is the use of the "misting" systems that are often installed outside bars and restaurants. The supply pipework is usually in direct sunlight so the water inside the pipes, when it is turned off, will attain the ideal temperature range for the development of thriving colonies of Legionella. Then when the system is turned on, it will likely eject an aerosol of concentrated Legionella bacteria all over anyone in the vicinity; that should be a matter of real concern to health officials!

4 hours ago, paulbj2 said:

Over the top completely! A really, REALLY stupid comment! Ridiculous "Thai bashing" nonsense!

Until I retired I used to work in a government owned building in Luxembourg City. Legionnella tests were carried out regularly on the water supplies and air-conditioning units in that building and the detailed results were provided to everyone who worked there. Those tests almost invariably came back positive for Legionella despite the best efforts of the building maintenance team to eliminate the damned bacterium using chlorine gas to disinfect the water systems and God knows how many other disinfectant chemicals. Legionella is not easy to eliminate, permanently.

This bacterium is a big problem throughout the world; it is present in the hot water systems of most hotels, offices and domestic dwellings. Do you ever get the hot water or air-conditioning systems where you live checked for Legionella? 100:1 odds on, you'll find it in the shower heads and in the water system.

The thing that worries me more in Thailand is the use of the "misting" systems that are often installed outside bars and restaurants. The supply pipework is usually in direct sunlight so the water inside the pipes, when it is turned off, will attain the ideal temperature range for the development of thriving colonies of Legionella. Then when the system is turned on, it will likely eject an aerosol of concentrated Legionella bacteria all over anyone in the vicinity; that should be a matter of real concern to health officials!

Completely agree. An over the top story with no information for people to make an informed judgement. Most water systems contain legionella. The key is the concentration and if it can be produced in an aerosol. What the maintenance regimes in these establishment consist of is another question. 

There have been numerous small and isolated outbreaks in Dubai recently and I know of one not so long ago in Scotland whose origin was never determined.

18 hours ago, clockman said:

Do you "send it viral around the world" when it is found in buildings in New York, Frankfurt or London? Probably not.

As usual, no mention of what levels/concentrations were actually found in their testing. And, no mention of how the levels they found compare to whatever health standards may exist for the presence of that bacteria, or even if there are any.  All in all, useless.

the misting systems are most dangerous,those hotels and restuarants that use this system on buffet salad bars.

ask me how i know this,i was at a hotel in wales 2005 where 2people died from this.

13 hours ago, MW72 said:

Completely agree. An over the top story with no information for people to make an informed judgement. Most water systems contain legionella. The key is the concentration and if it can be produced in an aerosol. What the maintenance regimes in these establishment consist of is another question. 

There have been numerous small and isolated outbreaks in Dubai recently and I know of one not so long ago in Scotland whose origin was never determined.

We will never forgive Beau Geste :saai:

18 hours ago, paulbj2 said:

I would also be  concerned about dirty aircon units as most guest houses have filthy air units in the rooms, a major spreader of legionella.

This is good work by someone actually doing competent public health research.  It should be applauded here.  Sadly, if there were actual danger, which it does not seem there is, then I would not trust the Thai government to take effective action based on their clumsiness in other matters, e.g. the recent "too many people in the back of a pickup" hullabaloo released right before Songkran of all times, sheesh.  Oafs.  

If the water supply is located on the surface: rivers, streams, lakes, pond and any other standing source you will have this infection. Most people who contact this diease usually have mild flu like symptons. Do not worry about it in the shower head as the spray is not fine enough to get into the lungs. The water droplets have to be small enough to infiltrate the bodies defenses but if they are too small they cannot carry the bacteria. The only way the split a/c units can be a problem is if the drain pan becomes stopped up and water ponds in the pan then some way this water has to become a mist  fine enough to infect the body. 

The problem with treatment is that it is a bacteria that acts like a virus. Keep your immune system up and you probably have little to fear

21 hours ago, clockman said:

I am amazed they spent the  money to do the testing usually they usually wait till the fhit hits the san before doing anything and then try and smother the bad news so as to not frighten the cattle sorry tourists. Its like everything else in the world today a bad news good news presentation. As a friend of mine stated with a heart problem. The doctor said that he had 72% heart blockage and they like to operate at 70%. The good news is that we can put you on medication that will make you better. The bad news was it did make him feel lethargic. The good news was he quit the medication and felt fine. The bad news was he failed to tell his doctor who surely would have had a heart attach had he known. The next visit to the doctor the good news was the doctor asked him how do you feel he said fine. The doctor said well I guess we don't have to operate. The moral of the story is take all doc speak with a grain of salt but to much salt is dangerous to your health. 

16 hours ago, Gandtee said:

We will never forgive Beau Geste :saai:

Hey Gandtee, Legionnaires french foreign legion had started this disease? And at Beau Geste fort somewhere in north africa (was it Algeria?) .Did they start the "Yellow Club" as well? (yellow club- God forbid "man lay with man" as mentioned in the Bible).

41 minutes ago, moe666 said:

If the water supply is located on the surface: rivers, streams, lakes, pond and any other standing source you will have this infection. Most people who contact this diease usually have mild flu like symptons. Do not worry about it in the shower head as the spray is not fine enough to get into the lungs. The water droplets have to be small enough to infiltrate the bodies defenses but if they are too small they cannot carry the bacteria. The only way the split a/c units can be a problem is if the drain pan becomes stopped up and water ponds in the pan then some way this water has to become a mist  fine enough to infect the body. 

The problem with treatment is that it is a bacteria that acts like a virus. Keep your immune system up and you probably have little to fear

Thanks Doctor Manny. Your the only sane person on Fox News Just kidding. 

2 hours ago, bartender100 said:

120 deaths world wide from death by legionella in the last 17 years

80 everyday on the roads in Thailand

And to think we survived both to now sit at the keyboard and pound out our thoughts. Amazing there must be at least a million other diseases sicknesses that I have side stepped as well. I better quit before I get a God complex. 

19 hours ago, paulbj2 said:

Once I got past your bombastic opening words I enjoyed your post. You seem like a very intelligent person when you calm down. Like most intelligent people you are bombastic when opening your comments is it a superiority complex or something?. You must understand you share the world with us less intelligent people who never the less dislike people talking down to us in a rude manner. I am sure your intelligent enough to understand the gist of my comments. Thanks again for the enlightening post. 

Just as you can find e-coli anywhere you look in nature, legionella can also be found anywhere. Just not in any significant concentrations to cause harm. The Myth-busters showed this very nicely when they placed toothbrushes around in a bathroom for a few days and every brush had e-coli samples, even the one they didn't open from the factory packaging.

2 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

I would also be  concerned about dirty aircon units as most guest houses have filthy air units in the rooms, a major spreader of legionella.

I was surprised to read this as, so far as I was aware, Legionella is an exclusively water borne pathogen. The research that I have done on the internet suggests that the standard two part "cooler on the inside, compressor on the outside" style of aircon unit generally used here do not harbour Legionella whether regularly cleaned and maintained or not. If you have evidence to the contrary please let me know.

Archived