New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 January 2019 11:11
Sign in to follow this  
rogerdee123

Don Muang To Re-open ?

Don Muang airport could reopen to ease congestion ... Bangkok Post 21 Dec 2006

Don Muang airport, which closed in late September after 92 years of service, may return as Bangkok's second airport because Suvarnabhumi airport is now congested. Deputy Transport Minister Sansern Wongcha-um said passenger and airline inconvenience at Suvarnabhumi airport had prompted airline operators to demand Don Muang airport be reopened, and revive a plan to use both Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports to serve Bangkok's air traffic.

//see Bangkok Post website for full story//

An AoT source said a prompt decision on reopening Don Muang could allow Bangkok to serve heavy traffic during the upcoming New Year and Chinese New Year festivals, as Suvarnabhumi airport could not handle any more flights.

Can someone buy this AoT person a clue. New Year is just 10 days away! You want to move some of the LCCs back to Don Muang when masses of people are coming in and already bought tickets on connecting flights and now will miss their flights due to having to transfer across town? Not to mention creating mass confusion about which airport their flight is departing from? Not a very bright plan if you ask me. I'm all for allowing the LCCs to move back to Don Muang if they want to, but expecting to complete a move in 10 days is simply ludicrous.

An AoT source said a prompt decision on reopening Don Muang could allow Bangkok to serve heavy traffic during the upcoming New Year and Chinese New Year festivals, as Suvarnabhumi airport could not handle any more flights.

Can someone buy this AoT person a clue. New Year is just 10 days away! You want to move some of the LCCs back to Don Muang when masses of people are coming in and already bought tickets on connecting flights and now will miss their flights due to having to transfer across town? Not to mention creating mass confusion about which airport their flight is departing from? Not a very bright plan if you ask me. I'm all for allowing the LCCs to move back to Don Muang if they want to, but expecting to complete a move in 10 days is simply ludicrous.

(Roulette) "Will you please put this hundred dollar bill on 'black' please ! "

If my plane on friday the 29th lands at DM I win double right !?

Thanks,

Randy

Don Muang airport could reopen to ease congestion ... Bangkok Post 21 Dec 2006

''Today the government has admitted that Suvarnabhumi is congested and has reached full capacity since its opening just three months ago,'' he said.

Re-using Don Muang would relieve traffic at Suvarnabhumi, and could allow traffic of low-cost airlines to grow 20-30% annually in the next 4-5 years.

Udom Tantiprasongchai, chief executive of Orient Thai Airlines which runs the One-Two-Go budget carrier, said Don Muang should be reopened to serve domestic flights by low-cost airlines

I've read it too. 30 or so years of planning and it reaches full capacity after 2 bloody month.

When I said in another thread that this think is some sort of a mess (even so I didn't say it directly) I got fire from all sides. Just do me a favour and don't blame Toxin. He wanted to build a city around it. Others are talking about expanding it to 6!!!! lanes. And others again get fired 2-3 days after they got the WP and TL. Some mess up the SET. Is it possible that LOC is in a terrible mess.

Plans to be discussed are to have the budget airlines land at Don M.

Seriously, only in Thailand can such a massive cock-up be the order of the day . . . kind of makes the Zimbabwean Econimic Department look professional.

When I flew over DM recently on the way back to Suvarnabhumi I noticed the old Tristars of Thai Sky Airlines still parked on the apron. I wonder if there is anything by way of Air Traffic Control coverage or other services at DM to (a) enable those planes to leave, or (:o as a back-up should anything prevent planes from landing at Suvarnabhumi ?

When I flew over DM recently on the way back to Suvarnabhumi I noticed the old Tristars of Thai Sky Airlines still parked on the apron. I wonder if there is anything by way of Air Traffic Control coverage or other services at DM to (a) enable those planes to leave, or (:o as a back-up should anything prevent planes from landing at Suvarnabhumi ?

As far as I am aware, Don Muang is still technically open to air traffic. Personally, I would like to see it reopen. Why take years and spend a fortune on expanding Suvarnaphumi when

a. Suvrnaphumi as it is now is not even finished yet.

b. There is a perfectly servicable airport up the road capable of handling 30 million plus passengers a year?

London, New York,Paris, Manila etc. seem to mange with more than one airport. Why not Bangkok?

As far as I am aware, Don Muang is still technically open to air traffic. Personally, I would like to see it reopen. Why take years and spend a fortune on expanding Suvarnaphumi when

b. There is a perfectly servicable airport up the road capable of handling 30 million plus passengers a year?

London, New York,Paris, Manila etc. seem to mange with more than one airport. Why not Bangkok?

This is indeed something I cannot understand either, everyones like oohhhh we've got this new airport and poor old DM is just kicked aside. Other countries must be laughing at the fact Bangkok has only one major airport. A mark of a cutting edge capital city is its airports. Having only one makes it look over forty years in the past.

When I flew over DM recently on the way back to Suvarnabhumi I noticed the old Tristars of Thai Sky Airlines still parked on the apron. I wonder if there is anything by way of Air Traffic Control coverage or other services at DM to (a) enable those planes to leave, or (:D as a back-up should anything prevent planes from landing at Suvarnabhumi ?

Wotcha mean OLD.... :D

If you look carefully next time you will see that Thai Airways have a couple of pilots and mechanics sleeping in them just in case they need them as a back up on their Bangok to London service... :o

The femail caddies will double up as temp air hostesses...

You just answered your own question - If BKK were to open DM again they may open an even bigger can of worms, and that is on the order of planes landing at wrong airports! Can you imagine ATC routing your "inter flight" to DM instead of SVB and vis vers ! It is just a ticking bomb - watch this go off ! LOL !

I hope they dont try to pull anything til after my trip is over in a few weeks; cross my fingers on that one - LOL !

Thanks,

Randy

Thats silly, planes dont land at the wrong airport. Los Angeles has about four major airports and three minor ones that are almost on top of each other. ATC and modern GPS keep planes within a few feet of where they are sposed to be. No one can fault Thailand ATC or tower, they are some of the very best to be able to keep Don Muang running at about 110% of capacity for over three years without even a close call other than some idiot pilots clipping wings while around the gates. Two airports would be a piece of cake with the experience level and technology available and operating.

The key would be the ability to shuttle between the two airports. With traffic so horrendous and the distance so great, it would cause a real problem for transfers. Other regional airports next to international hubs have pretty good shuttle service.

I hope they will reopen Don Muang too. It just makes much more sense. As for the link between the two airports, the current gov't has already approved the plan to construct another elevated rail line from Don Muang to Bang Sue. The only missing link to the one that's currently under construction is the line from Bang Sue to Payathai. This part is already in the master plan though, but they just need to resolve some issues that involve running past the King's palace (Chitlada Rahothan palace), and the relocation of a couple slum communities.

Anyway the whole airport link probably won't be completed within the next five or six years. :o So, in the meantime, I guess travelleres who have to connect their flights at Don Muang will have to use the express way and Don Muang Toll way or something. :D:D