BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

"Legionella" found in hotels right across Phuket, Pangnga and Krabi

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

If the water supply is located on the surface: rivers, streams, lakes, pond and any other standing source you will have this infection. Most people who contact this diease usually have mild flu like symptons. Do not worry about it in the shower head as the spray is not fine enough to get into the lungs. The water droplets have to be small enough to infiltrate the bodies defenses but if they are too small they cannot carry the bacteria. The only way the split a/c units can be a problem is if the drain pan becomes stopped up and water ponds in the pan then some way this water has to become a mist  fine enough to infect the body. 

The problem with treatment is that it is a bacteria that acts like a virus. Keep your immune system up and you probably have little to fear

Interesting! When Legionella was detected in the hot water system of the building where I worked, the only action the management took to protect us all until treatment could be arranged to eliminate the bacterium from the pipework, was to lock and forbid the use of the showers that were available to us as they said, there was a risk of someone showering, inhaling enough bacteria to contract Legionnaires Disease.

They also sent round a statement saying that there was no danger at all in drinking the water as this particular pathogen cannot cause disease by being ingested in that way.

42 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Once I got past your bombastic opening words I enjoyed your post. You seem like a very intelligent person when you calm down. Like most intelligent people you are bombastic when opening your comments is it a superiority complex or something?. You must understand you share the world with us less intelligent people who never the less dislike people talking down to us in a rude manner. I am sure your intelligent enough to understand the gist of my comments. Thanks again for the enlightening post. 

I don't know what is bombastic about calling-out a stupid and, dare I say it, bombastic comment by the original poster who seemed to wish to imply that Thailand was the only place in the world that had this issue, that the rest of the world should be informed of Thailand's failure to act and that Thailand's failure to act was because of untrammelled greed! 

I would agree that Thailand is not perfect but then nor are any of the other countries where I have lived, nor indeed is my homeland, the UK. Quite why people on this forum feel the need to indulge in so much "Thai bashing" I don't quite understand and I don't react particularly well to it! 

I have been made very welcome here and I am very grateful for that. Tell me, who goes to visit someone else's house and makes comments like "what a sh1thole this is, innit!" That's what "Thai bashers" are doing, in effect, they are invited guests in this country and they never stop complaining about the place and about their hosts, the Thais. 

If you want to lay claim to being "unintelligent" that's your problem but I'm sure you are not incapable of simply using Google to check facts, nor, I am sure is the original poster. 

23 minutes ago, paulbj2 said:

I don't know what is bombastic about calling-out a stupid and, dare I say it, bombastic comment by the original poster who seemed to wish to imply that Thailand was the only place in the world that had this issue, that the rest of the world should be informed of Thailand's failure to act and that Thailand's failure to act was because of untrammelled greed! 

I would agree that Thailand is not perfect but then nor are any of the other countries where I have lived, nor indeed is my homeland, the UK. Quite why people on this forum feel the need to indulge in so much "Thai bashing" I don't quite understand and I don't react particularly well to it! 

I have been made very welcome here and I am very grateful for that. Tell me, who goes to visit someone else's house and makes comments like "what a sh1thole this is, innit!" That's what "Thai bashers" are doing, in effect, they are invited guests in this country and they never stop complaining about the place and about their hosts, the Thais. 

If you want to lay claim to being "unintelligent" that's your problem but I'm sure you are not incapable of simply using Google to check facts, nor, I am sure is the original poster. 

See you have already reached step 1 you have unburdened yourself so much and gotten so much off your chest your progress is truly amazing. Nobody said your unintelligent you just seem to pull the trigger on so many derogatory words like stupid etc. as I explained we were not all born equal. Don't belittle your brethren comfort him. Just tone it down a bit do not be mad at me and the world we love you. A good rant does us all good. Look forward to your comments on TV with interest. 

14 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

See you have already reached step 1 you have unburdened yourself so much and gotten so much off your chest your progress is truly amazing. Nobody said your unintelligent you just seem to pull the trigger on so many derogatory words like stupid etc. as I explained we were not all born equal. Don't belittle your brethren comfort him. Just tone it down a bit do not be mad at me and the world we love you. A good rant does us all good. Look forward to your comments on TV with interest. 

Perhaps you should direct your comments at the poster to whom I replied rather than at me?

I contracted Klebsiella Pneumonia on one of my trips to Thailand. It is actually a worse strain than Legionella. Somehow I survived as there is over 90% mortality rate. I am pretty sure I got it from the aircon in an old but nice hotel in Surin as when I turned the aircon on I could smell the mouldy air so I left it on high and opened the window and went to the bar for an hour. Only takes one breath. Was hospitalised for 3 weeks had the triple drip direct into my heart.

1 minute ago, paulbj2 said:

Perhaps you should direct your comments at the poster to whom I replied rather than at me?

Sorry about that glad you brought it to my attention. I really do strive for perfection.

