Just Another Form of Double Pricing

losworld

After residing in Thailand for a number of years now on I went to get a post paid account at DTAC for my cellular plan.  It offers about half the cost or less for far better data plans.  Of course it is not available to farangs except with a "work visa".  Not even a "retirement extension" of O visa could get it even if you had a gazillion dollars. 

I have concluded this is just another way to let the carriers make a heap off the farang while Thais can pay less.  I see no justification for this and it frankly pisses me off as we allow Thais to vote in America, get visas, get citizenship, get phone plans and the list goes on.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, losworld said:

I see no justification for this and it frankly pisses me off as we allow Thais to vote in America, get visas, get citizenship, get phone plans and the list goes on.

You're asking for symmetry where there's really none to begin with. The US is a land of immigrants - the current jackass in the WH notwithstanding - while Thailand is most definitely not.

And I never knew a single well-off Thai in the US - and I knew plenty studying at the school I went to - who wanted to make a life in the US. On the other hand, almost every American guy (including moi) who had ever vacationed here who I talked to fantasized about moving to the LOS. So the demand and supply equation is upside down too Thailand vs. US.

2 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

You're asking for symmetry where there's really none to begin with. The US is a land of immigrants - the current jackass in the WH notwithstanding - while Thailand is most definitely not.

And I never knew a single well-off Thai in the US - and I knew plenty studying at the school I went to - who wanted to make a life in the US. On the other hand, almost every American guy (including moi) who had ever vacationed here who I talked to fantasized about moving to the LOS. So the demand and supply equation is upside down too Thailand vs. US.

Well that's interesting because there are more thais in los angeles than in any city in Thailand outside of Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  So I really don't know what the hell you are talking about regarding Thais not wanting to go to the US.  How is that relevant to being a fair policy.

" Of course it is not available to farangs except with a "work visa".  Not even a "retirement extension" of O visa could get it even if you had a gazillion dollars "

this is not correct: I entered a post-paid AIS contract based on this paper work: Passport, Yellow House book - finished. Nobody asked for WP, retirement, O visa or gazillion of dollars...then again, maybe AIS have a differing policy compared to DTAC once it comes to things farang

Edited by thurien

31 minutes ago, thurien said:

" Of course it is not available to farangs except with a "work visa".  Not even a "retirement extension" of O visa could get it even if you had a gazillion dollars "

this is not correct: I entered a post-paid AIS contract on this paper work: Passport, Yellow House book - finished. Nobody asked for WP, retirement, O visa or gazillion of dollars...then again, maybe AIS have a differing policy compared to DTAC once it comes to things farang

Exactly as with every business, bank or government office in Thailand, the person behind the counter makes up the new rules on the spot.

I suggest the OP goes to another Dtac shop and he will be able to sign up

As others mentioned, that you can't get postpaid without work permit is not correct.
I asked at DTAC Siam paragon and they wanted have a copy of my bank book, passport and statement from my university I'm actually a student in Thailand (ED Visa).

1 hour ago, losworld said:

Well that's interesting because there are more thais in los angeles than in any city in Thailand outside of Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  So I really don't know what the hell you are talking about regarding Thais not wanting to go to the US.  How is that relevant to being a fair policy.

I said well-off Thai. Of course, those making 300b/day here would be happy to make 10x that wherever. Like the Mideast has millions of SE Asians  slaving and squirreling, not that they are particularly happy and won't decamp back home the moment the new house and car are paid off.

It's relevant because every country/business sets policies to attract people they want/need. Sadly, we don't fall in that category here while the US would grind to a halt without plentiful cheap immigrant labor - again the jackass in the WH notwithstanding.

6 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

I know plenty of well off Thais in the UK, there are thousands of them. Many own Thai restaurants, supermarket chains and massage parlours. I know of a few Thais that own their own homes in affluent Wimbledon, London, some of the properties are valued at £3 million.  Even have their own temple there. Also many have bought homes in the centre of London, like Hammersmith, Kensington and Earls court, most well beyond the affordability of the average working class Brits.  

Most know of all the cons, marriages of convenience, working for several years when after 5 years I think, they automatically receive permanent stay visas in the UK, when they can work, own businesses and own property with no questions asked. Many Thais are able to obtain duel nationality, especially those who marry Brits. I have as much chance of gaining Thai citizenship as winning the lottery. 

I also know of some Thais that left England for America,  paid for a marriage of convenience and soon had duel American and Thai citizenships. I hear that Australia is the place for Thais to go now, apparently it`s a doddle for them to obtain visas. They go as students, work illegally and many pay for marriages of convenience, there are even corrupt agencies that make all the arrangements for them.

To conclude my rant; it is much easier for Thais to become established in the west, then it is for Farangs in Thailand and many knowing all the cons and tricks or have Thai friends that show them the way, do make it big time by knowing how to use the system in their favour, whether legal or not.

Never had a problem with DTAC post paid, get exactly the same as advertised. Because so many places offer wifi this means I get 100 min calls and half a gig of full speed 4g for 199 ฿ plus VAT

No work visa

11 hours ago, Sandman77 said:

Next time before I enter a national park , I defenetly, wear a witch mask ..

Gesendet von iPhone mit Thaivisa Connect

So does the gate attendant ask you witch/which nationality are you farang pay more. 

12 hours ago, losworld said:

Please reference that figure.

I dont believe it....

