Don Muang To Re-open ?

rogerdee123

• 3 weeks later...
Don Muang airport could reopen to ease congestion ... Bangkok Post 21 Dec 2006

''Today the government has admitted that Suvarnabhumi is congested and has reached full capacity since its opening just three months ago,'' he said.

Re-using Don Muang would relieve traffic at Suvarnabhumi, and could allow traffic of low-cost airlines to grow 20-30% annually in the next 4-5 years.

Udom Tantiprasongchai, chief executive of Orient Thai Airlines which runs the One-Two-Go budget carrier, said Don Muang should be reopened to serve domestic flights by low-cost airlines

I've read it too. 30 or so years of planning and it reaches full capacity after 2 bloody month.

When I said in another thread that this think is some sort of a mess (even so I didn't say it directly) I got fire from all sides. Just do me a favour and don't blame Toxin. He wanted to build a city around it. Others are talking about expanding it to 6!!!! lanes. And others again get fired 2-3 days after they got the WP and TL. Some mess up the SET. Is it possible that LOC is in a terrible mess.

This was always going to be the problem with the new airport. When it was designed however many decades ago, international tourism numbers suggested that S'Pumhi was going to have more than double the capacity of Don Muang. Over the 20 years since it was designed for 40mn passengers a day, Don Muang had already reached 35mn approx, so there was almost no spare capacity.

If there was any bright idea that Taksin had about the new airport was to start planning an extra terminal even before it had opened to give it capacity. I am not sure of the exact figures but when Singapore opens it's 3rd terminal soon it will have capacity for 70mn. When one considers that Singapore definitely does not have the tourist attractions of Thailand, one must assume that this enormous volume is for business and transit passengers from Asia and Europe. This is the true meaning of a hub.

If they re-open Don Muang Thailand will look like a complete laughing stock. If one is travelling from Europe, there is no way one wants to transit across Bangkok, likewise exiting. Do not discount the fact that you can now go from Singapore to North East Thailand, and several other places in Thailand. This will hurt Thai airways immeasurably. All Singapore airlines has to do is offer direct flights from Chiangmai, Khon Kaen and a few other places and everyone will fly there instead of transiting in Bangkok. Bite the bullet and start expanding S"Phumi now.

You can build 50 more terminals and not be able to get a single additional passenger through SUV. Airport capacity is determined by the number of runways actually, DM has two, SUV has two. The airport was originally designed for room for at least six runways with four being built in the initial stage. Because of the tremendouse expense of preparing the swamp for a runway, it was decided to only build two immediately and start the other two sometime prior to opening, hopefully having them operational a year or two later.

That was really not a bad plan. Two runways would have increased capacity over DM about 15% and given them breathing room to get the other two finished as passenger loads increased. That is, if the airport had opened on schedule in 2000 ( some of these decisions were made in the 90s when money was tight as well). Unfortunately, the airport is still not done and passenger loads have grown to the point where its full capacity IF all the bugs were worked out. There is an immediate and urgent need for additional capacity and new runways are way down on the list of places to pour money into Cobra Swamp, not that there is a lot of surplus capital available at the moment.

Don Muang could take a lot of pressure off SUV by becoming a cargo center, a LCC center, and maybe capturing a specific regional airline like Air Asia possibly. Thats enough pressure off SUV to get the kinks ironed out and start looking at ways to increase capacity.

Dont forget, they are not going to force all domestic flights out of DM, that would be a disaster. Thai Air will still use SUV almost exclusively and be glad to book you straight through to almost all Thailand destinations without transferring to DM, it will cost more but may well be worth it. I really dont see a problem going from SUV to DM anyway, a rapid direct bus service on the elevated highways is not all that much trouble and similar arrangements have worked for decades in most major cities in the world.

Glad to see Don Muang possibly getting back into service, I miss that airport.

Merge this thread with this thread?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=100943&hl=

They are the same...

==================================================

IATA blasts AoT decision to shift flights

Don Muang looks set to make a comeback

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) said yesterday that a decision by Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) to shift some commercial flights back to Don Muang would dampen Bangkok's potential for becoming an aviation hub. Making flight connections between two airports would be a huge inconvenience for passengers, and might further damage the attractiveness of Thailand as a tourist destination, the world's largest airline trade group said.

Responding to a query from the Bangkok Post, Albert Tjoeng, the IATA spokesman for Asia-Pacific, said: ''Imagine a passenger arriving in Suvarnabhumi and having to catch a connecting domestic flight or no-frills flight from Don Muang. How long will that connection take including baggage collection, travel from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang and then check-in for the next flight? If an airport wants to be a hub, it is important to keep the connection time low.''

