A million baht dowry and a hundred foreign guests as gay British tour boss ties the knot with Thai man

webfact

16 minutes ago, saakura said:

Why then can they not go to the British Embassy on Wireless Road in Bangkok and get married?

Because Thailand does not recognize gay marriage. The land of the ladyboy!! and katoeys in almost every walk of life.

I know your argument that the British Embassy is not supposed to be considered as Thailand but that is the way it goes.

It is interesting though, that it is legal in Vietnam.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, saakura said:

Yes, sorry. The million Baht was given to the parents of the guy who is going to be the wife.

He announced with complete confidence ...

I notice that commenting on other people's private lives brings out the same syndrome we have seen recently in British & Usofan voters: Absence of information does not prevent people holding strong opinions.

8 hours ago, steve187 said:

just a mock up not a legal marriage, try getting him to the UK on a settlement visa.

Barring criminal record, I am sure the bushing broom can get to the UK for a visit with just money in the bank--the sin sot would be more than enough.

1 hour ago, aslimversgwm said:

They can go to the British Embassy in either Hanoi or Phnom Penh and get married. No  problem  and yes it is legally recognised in the UK. I married my male Thai partner at my embassy in Hanoi in November last year as have several other British citizens and their Thai male partners. So interesting to read the cheap jokes and underlying homophobic comments from the  usual suspects on tv. 

I hope your husband know you are living with your Thai boyfriend in CM, as per your signature. 

54 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

They could try.

The previous UK Ambassador to Thailand married his husband at the Embassy in Bangkok but I have a feeling this was a special case!

No he didn't,  the current British ambassador was already married to his American husband before he was ever posted to Thailand. 

1 minute ago, zzidenn said:

gay couples are usually quite wealthy because there's two guys who work and bring a salary home. And there's a lot of rich thai gay dudes outthere.... everyone is so judgemental it's sad

Yes, the whole dowry bit seems to get people quite overwrought. For what reason is entirely unclear to me. Perhaps they just feel they themselves missed out somewhere down the track.

1 hour ago, wvavin said:

Kind of creepy to me.

Yes, and  understandably, you probably find katoeys and Toms creepy as well. However these people, along with millions of attractive women (and men) make up the rich tapestry that makes Thailand so interesting. 

Not recognized. Just an expensive ceremony, an insult to Thai culture, and attention-whoring.

I understand that some people might genuinely be attracted to each other... but if I would decide to throw away all my legacy and insult my ancestors by marrying a man instead of procreating and continuing the bloodline, my parents would at least want me to keep it low-profile, not publicly advertise my perversion.

Granted, there's adoption, but it's downright child abuse.

Anyway I wish them the best, but what they did was totally unnecessary. They're on the wrong end of the "Family vs Equality" spectrum.

Not recognized. Just an expensive ceremony, an insult to Thai culture, and attention-whoring.

I understand that some people might genuinely be attracted to each other... but if I would decide to throw away all my legacy and insult my ancestors by marrying a man instead of procreating and continuing the bloodline, my parents would at least want me to keep it low-profile, not publicly advertise my perversion.
Granted, there's adoption, but it's downright child abuse.

Anyway I wish them the best, but what they did was totally unnecessary. They're on the wrong end of the "Family vs Equality" spectrum.

Just imagine what you would have written if you were wishing them the worst.

7 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

This is easy as usually one is a giver and the other is a taker. In this case I would say the old farang is the giver and the younger Thai man is the taker.

I was wondering which one bites the pillow too.

^ I wish no harm to anyone, but I'm not a politically correct guy. Which means, if I meet them, I'll treat them like any other human being, but I am expressing my view on the effects of this on society in general.

You're definitely not politically correct or really any kind of correct actually.

I knew a guy from the UK about 8 years ago that threw a shindig like this in Pattaya. People flew in from the UK, Obscene amounts of money this guy spent. Millions of Baht.

Gold + money for the dowery.  

Amazing. 

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why?

Because that must be the most degrading and filthy thing that can happen to a man. Along with the outrush of faeces upon withdrawal. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Seems a disgusting activity to me, but these days, it is not illegal to be a deviate. So I am very tolerant and understanding. Live in peace.

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Neither is a similar ceremony between a straight couple a legal marriage. So, what's your point?

I agree and when I got married in Thailand I went through my Embassy, a translator to translate the documents in Thai and English then to the Legal Office, back to me where I went to the Amphur for the final documents.  They gave me a marriage certificate in English and one in Thai for my wife.  As you said Thai marriage is not recognized.   

8 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

I agree and when I got married in Thailand I went through my Embassy, a translator to translate the documents in Thai and English then to the Legal Office, back to me where I went to the Amphur for the final documents.  They gave me a marriage certificate in English and one in Thai for my wife.  As you said Thai marriage is not recognized.   

Yes, that's fine Gerard, my wife and I went thought the same procedure as have many others. But we're discussing a gay relationship here and that cannot be legalized  in Thailand. At least not yet, but I did read a while ago that the law was under review.

Because that must be the most degrading and filthy thing that can happen to a man. Along with the outrush of faeces upon withdrawal. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Seems a disgusting activity to me, but these days, it is not illegal to be a deviate. So I am very tolerant and understanding. Live in peace.

So very tolerant. Uh huh.

Archived