People In Songkhla Province

Amir

• 4 months later...

The German government advises against any unnecessary travel to South Thailand provinces including Songkhla province.

How safe is it realistically to drive there by car and spend time in Songkhla town and sourrounding villages?

I would also like to know if anybody lives there and what it is like.

The German government advises against any unnecessary travel to South Thailand provinces including Songkhla province.

How safe is it realistically to drive there by car and spend time in Songkhla town and sourrounding villages?

I would say about 50 farangs live in Hat Yai on a very regular basis. Many other come for 3 month or so to teach english.

Most of the farangs in Hat Yai are english teachers.

the other are retired people opening a business in Thailand.

Then you have the guys who work offshore in Sonkhla and spend 1 month 1 month alterning between offshore and leave

A few have a job for big companies like myself.

In songkhla there are also english teachers, Offshore workers, Canadians (helicopter pilots to brng the offshore workers to their offshore plates), consultants for the multiple seafood process plants and logistic employes in big companies.

Songkhla province is NOT dangereous. If you refer to the bomb 2 month ago in a school in Songkhla... it was on the border with Pattani which is 120 km further south from Songkhla city and hat Yai city.

If you want t know about the activities there, please refer to a previous topic (i don't know how to include the link) in this forum.

AK

• 1 month later...

I would say about 50 farangs live in Hat Yai on a very regular basis. Many other come for 3 month or so to teach english.

Most of the farangs in Hat Yai are english teachers.

the other are retired people opening a business in Thailand.

Then you have the guys who work offshore in Sonkhla and spend 1 month 1 month alterning between offshore and leave

A few have a job for big companies like myself.

In songkhla there are also english teachers, Offshore workers, Canadians (helicopter pilots to brng the offshore workers to their offshore plates), consultants for the multiple seafood process plants and logistic employes in big companies.

Songkhla province is NOT dangereous. If you refer to the bomb 2 month ago in a school in Songkhla... it was on the border with Pattani which is 120 km further south from Songkhla city and hat Yai city.

If you want t know about the activities there, please refer to a previous topic (i don't know how to include the link) in this forum.

AK

I have been living on and off in hatyai and have travelled quite a bit to Songkla. What is it like in hatyai? The city is a bit quiet now-a-days. Tourism has died down quite a bit & businesses seems to be a bit slow over here. Hatyai has always been a get-away place for Malaysians and Singaporeans for shopping and other activities but due to the bombings - eventhough hundreds of kms away and recently within the vacinity - a lot of the tourists are staying away from the place & venturing to Bangkok or Chiang Mai. Airasia has even ceased flights from Kuala Lumpur to Hatyai.

Even with all the warnings of "the-dangers-of-visiting-southern-thailand" - it is still a great place.