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/13Jan2007_biz43.php

They are the same...

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) said yesterday that a decision by Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) to shift some commercial flights back to Don Muang would dampen Bangkok's potential for becoming an aviation hub. Making flight connections between two airports would be a huge inconvenience for passengers, and might further damage the attractiveness of Thailand as a tourist destination, the world's largest airline trade group said.

Responding to a query from the Bangkok Post, Albert Tjoeng, the IATA spokesman for Asia-Pacific, said: ''Imagine a passenger arriving in Suvarnabhumi and having to catch a connecting domestic flight or no-frills flight from Don Muang. How long will that connection take including baggage collection, travel from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang and then check-in for the next flight? If an airport wants to be a hub, it is important to keep the connection time low.''

Continued here:

Nation this morning

"All TG domestic flights other than ChiangMai, Khon Kaen and Phuket will be moved to Don Muang"

If capital is so tight, what exactly is the central bank planning to do with that mountain of USD that it has accumulated at huge loss to the country?

This is a tragedy of planning. Someone once asked me a crazy but practical notion, why couldn't a country with stupid governments, pay a foreign government to send people to run it?

This is a tragedy of planning. Someone once asked me a crazy but practical notion, why couldn't a country with stupid governments, pay a foreign government to send people to run it?

That would be called colonization and has been somewhat out of fashion since about 1938 when the germans got a bit carried away.

They are the same...

Continued here:

Nation this morning

"All TG domestic flights other than ChiangMai, Khon Kaen and Phuket will be moved to Don Muang"

If capital is so tight, what exactly is the central bank planning to do with that mountain of USD that it has accumulated at huge loss to the country?

I completely agree with you somtaamgaiyang and there is only one other thing sillier than Suvarnabhumi

and that is all the people on this forum who are trying to justify reasons why Bangkok should have

two airports when cities with far larger populations such as Shanghai, Beijing, Mumbai etc

are coping perfectly well with one - Thailand does not have money to burn !

Shanghai, Beijing, Mumbai all have virtually no general aviation activities. As a big fan and participant of general aviation, I support keeping the fine facility of Don Muang open. Do they really want small planes landing at the new airport?

Many cities have more than one airport. I think it's a great idea to put domestic flights back in the old airport. Someone finally made a good decision.

Think about this carefully before answering - Can Bangkok really afford and fully justify two airports ? not "many cities" - Bangkok !

Many cities have more than one airport. I think it's a great idea to put domestic flights back in the old airport. Someone finally made a good decision.

Think about this carefully before answering - Can Bangkok really afford and fully justify two airports ? not "many cities" - Bangkok !

It will certainly be cheaper than expanding the new airport. No international check in problems. No immigration and every domestic carrier can have a gate instead of a bus ride to the terminal. Best of all it's ALREADY there.

That would be called colonization and has been somewhat out of fashion since about 1938 when the germans got a bit carried away.

Actually this is done by many governments, but you need to smart to do that not stupid.

The Singapore govenment have a lot of foreign consultants, think they even used some Nobel prize winners to help them make the right decitions.

Looks like they have back tracked due to a verbal from ITAL

" bollocking / lecture “ and also from other noted officials.

From todays B.Post ( Article 1 )

Quote:-

Minister brakes Don Muang plans

(BangkokPost.com, TNA)

Transport Minister Thira Haocharoen put the brakes on a proposal to move some flights back to Don Muang from the new Suvarnabhumi Airport, and said much more talking lay ahead before such a scheme could happen.

There will be, for example, "another workshop to brainstorm a conclusion on the matter late this month or early next month," he said.

The board of Airports of Thailand Plc on Thursday approved the use of Don Muang for domestic flights and set March 15 as the possible date for the relaunch of the old airport.

Adm Thira scoffed. He said the resolution by the AoT board had no authority, and any such plan would have to be submitted for Cabinet approval.

Decision-makers needed to heed the opinions of all parties concerned in the private and public sectors again. The workshop would lead to resolution of the issue.

"The move of domestic flights to the Don Muang Airport will have wide-ranging repercussions. So, it needs to be studied in detail with caution," said the minister.

Unquote.

Go to the url for the full article please:-

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories.php?id=115977

( Article 2 )

Quote:-

BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA & CHATRUDEE THEPARAT

Unquote.

Go to the url for the full article please:-

Thank #### for that and lets hope that,s the last of it due to ongoing connections being relative to passengers at ONE airport.

Either one will do, so long as I, for one can get off from Udon and get on for Europe in the same location and v. versa..

