Motorbike accident deaths: Thailand number one in the world

webfact

Speed  kills. Many Thai drivers including motorbikes go from point a to point b in the fastest possible time. Getting close behind someone who is  doing the maximum speed allowed just so you can pressure the driver in front  to get out of  way is normal behavior for speeding drivers. I go on a road that is top speed of 80 but 90% go faster and sometimes much faster. There is no enforcement. Just roadblocks to check registrations, seat belts, searches, etc. It is really pathetic. 

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting that this dialogue continues year after year with 'experts' making suggestions, the Government coming up with catchy names like 'Operation Safety' and nothing changes.

The smaller the town, City or Island here the worse things are. The less Law Enforcement and more Law turning up after the carnage and deaths. I have lived in smaller areas like Samui for years and I can count the number of times on one hand I have actually seen the Police pro active and stopping people, usually for no helmet.  Not kidding! I have seen them less than 5 times in 8 years. In any other country you would see this 5 times a week and the revenue they collect is 'self funding' So the "we can't afford to spend money on Police training' is BS. They need to separate Highway Patrol from the General Police and you'll see results.

2 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Its school holidays now and the amount of small boys piled onto scooters racing around our town is ridiculous.

What is the fatality rate of scooter drivers under 16 years of age ?

The report below suggests that 75% of Thailand road fatalities are 2/3 wheelers.  And that around 5% of these are under 15 y/o.  I make that around 930 per year (2.5 per day).  The 15-19 y/o make up a staggering 18% of the m/c fatalities, so more like 3300 per year, or almost 10 per day.  Some very useful info on the WHO web site.

http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/publications/road_traffic/ptw_manual/en/

6 hours ago, dcnx said:

Well done, Thailand. Another achievement to be proud of.

There must be a national shortage of alarm clocks.

The guys on bikes seems to be in such a hurry, they must be late for work.

Driving one-handed while texting must also add to the problem, and the combination of all this - no helmet, speeding, texting, doesn't help at all.

Do remember that it's not all fatalities.  The brain damaged in hospitals is not insignificant.

:sad:

I don't normally drive much at night, but just got back from a 1 1/2 hour drive in the dark. 
I'd guess 5% of the motorbikes have either no tail light or no headlight, or both. 

I can't see them. 
Must be the cause of many of the accidents. 

4 minutes ago, fiddlehead said:

I don't normally drive much at night, but just got back from a 1 1/2 hour drive in the dark. 
I'd guess 5% of the motorbikes have either no tail light or no headlight, or both. 

I can't see them. 

A mandatory reflection safety vest a night time makes sense.

A mandatory reflection safety vest a night time makes sense.

But, but, but......'that's like a nanny state', so many farangs will soon bemoan. If one irrationally doesn't want to protect oneself while riding or driving, then don't complain when government does so on behalf of society.

Maybe if motor bikers checked their tail lights to see if they were working and get them working might help to cut down on night accidents.  A real pain travelling Thai roads at night. Put a 500 bhat fine on the biker and have him  check with police next day to show he/she rectified the problem. Easy---no fix, no bike. One more life saved.

Regulating the  performance  capacity  of  motorcycles   is a hopeless  answer. As it is  with most vehicles a  significant  number have access  to  custom  modifications  and  electronics which  can turn a  moped  into  a  scream machine. Unfortunately  the  satisfaction  of  having  somehow  afforded to do so  seems to have  come at the  cost of  any  comprehension  of how  to  handle it.

There does seem to be something  missing  in the  thought process when in a  country a  huge percentage start to ride a motorcycle as young as  5 years of  age  and  30+ years  later  still have not attained  any skill other than maximum  speed in a straight line.

51 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:
57 minutes ago, fiddlehead said:

I can't see them. 

A mandatory reflection safety vest a night time makes sense

Lights are mandatory. Not getting very far are we!

root of the problem is the rider and driver themselves. The vehicles are the same all over the world, but how come Thailand is no.1?

when government choose to implement laws the citizens cry and say government no understand poor people.

