A million baht dowry and a hundred foreign guests as gay British tour boss ties the knot with Thai man

webfact

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SiamBeast said:

Because every kid needs education from both parents - let's not get into the subject, you know what I mean.

I note the edit and I think it was warranted. How do I know what you mean? Yes it's kind of a frightening though IMO but like most things new to the world it will be seized upon by people like you, and me to a degree. Point is its a new phenomenon so it cannot be judged yet and 2 heads are better than 1 and you said that before you edited the post.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, that's fine Gerard, my wife and I went thought the same procedure as have many others. But we're discussing a gay relationship here and that cannot be legalized  in Thailand. At least not yet, but I did read a while ago that the law was under review.

I meant any type of Thai marriages either gay marriage, Thai Lady with Thai man or farang with Thai lady marriage is not recognize anywhere if it's only done with a Thai ceremony as they don't issue any papers.  That's what I heard but I could be wrong, if you know more about it please light me up.

Just now, Gerard052 said:

I meant any type of Thai marriages either gay marriage, Thai Lady with Thai man or farang with Thai lady marriage is not recognize anywhere if it's only done with a Thai ceremony as they don't issue any papers.  That's what I heard but I could be wrong, if you know more about it please light me up.

The ceremony is an important step should they decide to get married in the UK for example. It is concrete proof of a relationship and this is demanded by any embassy in the world should they ever want to marry and immigrate.

So while the ceremony itself may not be legal this is a very powerful tool for later legal maneuvers. On a deeper level it is a celebration of their love and that's all it needs to be.

What is irking many people here is the fact the farang in the article can simply give a million Baht away. Many of the posts are made out of jealousy from people that can't scrape up 800K in a bank account or could only justify such an amount because it would be towards their primary residence. 

Homophobia and jealousy don't bring out the best in people when you put the two together.

11 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

That's not accurate. I just got married to my partner in the USA and sure you can get married there. That being said I do not have legal rights in Thailand especially in regards to a visa based upon marriage.  

I had to get the TE visa because of that so I guess anything is possible if you have money is kind of true. However it is still discrimination. 

Many straight marriages are bigger circuses and don't get the negative comments this one gets.

Yes it is accurate, as in the Thai husband has death rights  as in a the lawful husband , sorry I should have said that the people in question are Americans married to Thai men.

To be legal is the crux here, Thailand does not recognize marriages to the same sex but America does in some states. This is more about acceptance. That a million baht was paid is interesting and that the Thai family accepted the deal, anyway, all the best to them.

Just now, Minnie the Minx said:

Yes it is accurate, as in the Thai husband has death rights  as in a the lawful husband , sorry I should have said that the people in question are Americans married to Thai men.

To be legal is the crux here, Thailand does not recognize marriages to the same sex but America does in some states. This is more about acceptance. That a million baht was paid is interesting and that the Thai family accepted the deal, anyway, all the best to them.

It is true gay marriages are only allowed in certain states. However they are recognized by the federal government. This is a very important distinction. 

In my village the straight couples often don't register their marriage as 'official' because they say it just makes things more difficult when the marriage comes to an end.

Someone earlier said that 'traditional' Thai marriages are not 'real' marriages. What they should have said is that they're not 'official' or 'officially registered'. Everyone in the relevant families and villages certainly recognizes & accepts such marriages, straight or gay. They don't care about the government's view of things - a bunch of stuckup nobodies of no importance to me, is their attitude. What did they ever do for us?

Marriage is a social institution whereby 2 people make public declaration of their love & of their wish to live together for the rest of their lives. The ceremony - however designated - is a recognition by society (families & village, town etc) of their new status. Official registration of marriage is a modern bureaucratic instance of the increasing control that governments try to assert over all citizens.

David Cameron, when UK PM, and a few months before him, a Liberal Party (ie conservative) Australian Senator, Amanda Vanstone, said in almost identical words: "All conservatives should be in favour of gay marriage. Marriage is an institution that helps 2 adults to stand on their own feet together and not depend on government assistance."

6 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

The ceremony is an important step should they decide to get married in the UK for example. It is concrete proof of a relationship and this is demanded by any embassy in the world should they ever want to marry and immigrate.

So while the ceremony itself may not be legal this is a very powerful tool for later legal maneuvers. On a deeper level it is a celebration of their love and that's all it needs to be.

What is irking many people here is the fact the farang in the article can simply give a million Baht away. Many of the posts are made out of jealousy from people that can't scrape up 800K in a bank account or could only justify such an amount because it would be towards their primary residence. 

Homophobia and jealousy don't bring out the best in people when you put the two together.

Seriously? I'm not homophobic or jealous in the least lol. 

A million baht is chickenfeed to some, only the vulgar show off wealth, how this is coming across is he 'bought'. The family won the lottery so this is demeaning to this couple imo.

Embassy does not care about some over the top ceremony, letters, statements from family members etc are sufficient to establish a relationship.

9 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Nice story, but the 1 mill dowry makes me feel uneasy.  Was it handed back after the wedding?  Good luck to them, the world needs more gays.

NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU????? hELLS BELLS---- HOW MANY DO YOU WANT !!!!!

4 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

Seriously? I'm not homophobic or jealous in the least lol. 

A million baht is chickenfeed to some, only the vulgar show off wealth, how this is coming across is he 'bought'. The family won the lottery so this is demeaning to this couple imo.