4 minutes ago, paulbj2 said:

Sorry I must retract this looking back I think I got it right. 

I have read the posts of what appear to be experts in Legionella. And i respect their opinions.

I remember back in the Uk years ago that some elderly people died from the problem in a hotel or somewhere.The problem was found to be in the cooling towers and the temperature changes allowing the bacteria to assert itself.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but i thought that the bacteria was only harmful when ingested through the nose as in shower mist.It becomes a respirational  problem.

I would welcome replies from qualified people please, as want to know more about this subject

Thank you.

2 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Just as you can find e-coli anywhere you look in nature, legionella can also be found anywhere. Just not in any significant concentrations to cause harm. The Myth-busters showed this very nicely when they placed toothbrushes around in a bathroom for a few days and every brush had e-coli samples, even the one they didn't open from the factory packaging.

Yes, it's one of those facts of which it is better not to be aware that every time a WC is flushed, it produces a "mist" of water droplets that contain a small amounts of the contents of the pan including urine and faecal matter, if present. Nice eh?

I read the story and thought -

I just read a non-story. They found legionella in non-hazardous levels and no more frequently than you'd find anywhere else. Where's the story?

21 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I have read the posts of what appear to be experts in Legionella. And i respect their opinions.

I remember back in the Uk years ago that some elderly people died from the problem in a hotel or somewhere.The problem was found to be in the cooling towers and the temperature changes allowing the bacteria to assert itself.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but i thought that the bacteria was only harmful when ingested through the nose as in shower mist.It becomes a respirational  problem.

I would welcome replies from qualified people please, as want to know more about this subject

Thank you.

That is what we were told when they found Legionella in a building in which I worked before retirement. No danger at all from drinking the water but they closed the showers as they considered showering in the affected water to be potentially hazardous.

44 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

I contracted Klebsiella Pneumonia on one of my trips to Thailand. It is actually a worse strain than Legionella. Somehow I survived as there is over 90% mortality rate. I am pretty sure I got it from the aircon in an old but nice hotel in Surin as when I turned the aircon on I could smell the mouldy air so I left it on high and opened the window and went to the bar for an hour. Only takes one breath. Was hospitalised for 3 weeks had the triple drip direct into my heart.

Almost 3 years ago I also contracted Legionnaires Disease and Pneumonia from a so called boutique hotel off Sukhumvit in Bangkok. The aircond was extremely stuffy and blowing dust. There is usually a 10 day incubation period before symptoms appear. Back in Melbourne I was in ICU for a week, and 3 months off work. I was on oxygen, drips, had an erratic heart beat and was later told I was extremely lucky to survive as there is an extremely high mortality rate. Mould and fungi spores become airborne particularly if the filters and system isn't cleaned on a frequent basis. Now, everywhere where I stay, as I frequent a lot of nearby Asian countries, I always open the aircon front panel and check the filters. If they aren't clean, I wash them thoroughly with the shower head or bum gun. Using a room fan is a far safer option than an aircon that maybe suspect. It certainly makes you realise that we are all mortal, and death can be around the corner. 

23 hours ago, paulbj2 said:

Over the top completely! A really, REALLY stupid comment! Ridiculous "Thai bashing" nonsense!

Until I retired I used to work in a government owned building in Luxembourg City. Legionnella tests were carried out regularly on the water supplies and air-conditioning units in that building and the detailed results were provided to everyone who worked there. Those tests almost invariably came back positive for Legionella despite the best efforts of the building maintenance team to eliminate the damned bacterium using chlorine gas to disinfect the water systems and God knows how many other disinfectant chemicals. Legionella is not easy to eliminate, permanently.

This bacterium is a big problem throughout the world; it is present in the hot water systems of most hotels, offices and domestic dwellings. Do you ever get the hot water or air-conditioning systems where you live checked for Legionella? 100:1 odds on, you'll find it in the shower heads and in the water system.

The thing that worries me more in Thailand is the use of the "misting" systems that are often installed outside bars and restaurants. The supply pipework is usually in direct sunlight so the water inside the pipes, when it is turned off, will attain the ideal temperature range for the development of thriving colonies of Legionella. Then when the system is turned on, it will likely eject an aerosol of concentrated Legionella bacteria all over anyone in the vicinity; that should be a matter of real concern to health officials!

We know this very well but Thais said "mai pen rai".

I feel i must reply to this topic as my husband died from legionaires disease.

Following his death water samples from the shower in our house, taps and from the waterfall in the pond were all tested for legionaires but came back negative.  At the time as he was the only person to have been diagnosed that week no further action/investigations in the places where he had been were carried out, still do not know where he got it from

Good to Owenm for surviving this dreadful condition - you are only the second person i have heard of who survived this terrible disease I hope you have no residual problems from this.

Some years ago - I think it was in Scotland two people were admitted to hospital suffering from Legionaires disease - i cannot remember if they survived.  However the cause was not water droplets but handling infected compos