Motorbike accident deaths: Thailand number one in the world

webfact

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Shroud said:
Increase the fine to 1,000 baht and the helmet problem could be resolved. Also, by registering a motorbike the owner should confirm and prove a helmet has been purchased. Thirdly, do not allow more than 2 people on a bike - especially babies for <deleted>sake..!

Why? The reason the bib don't chase them is because they will never ever pay. Just a lot of paper work for zero result.

In oz about 30 years ago you had the option to pay or go to jail for 3 days which was stupid because the tax payer paid for the food and board.

The only way is to deregister the bike but since so many were not registered in the first place it would Have a limited effect and to confiscate the bikes would be a logistic nightmare when you are looking at millions of them

Just let Darwin take out the gene pool, best solution.

Haha if a child of 16 years old can drive easily and legally  a simple bike cruising around  with 90 km an hour than it not matters when he crashes if he wears a helmet or not.Reduce the speed first for all the simple bikes till max 50 km.Then if he crashes with 50 km and wearing a decent helmet maybe he survives.

49 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Haha if a child of 16 years old can drive easily and legally  a simple bike cruising around  with 90 km an hour than it not matters when he crashes if he wears a helmet or not.Reduce the speed first for all the simple bikes till max 50 km.Then if he crashes with 50 km and wearing a decent helmet maybe he survives.

Laying a motorcycle down or crashing at well over 120 kph, let alone 90, is easily survivable with a quality helmet and happens regularly. And if other proper gear is worn, one can walk away from it without even needing medical treatment. The exact same scenario without a helmet would very likely be fatal. More than high speed, it is exceeding the safe speed for the environment that is the problem. Doing 50 in a zone where one should be doing 30 is pretty much as dangerous as doing 90 in a 50 zone. But doing 90 on a highway is pretty much as safe as doing 30 downtown.

Alcohol is a major contributor of motorcycle deaths as well, somewhere between 25-30% of fatal accidents if I remember correctly.

An interesting tidbit that I can't seem to forget.... in America the stats showed that States that did NOT have helmet laws have had a bit more than 10 times the fatality rate compared to States with helmet laws! 10 times!! If it isn't already obvious to someone the difference helmets make, that stat should open their eyes.

No 1 in deaths but what about head trauma's? Helmets and safety programs. Don't let an 11 year old out on a bike. 90km limit is not the answer. They need to take their heads out of their bums first to see the problems. Spend a few weekends in hospital casualty to see the impact or how people are managed after the accidents. They need to develop empathy to solve the problem.

18 hours ago, evadgib said:

Audible indicators & an immobilizer preventing bikes (or CARS!) being driven with less than it's full compliment of functioning bulbs would be a good start; as would...

neiko-neon-vest.jpg

Would, should, could, shouldn't, wouldn't, didn't. Splash.-----

14 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Good grief!

The 2nd photo in the OP.

So called "experts" do not have a clue about motorcycles.

Those type of people only have ever known the inside of an air conditioned car.

To sort out the safety and training aspect of all things two wheeled over here, they need to have motorcyclists on board for their input.
Much as the new breed of big bike riders over here are killing themselves and need greater training and awareness, the vast majority of deaths are still in the 100-150cc range and young kids.

It does need sorting out, but sensibly with the correct people on board.

I've been riding large motorcycles for 40 years...

Up here in Isaan motorbike riders go so slow they cause accidents. I'm gladdened when one is riding (in the middle of the lane) the speed limit i.e. 90 KPH on a two lane road. Riding the speed limit around here is a rarity. Hell if they go much slower they might as well walk. I don't get it? Maybe it's a Thai thing? 

7 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Insurance
Tax
Bald tyres
No lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The negative aspects:

.IQ under 41

No mirrors ( Pointing to face for a check up)

No idea about Murphy's Laws. ( Nor have the teachers)

The positive aspects:

Always 200 baht, mai mee tabienn.

Sista married to Farang, easy to "borrow" cash, never pay back.

Summarizing: Bho Phenn Janng Dhoer. :WPFflags:

P.S. Dilli, what's the main difference between Thais and Faramgs?

Thais have bald tyres.......:shock1:

This will continue until motorcycles are forced to obey the same rules as automobiles and somebody does something to eliminate the ones that are too slow to be street legal.  That means no riding on the shoulders, no riding side by side, no homemade sidecars, no ignoring traffic lights and stop signs, no creeping up between cars at stops.  Most of these motorcycles can't even go the 90 kph speed limit on primary roads.  Most places in the world that would mean they aren't legal on those roads.  I told my brother-in-law that in the US almost all motorcycles are faster than almost all cars.  He just shrugged and looked at me like I was some kind of idiot (sometimes I can be).   Where we live in Tennessee these could be licensed, but only as medium speed vehicles.  That would mean they're restricted to secondary roads with speed limits not exceeding 45 mph.  The same applies to farm tractors, construction equipment and four wheeler ATV's/UTV's.

I know, it won't fly here, but so much of what I see that's bad about Thai driving behaviors seems to be related to the added threat of motorcycles.

So 5 500 of the 26 000 annual deaths are bike related. That leaves the vast majority of deaths involving cars/trucks. :unsure: Quite the opposite of what some posters on here have been saying - especially in the recent threads about road safety (pick-ups) >_>

52 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

Up here in Isaan motorbike riders go so slow they cause accidents. I'm gladdened when one is riding (in the middle of the lane) the speed limit i.e. 90 KPH on a two lane road. Riding the speed limit around here is a rarity. Hell if they go much slower they might as well walk. I don't get it? Maybe it's a Thai thing? 