Embassy does not care about some over the top ceremony, letters, statements from family members etc are sufficient to establish a relationship.

I wasn't saying you are homophobic, sorry if you took it that way. I was replying to many of the nasty homophobic comments of others. 

If you do not think pictures of this ceremony would be included in any filing with an embassy when asked about their relationship you need your head examined. 

I am pretty sure that under legal definition they are now eachother's fiance. This is important should you want a fiance visa. They have formalized that part and it is a step towards marriage. It can't be helped that Thailand is backwards and denies human rights to it's citizens. The UK government will take that into consideration.

Well no, China will never do that obviously.

Great couple of gay friends here went to San Francisco to get married for legal reasons. Lovely poster somewhere else did the same, no need to have this circus imo. If you have the money anything is doable.

I wish the happy couple all the very best.

Never say never. Not so many years ago most Americans thought never there either.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/04/13/chinas-fight-for-same-sex-marriage-is-just-beginning/

If these guys are happy then all the best to them. 

Please don't be rude and tell me to have my head examined. Brit friends working in the Brit embassy had a laugh at this story, not because the people involved are gay but because a few holiday snaps and proof of contact of two years would suffice. Shared bills, accommodation. 

When they do eventually immigrate, if that is the plan, how would this young Thai guy feel? 'Hey aren't you that guy that was bought for a million baht?' Some do not understand the culture.

I'm told gay marriages are not legal in Thailand!

Can the dowery be a scam knowing full well that the marriage is not legal.

That would never happen in Thailand!  Grin, LOL

I'm confident will be reading more about the story real soon!

1 minute ago, Minnie the Minx said:

If these guys are happy then all the best to them. 

Please don't be rude and tell me to have my head examined. Brit friends working in the Brit embassy had a laugh at this story, not because the people involved are gay but because a few holiday snaps and proof of contact of two years would suffice. Shared bills, accommodation. 

When they do eventually immigrate, if that is the plan, how would this young Thai guy feel? 'Hey aren't you that guy that was bought for a million baht?' Some do not understand the culture.

Okay it is a meaningless ceremony with nothing that benefited either person. Sure you could get letters. Have fun getting them translated, this form of proof is so obvious. A picture says a thousand words. If you do not understand that a commitment ceremony is legit proof of a relationship I really do not know what to tell you.

9 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Nice story, but the 1 mill dowry makes me feel uneasy.  Was it handed back after the wedding?  Good luck to them, the world needs more gays.

I can think of a lot of things that the world needs but gays doesn't come to mind

Don't forget, back when Jerry Hall married Mick Jagger in another such 'illegal' ceremomy and when it came to divorce, ooooops it was not legal so he kept his millions.

This stuff is just an embarrassing show. 

The 'groom' could have silently slipped the 'family' a million without making his poor husband the centrepiece of ridicule imo. Embassy does not require it, see above.

1 minute ago, Minnie the Minx said:

Don't forget, back when Jerry Hall married Mick Jagger in another such 'illegal' ceremomy and when it came to divorce, ooooops it was not legal so he kept his millions.

This stuff is just an embarrassing show. 

So you are saying that it should have been allowed to be a legally recognized marriage right?

41 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Is this News?Who cares.

5/6 pages in and you ask such a silly question? 

This thread is a breath of fresh air to some of the crap I been reading on TV. Painful loss of sunglasses, best fan at tesco! Some real quagmire posts so to see this bit of happiness and the photos is good to see. People are happy posters are posting so What Problem ..

8 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

what if they are on the dole?

I think the statistics & sociological studies probably suggest that a married couple is less likely to be dependent on government assistance than 2 individuals. And for fairly obvious reasons: Possibility that 1 of the partners has a job while the other does not so one can support the other; on average, greater social stability & responsibility etc.

I'm told gay marriages are not legal in Thailand!

Can the dowery be a scam knowing full well that the marriage is not legal.

That would never happen in Thailand!  Grin, LOL

I'm confident will be reading more about the story real soon!

The dowry is part of the "religious"/village ceremony. It plays no part in the legal procedure. So, no scam, just a quaint Thai tradition.

15 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

5/6 pages in and you ask such a silly question? 

This thread is a breath of fresh air to some of the crap I been reading on TV. Painful loss of sunglasses, best fan at tesco! Some real quagmire posts so to see this bit of happiness and the photos is good to see. People are happy posters are posting so What Problem ..

Its just as lame as most other topics and opinions here.

All Thai marriages, even from opposite sex, are not recognized as long as the couple didn't go through the process of sitting at the local Amphur district and getting an official certificate issued. The ceremony and the registration are 2 totally different parts.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The dowry is part of the "religious"/village ceremony. It plays no part in the legal procedure. So, no scam, just a quaint Thai tradition.

Its 2 males so explain me why the farang needs to put his one million on the table?

2 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Not recognized. Just an expensive ceremony, an insult to Thai culture, and attention-whoring.

I understand that some people might genuinely be attracted to each other... but if I would decide to throw away all my legacy and insult my ancestors by marrying a man instead of procreating and continuing the bloodline, my parents would at least want me to keep it low-profile, not publicly advertise my perversion.

Granted, there's adoption, but it's downright child abuse.

Anyway I wish them the best, but what they did was totally unnecessary. They're on the wrong end of the "Family vs Equality" spectrum.

Is continuing your' bloodline' really such a good idea?  Most would think not, on the 'strength' of your post.

Archived