Even if u r poor, u can have common sense and obey traffic rules. Simple as that. 

no excuses anymore. 

My thoughts Youth particularly male youth wants to show how manly, strong and brave they are and with an absence of parental guidance and where appropriate  control the result is a dangerous cocktail and hormones out of control - this is also the case with driving

The answer - Tough enforceable laws on wearing of helmets, speeding, reckless riding and most importantly tough tests before receiving licenses and parents being legally responsible for their children up to the age of 25 so they can also be punished

This may help a little but more women in government to move away from this macho mentality that exists here

'Experts at a conference promoting a motorcycle safety campaign have said that Thailand is number one in motorcycle deaths.' It needed experts to work that out?

'... the figures are just going up and up despite measures to try and stop the increase.' And despite the obvious fact that their 'measures' don't work ...and are rarely enforced.

7 hours ago, koolkarl said:

Soon Thailand to be number 1 for car accidents in the world too.

Police do nothing except harass someone for not wearing a seat belt, driving a Vigo.  

These motorbikes drive all over the place, on sidewalks, which really pisses me off, against 1 way traffic, ride through red lights,

u name it. They get what they deserve.

Sorry just seen this. You should be harassed just for driving a Vigo!!!!! 5555

it's their stupid laws that kill. Making motorcycles ride in the blind spot of ever other vehicle is nothing short of ludicrous.

Riding on the side with the taxis, cars entering or blocking the road because they can't decide to pull into a gas station.

Why don't they do something about the illegal parking of cars and trucks waiting for passengers or loading or unloading.

Why can't motorcycles use the flyovers to avoid the congestion and jockeying for positions with 50 other bikes when the light turns green?

It's their stupid laws, laws that kill, not speed! Why can't the police patrol rather than setting up a "net" to stop and fleece motorists?

Why is it acceptable for the police to set up shop at the end of the month when everyone knows people get paid?

Why is it acceptable to the Thai people that it's just a part of reality and know the police come out in force and more aggressively at the end of the month?

"sin duen, rawang!  Blame the kids, blame the speed of the bikes, never blame yourselves! :saai:

11 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Here we go again blame the manufacturers because there is nothing wrong with the riders naturally !

There are some faults that definitely cause accidents, a few come to mind:

- baskets on the front that block headlights so you can't see the bike at night

- the need to switch the lights on

- bikes that start with the bike stand down

With Thailand being No.1 it would be interesting to know where the 'hot spots' are but as I live on Samui I already know one of the riskiest places to ride a bike in the world.

I see many of the young drivers of motorbikes, that do not wear a helmet of any kind, and I see

them get away with it.  Until the attitude changes and the quality of helmets improve, the death

rate will stay high.  Being cool versus being safe is a basic stupid attitude.

Geezer

Increase the fine to 1,000 baht and the helmet problem could be resolved. Also, by registering a motorbike the owner should confirm and prove a helmet has been purchased. Thirdly, do not allow more than 2 people on a bike - especially babies for <deleted>sake..!

13 hours ago, webfact said:

"There needs to be more regulations for bikes slated for local sale", he suggested.

Yes there does and it starts right at the licensing and insurance depot. Also have a horsepower rating for new drivers. If you bring the bike in for insurance take a picture for your file and start er up and throttle it and if its to noisy turn him down for insurance. There should be a 3 strikes law and your out. The licensing aspect could be more intensive I am sure not that I am an expert. 

Helmets alone would probably halve that figure. But with the 200 baht crap helmets that are legal here... maybe not, but would still be significant.
If there were laws for helmet quality standards and the wearing of them enforced with bike confiscation (5,000 to get it back), I'm pretty sure deaths could be halved very quickly. Won't happen of course... I used the L word and the E word... Law and Enforcement (Taboo in Thailand)

In the end, it all boils down to the driver. Not laws, not enforcement, not manufacturers. Just simple, common sense, Responsibility. Oops, there I go again with another taboo... I used the R word :(

Archived