'Highest' sand pagoda built in Chiang Mai for Songkran

webfact

'Highest' sand pagoda built in Chiang Mai for Songkran
By The Nation

CHIANG MAI: -- A temple has built what it claims is the highest sand pagoda to celebrate Songkran’s northern style.

The sand pagoda, which has a base that is 10 metres wide and 10 metres long and is 15 metres high, is located in Jedlin Temple in Muang Chiang Mai district.

It was built with the cooperation of novice monks and local residents.

The pagoda is a five-layered square shape, with the sand used to create it donated by local residents.

The pagoda is decorated with 12 colourful flags representing the 12 astrological signs.

The temple will hold a rite to put an umbrella on top of the pagoda at 5pm on Monday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30311875

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-10

1 hour ago, wirat69 said:

1500 cu metres of sand is a lot of truckloads for a dirt pile!!!

About 125 standard dump trucks, but who knows what they used for this one. Anyhow one pile of dirt looks like another, unless you stick some flags on it.

I actually like Wat Jet Lin, an interesting temple in the southwest quadrant of the old city; however, I am a bit puzzled why this particular pile of sand supposedly represents a pagoda/stupa/chedi.  Doesn't look like any of the hundreds I've seen before.  (Photo is from the newspaper article)

bcfb395e8024610c4716e30f9ad2ad2c.jpeg

On 4/10/2017 at 1:13 PM, webfact said:

The sand pagoda, which has a base that is 10 metres wide and 10 metres long and is 15 metres high, is located in Jedlin Temple in Muang Chiang Mai district.

here ya go .... pic taken last night :)

dave2

wat jedlin sand pile 10 apr 17 20170410_195838~01.jpg

Archived