Anti-humidity bags

Chainsaw

My computer fails to boot up whenever the humidity is high. I've used a hair dryer to try to 'dry' it out but this doesn't work very well. Does anyone know of a supplier of silica gel bags in Phuket?

I would need larger ones than the type supplied with pill containers.

3 minutes ago, Chainsaw said:

I don't have aircon. My other computer works fine so I'm looking for anti-humidity bags that can be 'recharged' in the oven.

Not sure if you can "recharge " silica gel bags i think once they are full they are done for.

Best of luck though.

1. In finding them here.

2. In "recharging" them successfully.

Some camera shops sell silica bags.

Much cheaper option: Get silica boxes for keeping clothes boxes dry from Tesco. Place one in airtight plastic box with your electronics.

Ps. Get the ones without added scent. Do as I say, don't do as I did.

Pps. My camera is dry, but has a funny smell 

We use the re-fillable desiccant containers from HomePro in all of our clothing closets. Brand name is Farcent and they're lightly scented. Re-fillable type is 89 baht, non-refillable is 45 baht. These are not silica gel, and the beads cannot be recycled since they dissolve with the water they capture.

I don't know where you can buy the silica gel packets in Phuket, but they're readily available online from Lazada and AliExpress (all come from China). They come in different size packets, from 1g up to 500g, and can be recycled by leaving out in the sun, or "cooking" in a microwave. 100 of the 1g packets costs around 150 baht including shipping.

I bought orange-indicator silica gel (reversible by placing in oven at 105 Celsius).

Here are the contact details. I'm sure you can buy a smaller amount than the ten kilos I wanted.

On 23 July 2015 at 11:28, <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Tapster,

Thank you for your order. Your order id is '12270'
Detail of your order

No. Product code Name Unit price Quantity Total Price
1 10007 Silica Gel Orange 150 Baht 10 1500 Baht
Net price : 1500 Baht
Fee for delivery by ThaiPost 255 Baht  
Total price : 1755 Baht

On 4/12/2017 at 11:42 AM, Tapster said:

I bought orange-indicator silica gel (reversible by placing in oven at 105 Celsius).

Here are the contact details. I'm sure you can buy a smaller amount than the ten kilos I wanted.

Great info Tapster - thanks for sharing!

I found exactly what I was looking for on their website and sent in an order. Hopefully a lot faster delivery compared to ordering from China.

Macro sells the tubs that absorbs the humidity. Store your laptop in a small plastic box with one of those inside and it will dry out nicely. They are not reusable but will last a good long time in a small box. I use them in a box with all my tools to prevent them from going rusty.

I went to Homepro today to try to find those Farcent boxes. After wandering round the store for a while being followed by the occasional 'assistant' in an orange apron. I decided to try asking one of the assistants - big mistake! I was guided to the furniture section and shown a couple of chests of drawers.

I then asked if there was anyone who spoke English - big mistake #2!

I was introduced to a lady near the checkout who nodded knowingly as I explained what I was looking for. She then confidently led me straight back to the furniture department and showed me the same chests of drawers!

I gave up at that point and was heading out of the store when I spotted them right by the checkout. The 'English speaking lady' had been standing right in front of them.

Overjoyed at my success I bought one of the 45 baht disposable ones to try, only to be informed as I got my receipt the there was a promotion on and I could have bought 3 for 100 baht!

This is not a complaint, I found the whole comedy of errors enjoyable. It's things like this that make me realise why I love living in Thailand.

My computer (tower type) is now completely enclosed in a black bin liner with the Farcent box nestling inside. I'm going to leave it for a couple of days and then try to start my computer. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks guys.

On 4/19/2017 at 2:22 PM, Chainsaw said:

I went to Homepro today to try to find those Farcent boxes. After wandering round the store for a while being followed by the occasional 'assistant' in an orange apron. I decided to try asking one of the assistants - big mistake! I was guided to the furniture section and shown a couple of chests of drawers.

I then asked if there was anyone who spoke English - big mistake #2!

I was introduced to a lady near the checkout who nodded knowingly as I explained what I was looking for. She then confidently led me straight back to the furniture department and showed me the same chests of drawers!

I gave up at that point and was heading out of the store when I spotted them right by the checkout. The 'English speaking lady' had been standing right in front of them.

Overjoyed at my success I bought one of the 45 baht disposable ones to try, only to be informed as I got my receipt the there was a promotion on and I could have bought 3 for 100 baht!

This is not a complaint, I found the whole comedy of errors enjoyable. It's things like this that make me realise why I love living in Thailand.

My computer (tower type) is now completely enclosed in a black bin liner with the Farcent box nestling inside. I'm going to leave it for a couple of days and then try to start my computer. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks guys.

Homepro sells them and they are located at the cashier location together withe batteries etc.

Just have a look at the different cashier booths.

On 24/04/2017 at 11:52 PM, merijn said:

Homepro sells them and they are located at the cashier location together withe batteries etc.

Just have a look at the different cashier booths.

Merijn, it's always advisable to read posts in full before commenting.

Excerpt from my previous post:

" I gave up at that point and was heading out of the store when I spotted them right by the checkout. The 'English speaking lady' had been standing right in front of them.

Overjoyed at my success I bought one of the 45 baht disposable ones to try, only to be informed as I got my receipt the there was a promotion on and I could have bought 3 for 100 baht!"

UPDATE...The farcent thingy didn't work so a friend of mine came round and we got the computer on the table outside and cleaned all the innards. It was a hot day and the cleaning and sunshine got rid of the humidity and Bingo! I was back in business. Took it back inside, it worked for three days and refused to boot up this morning. Now I have to wait for the next sunny day and go through the whole rigmarole again.

Aint life grand? :passifier:

On 4/27/2017 at 8:01 PM, leyali said:

I don't know if this help in your case. But my wife always put the phone or camera who get wet in a box with rice and close it well, let them stay one day. Always work well.

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

I have some humidity issues with a phone at the moment, but it in rice for an hour yesterday and it seems to have improved already considerably. Will leave it overnight in rice tonight.

25 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I have some humidity issues with a phone at the moment, but it in rice for an hour yesterday and it seems to have improved already considerably. Will leave it overnight in rice tonight.

Rice is a very good absorbent. Same to remove red wine stain from the carpet.

Just thinking of rice in a silica box would work to remove moisture ?

Archived