A million baht dowry and a hundred foreign guests as gay British tour boss ties the knot with Thai man

webfact

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few comments about the 1 million baht dowry and the 400,000 baht gold.

It may just be for public consumption and the money returned back after; due to this never ending ' face ' nonsense of the Thai culture.

However, how many on here whilst pointing out the stupidity of the amount, have entered into relationships and spent considerably more than the above sum on their Thai partners, (gay or straight), in the form of houses, pick ups, motorbikes etc.??

I know I have.

What their sexual habits with each other are interests me about as much as watching paint dry!

A lot of gays are well known to be extroverts and relish the pomp and ceremony and if it's not hurting anybody, why not?

5 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Good they got married and best of luck to them. Why they needed the media attention is beyond my understanding.

However, Would be interesting to hear if the Thai guys parents paid the dowry money back to the farang after the marriage. That tells a lot about what kind of marriage it is and if the farang is stupid or not.

The mother in the pic looks quite sad, so maybe she realised the money is not for her keeping.

Or she's sad because she's lost her boy. Or because it was only the night before that he came sobbing to her room to confess that Mummy Mummy I think I'm gay!

8 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

A few comments about the 1 million baht dowry and the 400,000 baht gold.

It may just be for public consumption and the money returned after due to the ' face ' nonsense of the Thai culture.

However, how many on here whilst pointing out the stupidity of the amount have entered into relationships and spent considerably more than the above sum on their Thai partners, gay or straight, in the form of houses, pick ups, motorbikes etc.??

I know I have.

What their sexual habits with each other are interests me about as much as watching paint dry!

Agree, the whole media show off dowry thing is just plain stupid. I would feel like an idiot, if I was the farang. 

And yes, the amount is peanuts compared to what others have put into their marriages here. (also myself included). I however was never required to pay a dowry, when I got married. Had I been demanded that, I would have not have been married.

Not all Thai-people are so focused on money that they need to show it off to all their surroundings. 

In my opinion, oh sorry not allowed, might be mocked for being homophobic. Oh well only one option to reply.

Well done, congratulations to the happy couple. Nothing to see here. Happens everyday, why the big fuss, why is it a big news item? Can't understand? Maybe its a thread to catch out homophobic people. Whilst Islamaphobia is rife on other threads.

You all talk about freedom of speech but you can't express your opinion on this topic.

9 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Agree, the whole media show off dowry thing is just plain stupid. I would feel like an idiot, if I was the farang. 

And yes, the amount is peanuts compared to what others have put into their marriages here. (also myself included). I however was never required to pay a dowry, when I got married. Had I been demanded that, I would have not have been married.

From a personal standpoint, I am totally on your side on this. I wouldn't do it, and it has no appeal.

I would, as you say, feel an idiot, especially the nonsense about kneeling down and being photographed grovelling, which I find OTT and slightly stomach turning.

The only person I would show that kind of devotion to, would be my mother if she was ill or on her deathbed, who I believe after all these years of self sacrifice and love, deserves it. I also would not need nor require a photographer whilst doing it.

As they say, it takes all sorts to make a world.

1 minute ago, Wilsonandson said:

In my opinion, oh sorry not allowed, might be mocked for being homophobic. Oh well only one option to reply.

Well done, congratulations to the happy couple. Nothing to see here. Happens everyday, why the big fuss, why is it a big news item? Can't understand? Maybe its a thread to catch out homophobic people. Whilst Islamaphobia is rife on other threads.

You all talk about freedom of speech but you can't express your opinion on this topic.

You kind of just did.:saai:

16 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

That bad eh? Shall we send you a bucket? Have you thought about avoiding such topics / leaving such threads when the topic comes up? You do understand that other people feel quite differently about it and that this won't change as it affects them directly at the core of their being (because it's a part of who they are or their kids/a close relative or friend), while that's probably not the case with you.

I laugh about your 'revenge comment' "Thailand will never..." as that is despite the point here and official recognition isn't needed on the personal level at all.

Anyway, good luck to the happy couple, may you live happily ever after (and not encounter too many misguided homo phobes).

3 minutes ago, mrdome said:

That bad eh? Shall we send you a bucket? (and not encounter too many misguided homo phobes).

My reply was deemed homophobic and removed from the forum. You need not search out your email and post out of context quotes of something removed. I accept moderators decisions and move on with my life. You might consider doing the same rather than lash out at others. Up to you. 

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

This really has got to be the most ill-informed comment I have ever read on this forum. Bar none!

It certainly has a lot of serious competition for the title of "Most Ill-informed".  Maybe it has a better shot in the next category "The Most Ill-intentioned"

Let me laugh, Bruce. You needed to be told that your post went a bit too far? Seriously? First, you stir up the pot, then you demand others let it go. I wasn't lashing out at you - you got what you deserved with a bit of humor.

May realize one day how hurtful and unnecessary your comment was.

20 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Why sin sod? It's an outdated concept but meant for the family of the female bride ... not for males? I'm a bit cynical about the type of unions ... let's hope this one is genuine?

The million Baht was given to the Thai man because he is going to play the role of a wife/woman in the relation, while the British guy will be the husband.

1 minute ago, saakura said:

The million Baht was given to the Thai man because he is going to play the role of a wife/woman in the relation, while the British guy will play the husband.

I thought the million bhat and the gold went to the parents?    Maybe I missed something.

18 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Why sin sod? It's an outdated concept but meant for the family of the female bride ... not for males? I'm a bit cynical about the type of unions ... let's hope this one is genuine?

I guess they are doing it, because it is a traditional Thai-wedding. (which btw is not a real wedding) Since it is tradition, I think it okay as a "symbolic" thing and if the dowry is paid back to the couple after the marriage. This is also what I have experienced at most weddings here.

The article does not mention this, but if the farang and his "wife" does not get the money returned, then the farang takes todays prize as the biggest idiot around. (Today that is)

Couldn't find "Chris Travel", but did find "Lee's Travel" in London.

BTW, who on Earth uses a travel agency anymore?  I guess people too lazy to use Google.

Anyway, the dowrey was paid for by those lazy chumps.  Or perhaps an inheritance???  Makes no sense to me, but then again I'm not "Hi-So" and am completely capable of using Google and booking my own travel on airline websites.  DOH.  ?

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

yes it is, but they are not legally married in the eyes of Thailand or the UK.

They can go to the British Embassy in either Hanoi or Phnom Penh and get married. No  problem  and yes it is legally recognised in the UK. I married my male Thai partner at my embassy in Hanoi in November last year as have several other British citizens and their Thai male partners. So interesting to read the cheap jokes and underlying homophobic comments from the  usual suspects on tv. 

2 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

They can go to the British Embassy in either Hanoi or Phnom Penh and get married. No  problem  and yes it is legally recognised in the UK. I married my male Thai partner at my embassy in Hanoi in November last year as have several other British citizens and their Thai male partners. So interesting to read the cheap jokes and underlying homophobic comments from the  usual suspects on tv. 

Why then can they not go to the British Embassy on Wireless Road in Bangkok and get married?

Its just a load of show boating

Many people marry Bar Girls and buy them a 3-10 million baht houses

and pay dowry  ( stupid ).

So why the big fan fair for these two gay boys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should not even be in the news.

Move along next boat is coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:coffee1:

5 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Its just a bunch of show boating

Many people marry Bar Girls and buy them a 3-10 million baht house

and pay dowry  ( stupid ).

So why the big fan fair for these two gay boys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should not even be in the news.

Move along next booat is coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:coffee1:

People with "real money". Don't make a big show over 1.4M Baht

Archived