Where to buy hiking shoes, Western size

thailandsgreat

My hiking boots are wearing down. Where in Bangkok would I go to find models fitting Western feet?

The same thing happened last year in Chiang Mai. I thoroughly scanned the 4 larger malls. Finally bought a pair at North Face in C. Festival. They barely fitted. My feet are not long but we Westerners have wider feet and Asian shoes are often narrow, even if you buy larger size (they are just longer).

I don't need extremely high boots.

I am still not in Bangkok. Maybe I should stay here and see if there is express mail order from home.

if yer walkin' on a flat trail surface in good weather I find that a pair of good fitting running shoes will do the trick for which there are many retailers...

45 years ago I had an expensive pair of Lowa mountain boots but then later found that a pair of work boots at a fraction of the price were suitable as they provided the same support and protection...

there's a lot of hype surrounding 'outdoor equipment' and I spent a lot of time in the CA Sierra Nevada when I was young and poor, even managed to get by with an army jacket and a woolen shirt in severe weather conditions...a good sleeping bag is another question, however...they're definitely worth the money that you pay fer them; put yer boots in the stuff bag in the foot in the bag so that they don't freeze overnight, etc...nice and toasty when snuggled up with piece of insulite outdoors outta the howlin' wind...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, all good suggestions. But it is a known problem, finding hiking shoes for Western feet, in Asia. I honestly got an ingrown toenail from the pair I bought in Chiang Mai last time, even though I had looked around plenty.

In Decathlon now. Good prices on what I believe is their own brand. No major brands here.

Probably back to Paragon and Central world again tomorrow.

There used to be a shop in Amarin Plaza, I bought my boots there when I walked the Death Railway 5 years ago.. I have uk size 11 feet.  From memory it is 1st floor at the back, it's an outdoor pursuits place. 

Thanks, that will fit with my return to Central World.

I don't have long feet. Just maybe a little bit wide, but not extreme. And Asians definitely have narrower feet than Westerners. What they call size 44 European here fits me, regarding length. I use maybe size 43-44 European back home.

But they are much narrower here.

It is also the culture. Hiking traditions are not so strong here. What is sometimes sold as hiking shoes and clothes in Asia would not go far in f.ex northern Europe or the Alp countries. I wonder if even the famous brands sometimes sell simpler models here, but a few are ok regarding quality. Choice becomes limited.

Good to know that shoes run narrow in Asia... I have narrow feet, so if I can find sizes big enough, it might be good for me to buy shoes here.  (Now to find the right hiking shoes.  My main criterion being, they cannot be slippery on wet rocks!  I have found out the hard way with my current shoes; normally I'm quite sure-footed and the shoes are great on dry ground, but take me to a waterfall or other place where rocks will be wet and it will get dangerous {as in, the first time I discovered this I nearly fell off some rocks just from shifting my weight while standing still}.)

There used to be a shop in Amarin Plaza, I bought my boots there when I walked the Death Railway 5 years ago.. I have uk size 11 feet.  From memory it is 1st floor at the back, it's an outdoor pursuits place. 

I found Sam's Sports on the map. Seem to have shoes. I go try today.   

Good to know that shoes run narrow in Asia... I have narrow feet, so if I can find sizes big enough, it might be good for me to buy shoes here.  (Now to find the right hiking shoes.  My main criterion being, they cannot be slippery on wet rocks!  I have found out the hard way with my current shoes; normally I'm quite sure-footed and the shoes are great on dry ground, but take me to a waterfall or other place where rocks will be wet and it will get dangerous {as in, the first time I discovered this I nearly fell off some rocks just from shifting my weight while standing still}.)

Hard soles can be slippery. Softer grip wet stone better but wear faster, is my experience. A little bit of both grip and non-wear will cost, is my experience.  (Especially if it is marketed as "super low vibration airplane tire rubber" :) :)

I buy all my shoes at the ECCO stores. It's a Danish owned chain and the shoes are produced in Thailand. I'm size 46 and they always have my size .   In Bangkok you have one ECCO store in Mega Bangna , not sure about Central.   ecco.com/collections-hiking/  

Ecco shoes have legendary "orthopedic" qualities. Let's see what their hiking boots look like. Found them on the map in Central World. Naturally, like with SUV cars and some other stuff that have a "rugged" image, it is sometimes only the *image* that is of importance for the city dweller. Timberland and others with soft cushions around the back are maybe more for looking good when hiking to the office [emoji6] [emoji6] Those soft parts wear fast. As does nylon on the top.  I am not German. But look at how they make boots. Lasts forever (almost :) ) 300 bucks, though

Thanks guys.

OTT a bit as these are running shoes but one thing for sure I'll NEVER buy Nike here again. Designer prices for Market quality! I'm damn sure the quality isn't the same as in Europe. Last pair cost around 7-8,000. Fell apart within 18 months and that's not heavy use as I rotate them. I think it's down to the heat and humidity, rots the glue they use and it just breaks down. Crap. The shoes I just bought to replace them were the most expensive Kalenji I could find from Decathlon. Great range of styles and, more to the point, SIZES, even 1/2 sizes. Less than half the price of the Nikes and more comfortable for me too. Even if they fall apart in the same period of time if I'd rather replace them at their prices rather than at Nike hike!!