I see basically u conclude that to increase the speed limit There be fewer accidents while all the research proves us the complete opposite.

Speed doesn't kill. I've been travelling at speeds of 500-1000 mph all my life, as have most life forms on the earths crust. It's the sudden differences in speeds. So my suggestion is, prepare gladiator games for those in need of speed and reserve public roads for actual transport.

12 minutes ago, SABloke said:

So 5 500 of the 26 000 annual deaths are bike related. That leaves the vast majority of deaths involving cars/trucks. :unsure: Quite the opposite of what some posters on here have been saying - especially in the recent threads about road safety (pick-ups) >_>

Yes, this puzzled me as well. The RTP are inept at collecting statistics (are they good at anything?), but it's generally accepted that up to 80% of recorded deaths involve bikes. So do the math, you silly-billy experts, that's 6,500, not 5,500. OK?

5 hours ago, Sig said:

Laying a motorcycle down or crashing at well over 120 kph, let alone 90, is easily survivable with a quality helmet and happens regularly. And if other proper gear is worn, one can walk away from it without even needing medical treatment. The exact same scenario without a helmet would very likely be fatal. More than high speed, it is exceeding the safe speed for the environment that is the problem. Doing 50 in a zone where one should be doing 30 is pretty much as dangerous as doing 90 in a 50 zone. But doing 90 on a highway is pretty much as safe as doing 30 downtown.

Alcohol is a major contributor of motorcycle deaths as well, somewhere between 25-30% of fatal accidents if I remember correctly.

An interesting tidbit that I can't seem to forget.... in America the stats showed that States that did NOT have helmet laws have had a bit more than 10 times the fatality rate compared to States with helmet laws! 10 times!! If it isn't already obvious to someone the difference helmets make, that stat should open their eyes.

90% of what u write here is total nonsense.About zoning yes ok Pattaya should be a complete 50 km zone for all vehicles but small sois max 30 km and sukumvit max 70km.So there is no need for motorbikes able to race with 100 km.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

A combination of driver training, helmet and safety gear usage, stopping drink driving and the cooperation of manufacturers was what was needed to begin to address the death toll.

This is one paragraph from lead article that does make sense. And driver training is the single most important element.

But it has to start whilst they are young. Waiting until they have learned all the bad habits of their parents and other elders is way too late.

I would advocate training whilst they are still in school. In UK, children learn to ride pedal cycles in school and can gain an award known as the 'Cycling Proficiency Certificate'. It's voluntary, but many kids take the course and are proud of their qualification.

This kind of training could easily be adapted to motorcycles and taught in schools by a dedicated team. If the system was available to all children, the certificate could become a prerequisite to obtaining a licence.

It's ambitious, very ambitious, but I see this method as the only one that would get to the root of the problem. 

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would be very interested to see if there was a statistic available, as to what percentage of motor bike deaths in Thailand, was attributable to the person NOT wearing a helmet.

I would like to see the statistic of people who died and were wearing helmets.

Then break it down to who caused the accident.

Being run over by a truck but wearing a helmet is of no use at all.

5 hours ago, Sig said:

I can recall 3 accidents when I was young and somewhat naive. (some would say stupid!) In the first one I came off doing around 90 kms/hr and somersaulted down the road. My helmet was split, but I was completely unscathed. The other 2 were also dramatic, but again I was completely uninjured due to wearing a helmet and the right gear.

In a traumatic accident where one hits a solid object, even a helmet is unlikely to save you, but in the more common 'come off the bike' situation, a helmet gives you a good chance of survival.

This is the message that they really need to hammer home to these kids. (and their elders).

I actually agree with a lot of what these "experts" had to say, at least according to the article as it's written and reading in-between the lines.  

The only thing that the article says that I disagree with is, paraphrasing..."if there were a cap on the speed", implying the manufactures to reduce the motorcycles capabilities and that 90kph is too fast. But, included in that same line, "...slow motorcyclists down to 60 kilometers an hour that would have a dramatic effect on the figures.  This is true, but not in context of the article.

By evidence of the numerous replies on here, it's obvious the driving habits and lack of skills of the riders this article targets are the worst... as evident by being number one in fatalities.  Well done.

Agree a good full face helmet can make a difference.  I too have come off at about 80km/hr and slide for what seems like an eternity,  helmet banging all the while.  Very minor injuries, but had I not been wearing my helmet perhaps serious /fatal injuries

Speed doesn't kill. I've been travelling at speeds of 500-1000 mph all my life, as have most life forms on the earths crust. It's the sudden differences in speeds. So my suggestion is, prepare gladiator games for those in need of speed and reserve public roads for actual transport.

True. It's the stopping that really rucks things up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Here we go again blame the manufacturers because there is nothing wrong with the riders naturally !

Never blame attitude or reckless youths with no idea or respect for life, the stupid people loading up bikes with babies with no helmets worn by anyone ,falangs do this as well.

Bikes cut in front of cars all the time, go to fast and ride at night the wrong way and with no lights.

I think we all know this but I wonder why the government can not police helmets, you see it everyday the police ignore people riding with no helmets until they have a blitz one day for lunch money.

Archived