My local travel agent whose ex TRT said the Thai official who started it all off was politically linked to you know who ?????? and it had a chaos scenario in mind to cause further undermining of the present governments authority.

She has already sent a letter of complaint off along with other agents in Udon in reaction to yesterday.

Incidently they all reckon the majority ofpassengers going from Udon to Bangkok are contrary to what was said " connecting to other flights. and should be listed with Chang Mai, Khon Kaen and Phuket to stay at the new airport.

marshbags :jap

Apologies if these articles are posted elsewhere not connected to the O.P. and I cannot locate them.

My connection is playing up as well so I,m limited to access as is normal these days to add to the minor hiccups.

Edited by marshbags

Narita and Haneda comes to mind.... need to make some domestic connections, hop on a coach and go across town to Haneda from Narita. :o

Just because everyone else does it does not mean that it is the best result. The vast majority of passengers into Thailand and Singapore come from the West in their millions of both tourists and european tourists, Japan gets some transit passengers and a relatively fewer businessmesn from the US.

If Thailands desire is to become a HUB, not just a hotch potch of airports, they need to build a value/domestic terminal at Suv'mi now. The one in Singapore is fine, it can't have been that expensive I have been thru it. Bussing people across BANGKOK, and I live there is not a practical long term solution. Last time I looked at the road outside it was nose to tail all day.

If they don't want to get business away from Singapore (today the most efficient airport in Asia), so be it, make a mess of the situation and reopen Don Muang.

What annoys me the most is that this was utterly predictable 10 years ago! and no one lifted a finger to solve it.

Narita and Haneda comes to mind.... need to make some domestic connections, hop on a coach and go across town to Haneda from Narita. :o

Japanese transport is built on efficiency and planning. Thailand's is built on taxi mafias, ad-hoc planning, and half-assed measures. Even with an efficient transport model it's a pain to transfer airports. Also, what other city closes, then re-opens an airport within a year?

Taking the resources that would go into DM and using them to fix problems at the new airport would be a better solution.

Am I the only one thinking that influential people in the Taxi industry and others that have real estate, and hotel assets close to the old airport have a dark hand in this decision?

Edited by cdnvic

Since some politicians are dead set against using the old airport, I am even more convinced that it would be a smart thing to do.

As far as myself traveling, after a LONG flight there is NO way I'd wait for another flight or even a bus to go to another city. I'm headed for a hotel for a night or two before traveling on.

Narita and Haneda comes to mind.... need to make some domestic connections, hop on a coach and go across town to Haneda from Narita. :D

Just because everyone else does it does not mean that it is the best result. The vast majority of passengers into Thailand and Singapore come from the West in their millions of both tourists and european tourists, Japan gets some transit passengers and a relatively fewer businessmesn from the US.

If Thailands desire is to become a HUB, not just a hotch potch of airports, they need to build a value/domestic terminal at Suv'mi now. The one in Singapore is fine, it can't have been that expensive I have been thru it. Bussing people across BANGKOK, and I live there is not a practical long term solution. Last time I looked at the road outside it was nose to tail all day.

If they don't want to get business away from Singapore (today the most efficient airport in Asia), so be it, make a mess of the situation and reopen Don Muang.

What annoys me the most is that this was utterly predictable 10 years ago! and no one lifted a finger to solve it.

Spot on !! Singapore airport has been the best airport in this region for as long as I can remember.

Even during the 80's when I traveled the kangaroos route regularly between Sydney and Heathrow.

I was such a delight to disembark at Singapore whereas even then Don Muang never really impressed me

and definitely wasn't in the same league. All these years later IN THEORY the new Bangkok airport

should've been even bigger and better than Singapore - but here we are talking about re-opening

a grotty and shody old facility - I bet the Singaporeans are having a good old laugh ! :o

I recently returned from an Xmas trip to the Land Without Smiles (USA) and found the new airport perfectly adequate going both ways. However, I would love to see Don Muang kept open as well for a smattering of domestic flights and perhaps a hodgepodge of cheapo international hops. But the main reason I'd like Don Muang to remain active is that some of the happiest moments of my adult life happened there. There was nothing like the emotion of returning to Thailand thru Don Muang and the humidity hitting me and the taxi ride into Bangkok. It's a sacred place to me unlike any other airport!

But the main reason I'd like Don Muang to remain active is that some of the happiest moments of my adult life happened there. There was nothing like the emotion of returning to Thailand thru Don Muang and the humidity hitting me and the taxi ride into Bangkok. It's a sacred place to me unlike any other airport!

Oh crikey mate ! then we will definitely make sure it's reopened especially for you so you can continue to have your

sacred moments :o:D:D