Motorbike accident deaths: Thailand number one in the world

webfact

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A speed limiter is not the answer, but compulsory ABS on all new bikes sold in Thailand will help (plus better enforcement and training of course).

In UK all new bikes now need ABS.

But the (Made in Thailand) Honda CRF 250 Rally had ABS removed from it's spec before it was released here.  It's not even an option, but it's compulsory in other markets.  Is it even possible to buy a car without ABS these days?

They are so right...all big bikes mandatory limit to 90 km.all small bikes limit to 50 km mandatory..it will safe somany lives.Crush all bikes that have higher speeds.Than the minivans pick ups and trucks and touring busses limit till max 80km!i predict u can than prevent 50% of the casualties each year.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

India has 1.25 billion people. Thailand has 67 million.  On a per capita basis Thailand has three times the motorcycle deaths as India.

I take your point on the per capita issue.

However, what measurement is more appropriate when making comparisons?  Possibly the best measure would be on a distance travelled per person basis, but few countries compile such stats. Next might be per number of vehicles. Don't believe that stats by type of vehicle are easily available but, surprisingly, a look at figures related to deaths per vehicle has Thailand just inside the worst 100 countries. Worst by this measure is Guinea at a horrendous 9,462 per 100k vehicles, whereas Thailand is at 74.6 per100k vehicles. OK, type/size of vehicle will also come into the mix but that just shows that comparisons are not so easy.

You pays your money...................... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

59 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Of course, blame the motorbikes ability to drive over 90 km/h.

This has nothing to do with:

1. Terrible NON-existing law-enforcement.

2. Terrible driving schools giving licenses to people who can not drive at all.

No i don't agree ... ! :D

They don't give the license to anyone, you just can't fail the test, i mean even with 1 eye 1 leg and 1 arm i don't see how you could possibly fail.

I got my license in 1 day, basically all you have to do (except the vision test and the kind of psycho technical test) is to come with your own motorbike in front of the officer and drive in a circuit for like 2 minutes (max).

No mandatory supervised driving lessons, no nothing.

And the best is that you can do the test with your honda scoopy and drive a Hayabusa right afer.

Less developed countries have fewer cars and more bikes - and they are lower in the ranking.  Ban the cars and the motorcycle death rate will reduce, and so will pollution and congestion.  Nobody really needs to take up 15 sq m. of road space to get around a city.

How to have a motorcycle accident!!!

Did you ever get hit square in the face by an icy blast of water from a water cannon - the illegal weapon - during songkran while driving a motorcycle?  I almost lost control and crashed into a opposit way moving car because my head was snaped backwards. Thank god I had a face shield on my helmet, the blast didn't hit my eyes.  The person(s) that target motorcycle riders SHOULD get the maximum penalty, forget the "remorse" reduction in the penalty.

But the above is just a way of life here during songkran.

50 minutes ago, KIWIBATCH said:

1.So limiting the bike speeds to 90kph is going to stop a motorcyclist being T-Boned at an intersection.

2. The same speed limit will stop 3..4..5.. kids riding a motorcycle on the wrong side of the road without helmets from being killed.

3. The 90k speed limit will also stop the midnight groups of boy racer m/c's from slamming into unlit vehicles parked on the sides of roads....

4. It will also stop Thai Mum and Dad (Mum with 6 week old baby in her arms and Dad with a toddler sitting/standing on the footplate in front of Dad) from being killed or badly injured...wearing  no helmets..weaving and dodging through heavy traffic

Right...I got it......these experts have got it sussed for sure :coffee1:

Big bikes 90 km

small bikes 50 km

He wants will make hell of a difference 

The reason is glaringly obvious, Thais have no common sense therefore they deliberately ignore the rules of the road.

Remedy:   Strict enforcement and very expensive deterrents. Of course first you have to have a police force.

I have no exact statistics, but I would say 90% of the motorbikes in thailand are 110-125cc scooters (Honda Click/MSX/Scoopy, Yamaha Fino/Nuovo, Suzuki Jelato/Splash, Vespa Sprint/Primavera etc.). When you look at their technical data ALL of them have a maximum speed of roundabout 90kph. Thats physically what you get with a 10HP engine (untuned, unchanged!). Only some liquid cooled engines of the 125cc-class (~15hp) can reach up to 105kph. So this official state controlled limit wouldn't change too much for all the bread-and-butter-bikes (or SomTam-and-KhaoNiauw). And I can't see them limiting Ducati-BigBikes to 90kph.

They said that the problem rests with the fact that speed sells but also that speed kills.

NO, speed does not kill. It's the sudden stop against solid objects which kills.

The added fact that in 99.99% of the time, the rider and pillion passenger are NOT wearing helmets which contributes to the death toll.

Will these people ever learn? Very doubtful.

1 minute ago, jackinthebox said:

I have no exact statistics, but I would say 90% of the motorbikes in thailand are 110-125cc scooters (Honda Click/MSX/Scoopy, Yamaha Fino/Nuovo, Suzuki Jelato/Splash, Vespa Sprint/Primavera etc.). When you look at their technical data ALL of them have a maximum speed of roundabout 90kph. Thats physically what you get with a 10HP engine (untuned, unchanged!). Only some liquid cooled engines of the 125cc-class (~15hp) can reach up to 105kph. So this official state controlled limit wouldn't change too much for all the bread-and-butter-bikes (or SomTam-and-KhaoNiauw). And I can't see them limiting Ducati-BigBikes to 90kph.