Given that hiking is a more vigorous form of walking, as has been said, I can see the activity being off the radar for a lot of Thais. Stereotyping I know but white collar workers seem to be more in to exercise than non WCW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OTT a bit as these are running shoes but one thing for sure I'll NEVER buy Nike here again. Designer prices for Market quality! I'm damn sure the quality isn't the same as in Europe. Last pair cost around 7-8,000. Fell apart within 18 months and that's not heavy use as I rotate them. I think it's down to the heat and humidity, rots the glue they use and it just breaks down. Crap. The shoes I just bought to replace them were the most expensive Kalenji I could find from Decathlon. Great range of styles and, more to the point, SIZES, even 1/2 sizes. Less than half the price of the Nikes and more comfortable for me too. Even if they fall apart in the same period of time if I'd rather replace them at their prices rather than at Nike hike!!

Given that hiking is a more vigorous form of walking, as has been said, I can see the activity being off the radar for a lot of Thais. Stereotyping I know but white collar workers seem to be more in to exercise than non WCW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Especially super light running shoes with ventilating mesh on top will wear quickly. Neither sole nor upper would be enough protective for hiking. Asics used to have some such models too.

Finally bought a pair of North Face in Central World. Nowadays some models are made from thin nylon, also sole thin, just to be light.
Not really what I am used to, but probably a reasonable hiking shoe. At least the thin material solves the width problem, it wraps around the foot like the old tennis shoes made from cloth :)

Timberland also had some ok shoes, but narrow and soft, not the very sturdy. Looks good though.
Thanks guys.

Basically, you can't buy real hiking boots in Thailand. Asians hate walking anywhere. You'll find Timberland, etc. If you think Timberland are hiking boots, you're not a hiker.

I was completely of that opinion about Timberland before (yellow shoe, yellow sole) like I wrote in the thread. But it is a matter or just getting the job done for a while until I can get hold of a proper pair. Some Timberland models would have done the job for a while, but worn fast (and have narrow fit). Some new models are more functional than the "typical" Timberland. Look very different from what I imagined about Timberland. They have a shop by North Face in Central World.

Thanks for many good suggestions. Decathlon and Amarin plaza had tons of shoes, but not really for hiking.

Can add that I am not exceedingly fond of the new pair of North Face. (No cheapie model.) Light with thin sole. I just found out that walking on hot tarmac /stone paving, the heat immediately goes to the foot, no real vibration damping [emoji20]

I know my size, but no support team at home I can use for "mail order". Same problem every time I leave my country for more than 1 year straight :)

• 7 months later...
On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:29 AM, thailandsgreat said:

Ok, is Ecco any good? I need new hiking boots and am really disappointed with the 7000THB pairs of North Faces I have bought in the past. Very comfy but the soles are just glued on and fall off after a short use.

Are Ecco any better. I need something sturdy, will be climing hills and walking thro rice paddy sludge.

Cheers

I personally have never bought Ecco so will leave it to others to comment but I also am not impressed with North Face booots for the reason you mention. The Merrill I presently use are holding up a treat and that includes traipsing around India and Pakistan past couple of years so consider this brand if you can't find what you are looking for.

1 hour ago, Mahseer said:

The Merrill I presently use are holding up a treat

Thanks, I'll try anything over North Face if I can find them. Most important is comfort, I never blister from North Face ever, but a shame the shoes fall to bits so easy at such a high price.

I notice on an earlier thread back in 2010 someone posted they are on sale in Bangkok, so I will try and see if I can get some. Prices look cheaper than North Face as well.

Cheers

23 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Merrill ...so consider this brand if you can't find what you are looking for.

Just got my hands on several pairs of Merrell hiking boots in Emporium Bangkok and they look good. They were on sale with North Face in this shopping mall as main two brand names I noticed, cannot say I notice much in build between them but will give Merrell a try as I have had it with North Face for time being.

Thanks for the tip.

• 1 month later...
Just got my hands on several pairs of Merrell hiking boots in Emporium Bangkok and they look good. They were on sale with North Face in this shopping mall as main two brand names I noticed, cannot say I notice much in build between them but will give Merrell a try as I have had it with North Face for time being.

Thanks for the tip.

I own several pairs of Merrell. Found some Merrell Capra boots at Maya (mall) in Chiang Mai last year 50% OFF! That made the price same as “full price” in the USA. The sizing is same as US my normal size fit perfectly.

• 11 months later...
On 12/14/2017 at 9:01 AM, overherebc said:

Anyone ever seen these for sale in LOS ??

38420-0501151045341788825336.jpg

I had a berghaus parka purchased in the UK...it was expensive and wasn't worth a shit, left it in a taxi and was glad to be rid of it...REI Co-op in the US is half the price and much better design and quality...the parka I have now is 10 y.o. and after rough duty almost like new...had a previous one that was excellent but the ex wife stole it offa me when we split up...

Archived