NIST and St Andrews Suk 71

Just looking at schools in Bangkok for a possible move to Thailand. Does anyone have any recent experience at either of these schools in primary years? Quality of facilities and education, mix of nationalities etc.

Had our daughter at NIST for 3 years until we moved away from Bangkok (grades 5-8).  We are a Thai-Aussie family and there was a good mixture of kids from all different cultures and backgrounds.  Teachers are well qualified, generally have a few years (sometimes more) under their belts and we always felt that they had our daughter's interests at heart.   Our daughter found herself ahead academically when she moved to school in Australia.  

I think something you hear about all the international schools is that the older kids do a lot of clubbing and underage drinking on weekends. NIST is no different and I had friends and colleagues with older teens at other schools such as St Andrews, ISB and Pattana who said it was the same there.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 3 year old and have been looking at International Schools with quite an interest in the future. 

I've also been here for 20 years and had many friends and family (Wife's nephews, niece) attend some International Schools... 

Pattana, ISB and Harrow (in order) are considered the best Schools. 

Followed by NIST and perhaps then Bangkok Prep. 

At the age of about 7 years old I plan on moving my Son from a local Kindergarten to Pattaya, Harrow or NIST (I don't mind if he does BC or IB). We would need to place him on the waiting list up to 2 years in advance. 

I then plan to move him to a private School in the UK for A Levels at age 16 (for 2 years - which I'd have to pay for), after this 2 years he would be eligible for UK university (fees covered).

Those families we know who's children attend any of these above schools have very positive experiences. 

The Children (2 boys) of my Wife's friend attend St Andrews (Suk 71) - my Wife's friend was on the phone with my Wife today with complaints of this School. 

Following this thread myself, as I recently started a separate topic on St Andrews 107, but have now started leaning towards St Andrews 71 for my kids joining Yr10 and Yr4.

The main reason for the change in focus was the better selection of IGCSE subject options available for Yr10... but still interested to hear other views on the school...

• 2 weeks later...

Have kids at NIST. I'm a big fan of IB as I think it gives a much more rounded education than IGCSE - but that is probably just a matter of opinion. I also like the fact that NIST is whole of school IB and is not offering some kind of hybrid program as many of the international schools here do. Enquiry-based learning, a hallmark of IB, also has a lot going for it. A couple of things to look at when considering an international school here;

Class sizes - anything over around 22 -25 kids per class not so good.

Teacher turnover rate- high teacher turnover is probably a bad sign.

Percentage of Thai students versus non-Thai - pretty obvious problem there

Look at the average school pass mark - for example the global IB pass mark is around 33 - at NIST it is 36

Where are the graduates going - look at their further study destinations - usually a good indicator of quality of education

% of school fees spent on teacher salary - at NIST it is around 76% - that is pretty high and reflects a school's priorities - if very high % is being spent on capital works then you are just paying for the furniture - so to speak.

just a few thoughts - my top three would be ISB, NIST and Bangkok Pattana - not necessarily in that any order.

Check to see if Filipinos are employed, how many and in what capacity. I won't say more about this, do some searches, look at reviews, read student comments.

There are also some solid middle tier schools like Amnuay Silpa as well.

Archived