Small bikes need limit 50 km..there no need for them to overtake anyone.

big bikes ducatis etc 90 km.

2 hours ago, akirasan said:

Speed kills?

Pulling out of an intersection onto a main road without looking or stopping kills

Riding with no lights at night kills

Riding the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic kills

Not wearing a helmet kills

Get all these sorted out first then start worrying about what speed people are doing...I've never seen such moronic behaviour anywhere in the world as I've experienced on the roads here. 

Not at all, having an accident can cause death. Wearing a helmet may help, often not.

1 hour ago, selftaopath said:

EXACTLY. 

I will NEVER understand the typical move: make a right hand turn from the wrong lane into the wrong lane? Now how's that for stupid?

However, everyone here does it like it is the most normal thing in the world. Cross over onto the wrong side of the road, then into the wrong lane for at least 30 meters before eventually ending up on the correct side of the road. I don't get it. Is it because the direct line saves gas?

Just seeing some of the dreadful 'plates of meat on the road' pics on facebook should put anyone off riding a motorbike here for life.

2 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Got in argument today with a thai how she says we walk in the street-

I do but i think the chinese are a bit more to blame---however i pointed

out i wouldnt have to if the sidewalks were in good order and werent

LOADED UP with cars--mbikes and vendors sellins sh*t--no response...:saai:

You could have added the low hanging signage, electrical wires and razor sharp edges,which most Thais would be unaffected by, but are at a lethal height for most Farang.

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Audible indicators & an immobilizer preventing bikes (or CARS!) being driven with less than it's full compliment of functioning bulbs would be a good start; as would...

neiko-neon-vest.jpg

You are joking? The dreaded high viz vest from the western world has no place here in Asia! 

I'm continuously amazed at how many motorcyclists will enter a main street from a side street without looking right. They somehow assume no traffic will be coming along the main street. Slammed on my truck brakes more than once because of this stupidity exhibited by idiot motorcyclists!

17 minutes ago, jackinthebox said:

Your figures are way adrift. Here's a picture of a 2010 Honda Wave 125 speedo which you will observe shows 4th gear going to 125kph.

I have a 25 year old unmodified C90 Cub which tops out at 90kph and, as you may imagine, there have been a few improvements since then.

Speed is not the problem though. In Vietnam, the majority of bikes are 125-180cc scooters. They are faster and stronger than the Thai versions and anyone who has been to Saigon or Hanoi will know that they don't hang about. However, they all wear helmets and their driving standard is way above that in Thailand. And the death rate is considerably lower than Thailand. Now, why do you think that is?

bikepics-1891288-full.jpg

I'm continuously amazed at how many motorcyclists will enter a main street from a side street without looking right. They somehow assume no traffic will be coming along the main street. Slammed on my truck brakes more than once because of this stupidity exhibited by idiot motorcyclists!

They think Buddha will save them, insure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

The experts have now called on manufacturers of bikes in Thailand to use available technology to limit speeds to 90 kilometers per hour.

Just falling on your head from a bicycle can kill you. Nothing makes any sense if people do not wear good helmets. Not the plastic crap ones. 

The educational system is also at fault. Watch three kids driving to school on one bike and neither cops nor teachers do anything? 

Would such a speed limit prevent accidents? I doubt it. 

A cheap helmet for a cheap head.

Having restricted speed limits may help mitigate the problems but it does not really address them adequately. You could fall off your pushbike at 10 km/h and hit your head against the concrete kerb and die! Wearing helmets can reduce the likely hood of serious injuries but rider/driver education along with STRICT enforcement of road rules PLUS tougher licence testing could also help. But, unfortunately, at the end of the day you cannot fix stupid. 

Speed does not kill but riding/driving too fast for the conditions, can kill. And that should be a road rule and enforced.

Sadly, after reading this article I just shake my head.  The problem is look in the mirror!  This type of thinking is insane but I know officials here don't know it because they don't know any other way of teaching how to actually drive. Every solution even if you declare Section 44, it isn't going to change.

This is the same type of thinking and excuse for why a few years ago a guy with his Porsche drove into a Soi at 120 KM/H, and cut a young girl in half. The police thinking and excuse as to why they don't do more with speeding is because cars are design today with better technology so it is O.K., when a bus has been modified over its height limit and unbalance blame the driver for taking the turn too fast. it goes on so with all the dump excuses.

The problem, the factory, the assembly line of death is allowing or making excuses to allow children to take motorbikes to school, with any regards to educating themselves with the laws of driving nor following the laws other who spend time to actually get a license. Then they are allow beyond school days and times to drive at all times without even a curfew. Wonder why there is a problem.  By the time they are required to obtain a license they already have learn all the bad habits that are killing them. The license now becomes just a time consuming obstacle that does not curtail those bad habits! 

The solution has always been at their finger tip and that is ENFORCE, NOTHING ELSE WORKS.  But the manner in which your Provinces are funded with money  doesn't provide for the needws enforcement.  Example, drivers are stop because they haven't got a helmet but  speeders with helmet are allow to just fly by untouched going 90 plus in 30 zone

Insanity!  You greatest resource of this country is dying. 

Archived