Motorbike accident deaths: Thailand number one in the world

webfact

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

So the same motorcycles, with the same current speed capabilities do not run up the massive death toll in other countries. But in Thailand limiting the speed of the bike is the solution.  I don't think so. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

It was stated that bike manufacturers were often obliged to install safety features for the export market that were not insisted upon for sales locally.

In my origin country you are allowed to drive a 50cc 'motorbike' with speed capped at 40 km/h from the age of 14. You can start with a licence for 125cc and higher at the age of 18, with a rather strict licensing process.

Compare that to here where 12 year olds may be driving at a speed of 100 km/h or above!

Of course the harsh rules in the west only work because they are strictly enforced, otherwise the speeds driven would be similar to Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

They both actually had full insurance, so after they had trashed it out, my friends's insurance agreed to pay for all the damages.
All my friend had to pay was the 500 baht police fine.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'd consider complaining to the underwriters; even if only to reinforce their position re 'customer' and 'service provider'.

3 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I would be very interested to see if there was a statistic available, as to what percentage of motor bike deaths in Thailand, was attributable to the person NOT wearing a helmet.

I suspect it would be easier to provide stats for any that were! :sad:

30 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

A friend of mine recently knocked a motorcyclist off their bike. This was the all to common classic undertakeing manoeuvre at speed of a vehicle turning left off the highway. Luckily the guy wasn't seriously hurt. But what was interesting was that the police told him that a motorcyclist has every right to undertake a car turning left even if the vehicle is halfway through the manoeuvre! 

Mind boggling..........

Maybe the Motorcyclist produced the brown envelope first!

9 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I would be very interested to see if there was a statistic available, as to what percentage of motor bike deaths in Thailand, was attributable to the person NOT wearing a helmet.

It's been said many times that most of these deaths occur in the rural areas.

So, go out into the country in or near a village and observe for one hour how many M/C riders are wearing helmets.

I think you will have your answer.

1 hour ago, ajarngreg said:

The experts have now called on manufacturers of bikes in Thailand to use available technology to limit speeds to 90 kilometers per hour.

Just falling on your head from a bicycle can kill you. Nothing makes any sense if people do not wear good helmets. Not the plastic crap ones. 

The educational system is also at fault. Watch three kids driving to school on one bike and neither cops nor teachers do anything? 

Would such a speed limit prevent accidents? I doubt it. 

Maybe a little?

But the mental state kills most.

So, they rely on the manufacturers to use technology ....... then the people who want to speed remove the technology and we're back to square one.

Yes, the responsibility lies with the riders but the ultimate responsibility to enforce the law for the safety of OTHER people on the roads is with the police.

And that is where everything falls down time after time.

If someone wants to drive fast and kill themselves then fine, let them but don;t let them ruin other innocent lives.

53 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Not downplaying the horrendous motorcycle death toll in Thailand in any way but these 'experts' need to review their findings regarding which country is No.1

Even going back to 2011/2012 the figures for India show deaths at approx. 33k with 23.2%(2012) of 142k(2011) fatalities being 'two-wheeler' related.

http://www.jotr.in/temp/JOrthopTraumatolRehabil611-726248_020102.pdf

Makes a good headline, but seems to be lacking in the facts department.

I guess they are judging by per capita.

India 25 deaths per million 

Thailand 84 deaths per million

A pretty damning comparison !

16 minutes ago, twizzian said:

Can you imagine For example; Kawasaki dealers trying to sell a ZX-10r with a 90 km speed limiter fitted. :cheesy:

It should be quite a bit cheaper though, as it will only need first and second gear!

Of course, blame the motorbikes ability to drive over 90 km/h.

This has nothing to do with:

1. Terrible NON-existing law-enforcement.

2. Terrible driving schools giving licenses to people who can not drive at all.

and the list goes on...

I have been driving big motorbikes around South East Asia for the past 12 years. Never had an accident, but it has been close many times. Why? Because IDIOTS with no driving skills at all are put on the road after basically no training at all and there are no police anywhere to ensure people drive properly.

This will never stop in Thailand. Simply because the real root of the problem will never be challenged. (will cause "losing face")

"MOTORBIKES HAVE ACCIDENTS WITH CARS", rarely with each other, and rarely in isolation. No mention of the cars that run into, force off the road, cause the accidents with motorbikes. Cars hit bikes, turn in front of them, change lanes into them, etc.

Take action against all the pickups and benz's, accidents would be halved.

Just now, Peterw42 said:

"MOTORBIKES HAVE ACCIDENTS WITH CARS", rarely with each other, and rarely in isolation. No mention of the cars that run into, force off the road, cause the accidents with motorbikes. Cars hit bikes, turn in front of them, change lanes into them, etc.

Take action against all the pickups and benz's, accidents would be halved.

Agree, and one huge problem is how easy it is to get a drivers licence in Thailand. NOONE who gets a license here have learnt anything at all.

3 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Agree, and one huge problem is how easy it is to get a drivers licence in Thailand. NOONE who gets a license here have learnt anything at all.

Yes, 90% of motorbike accidents are a result of being hit by a poorly driven or speeding car. And the solution is to speed limit the bikes, the mind boggles.

1 hour ago, SiamBeast said:

Charles Darwin explained this in a very long but simple therory about natural selection.

The problem isn't the enforcement, the speed, the booze, etc. the problem is just stupidity.

EXACTLY. 

I will NEVER understand the typical move: make a right hand turn from the wrong lane into the wrong lane? Now how's that for stupid?

i think its obvious to say at this point its easier to bully a few manufacturers than say:

1) ask thais to take responsibility for themselves or others

2) instruct the police to be proactive

i therefore expect more of the same half-ass "solutions" with the same non-results :sad:

1 hour ago, SiamBeast said:

Charles Darwin explained this in a very long but simple therory about natural selection.

The problem isn't the enforcement, the speed, the booze, etc. the problem is just stupidity.

Tell that to the family of the 2 young students killed by a truck yesterday in Phuket while waiting at the traffic lights... where's the natural selection in that?

1.So limiting the bike speeds to 90kph is going to stop a motorcyclist being T-Boned at an intersection.

2. The same speed limit will stop 3..4..5.. kids riding a motorcycle on the wrong side of the road without helmets from being killed.

3. The 90k speed limit will also stop the midnight groups of boy racer m/c's from slamming into unlit vehicles parked on the sides of roads....

4. It will also stop Thai Mum and Dad (Mum with 6 week old baby in her arms and Dad with a toddler sitting/standing on the footplate in front of Dad) from being killed or badly injured...wearing  no helmets..weaving and dodging through heavy traffic

Right...I got it......these experts have got it sussed for sure :coffee1:

Soon Thailand to be number 1 for car accidents in the world too.

Police do nothing except harass someone for not wearing a seat belt, driving a Vigo.  

These motorbikes drive all over the place, on sidewalks, which really pisses me off, against 1 way traffic, ride through red lights,

u name it. They get what they deserve.

Archived