5 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

To conclude my rant; it is much easier for Thais to become established in the west, then it is for Farangs in Thailand and many knowing all the cons and tricks or have Thai friends that show them the way, do make it big time by knowing how to use the system in their favour, whether legal or not.

They are not stupid.

If making money is the object, then Thailand is not the place to be, either for Thais or for Farang.

I also noticed that when the Thais go to Farangland, they get tremendous support from other Thais, who help them get started, offer employment, and have a list of tricks to get around the system and benefit from it.

When the Farang come to Thailand, there are any number of grumpy old s0ds trying to make life difficult for somebody trying to start a business.

More cheap Charlie complaints....How about:

Senior Citizen Discounts

Student Discounts

Military Discounts

free drinks for ladies night

half price for 55+ y/o

double tax deduction for disabled

food stamps

free cell phones for job seekers

disability for lazy deadbeats...not double price, total give-a-way

++++++++++++++

If you have the money just stop complaining and enjoy life!!!!

Some years ago I took a truck load of Thais to a national park. I have a retirement visa and a Thai drivers license. That said, I am a crotchety old stubborn guy. I refused to pay the farang entry price. There were many cars lined up behind me so I couldn't even back up. All the Thais in my truck surrounded the ticket booth and they were all yelling at once. I think the ticket seller feared for his life. LOL! We all got in for the Thai price and nothing more was said.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I have a retirement visa/extension and  have a postpaid DTAC account. They bill me via email every month. All you need is your passport or Thai drivers license.

Perhaps you need to try another DTAC location..

Yes, they are probably like most Thai establishments, making up there own rules.

When I wanted the internet in my house True Move wanted a year upfront, only Thais can get pay monthly, contracts, possibly they have been 'stung' by Farangs doing a 'runner' ?

Since moving in 5 months I get DTAC Bills for the previous renter, I have informed DTAC but they still keep coming.

Edited by jamie2009

13 hours ago, Sandman77 said:

Next time before I enter a national park , I definitely , wear a witch mask ..

Won't work  :biggrin:   As CH said get the wife to deal with it, my wife says what !!  my husband is not here you must be seeing a pee. :laugh:

america is the worst county in the world for double pricing..........   go to disneyland and a 1 day ticket is appox $80 but a 1 yr pass is $85 but only for the locals..   and it is this way all over the country..  worst thieves in the world.   they just say it a little more descitely than the thais.

I caught a train from Hua Hin to Suasoanpradipat two train stations away

I was with four Thais, I had to pay 2 baht they all travelled for free, I have

written to the general manager Thai railways and my local MP in the uk !

america is the worst county in the world for double pricing..........   go to disneyland and a 1 day ticket is appox $80 but a 1 yr pass is $85 but only for the locals..   and it is this way all over the country..  worst thieves in the world.   they just say it a little more descitely than the thais.

Yeah, you say it. Locals. I know that system, too. But it doesn't discriminate one by his origins. Can be any nationality as long you have a proof you live around there, let's say province.
Which could be a driver's licence for foreigners...

16 minutes ago, fulhamboy said:

I caught a train from Hua Hin to Suasoanpradipat two train stations away

I was with four Thais, I had to pay 2 baht they all travelled for free, I have

written to the general manager Thai railways and my local MP in the uk !

North End Road...speak to Solly... He'll be more help than your MP....lol

Can a Thai person who is under 60 get into the movies for Sr. Citizen prices? Can they go to out of state universities for in state prices? Can you? Can you play a public golf course in NY for local prices if you are from California? 

Wait! Big news. This is Thailand and it is a different culture with different ways of doing things. Did you think all the rules, regulations and prices and ways of doing things would be exactly the same as your particular home town? 

Get over it. Buy the plan or not - I think you have that choice. 

ps - if you had a gazillion dollars, do you think you might relax a little and just pay the few cents more? 

Edited by kenk24

14 minutes ago, CLW said:

Yeah, you say it. Locals. I know that system, too. But it doesn't discriminate one by his origins. Can be any nationality as long you have a proof you live around there, let's say province.
Which could be a driver's licence for foreigners...

So, it is ok to discriminate by and in ways that you are accustomed to, but not in ways that you are not.... ?? This is part of being in another culture. They do things differently. Why do people come here and not get that? Do they protest when they eat pad Thai for 30 baht and say, no no no - this is too cheap - in my country it would cost ... let me pay you more... 

Maybe if you just thought of going to a National Park as a right of a Thai - to go free... and others pay for upkeep, - is that so bad? 

59 minutes ago, wanderluster said:

God this website has gone to sh!t......one company offers offers an annual pass discount for locals then a wierdo declares America the worst offender in the world for discriminatory based pricing!

Meanwhile the original poster thinks Thai citizens are eligible to vote in American elections (clue: they can't), and another poster thinks that a post paid phone account is a "credit facility"...err, yeah, try paying for your groceries with your Phone account and see how that works !

Then we get an endless stream of whiners complaining that time that had pay x times the thai price for something one day 10 years ago and blah blah blah they've been bitter ever since.....(well at least this later category of whiners still have an attachment to reality that the fomer posters don't)

So let me give you lot some free advice, if all this stuff upsets you, then perhaps Thailand is not for you. It will not change and will only get worse. That is how the world works, When they work out a new revenue stream from people like you then they will enforce it. Unfortunately, I say that because it is happening everywhere. So, either Learn to live with it, or exploit the loopholes or move elsewhere. You'll thank me and live a happier life 

15 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

I don't think you know what you're talking about.