Video: Drunk as a skunk - Thai driver ushers in Songkran 2017

webfact

Video: Drunk as a skunk - Thai driver ushers in Songkran 2017

1am.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- Hopefully it is not a sign of things to come - the antics of a drunk driver caught on tape got the Thai online world commenting as the Songkran holidays began.

Three clips posted to the "Mem Pho Dam" page showed a Thai drunk driver crashing into a parked car. Then seemingly oblivious to what he has done he continues swigging in his pick-up's cab, reported Thai Rath.

He finally emerges and passes out on the sidewalk.

Later police and insurance agents arrive. He claims he works for a member of parliament but no one is really buying his incoherent ramblings.

He is finally led away to the police station.

Thais online said it really is time for people like this to lose both their car and their license - and the authorities should have the power of Article 44 to do it.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-13

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thais online said it really is time for people like this to lose both their car and their license - and the authorities should have the power of Article 44 to do it.

You don't need 44. 

Just enforce the existing laws. 

He claims he works for a member of parliament but no one is really buying his incoherent ramblings.

Inactive posts coming for those that disturbed his fun holiday if it transpires that he does work in this responsible position.:wacko:

"Thais online said it really is time for people like this to lose both their car and their license - and the authorities should have the power of Article 44 to do it."

This shows that in Thailand consciousness of nusisance in this country is growing.

Makes me hopeful that it will spread and lead to necessary actions

He claims he works for a member of parliament but no one is really buying his incoherent ramblings.

Shows the lack of mentality. Should not matter who you are even if it was Prayut himself he should be locked up. But, hey, this IS Thailand.

They would bring him to the police station give him a cup of coffee and tell him to drive home Look every one of us have seen Thais so drunk and cant even stand up and get into the car and drive home Its is part of the culture and they will always get away with it. Police never enforce the law so good luck and drink on

1 hour ago, steveyinasia said:

The sad fact is that many Thai people believe it is OK to drink and drive, this may be due to the ineffective fines and police prosecution of offenders.  Of course the solution is simple yet it will never happen.

Or it might be due to stupidity and a complete lack of responsibility.

5 hours ago, tominbkk said:

Black Out Drunk.  At lest he didn't run over a cop and move to England for some jolly good fun!

I heard it was the sister who was driving, maybe that's why they aren't pursuing him, and maybe waiting for her to confess ?

Its not only drinking and driving, these guys really need to crack down on their own, just take a look at the water now everywhere, ca[l me boring but the water being throw at unsuspecting motorcyclists is something to add to this already disastrous recipe.

Seriously something wrong with this culture, buckle up, get those helmets on, don't drink and drive, don't speed, stay out the back of those 4 wheel drives, and overhaul the licencing division around the country, i.e. bring in learner plates for 12 months and provisional plates for 2 years before issuing full licences, on top of that, ban throwing water at motorbikes during Songkran, issue heavy fines, loss of licence, and jail, all you have to do is get the police to enforce it at every corner of the country, sick of hearing about the problem, just sort it, I have told you how, no excuses !!! 

On 4/13/2017 at 11:05 AM, steveyinasia said:

The sad fact is that many Thai people believe it is OK to drink and drive, this may be due to the ineffective fines and police prosecution of offenders.  Of course the solution is simple yet it will never happen.

"The sad fact is that many Thai people believe it is OK to drink and drive,..."

Still have quite a few folks in my extended Thai family who have this attitude. In most cases it's starts with basic objection to any laws which might puts some controls on anybody and anything, and extends to not your business or police business if I drink and drive - 'it's up to me!'

If some one else gets hurt, the reaction is usually that it's just bad luck.

Fortunately my Thai adult son and his Thai wife keep their 3 kids well away from these folks. 

They aren't drunk. Just exhausted from the heat. 

By the way it's nice to see how the cops smile and help the drunk guy up politely. You should see how they treat them inside the police station when nobody's watching. 

On 04/13/2017 at 0:05 PM, steveyinasia said:

Thank god drunk driving never occurs in the west.

IIF you feel so unsafe you have a simple solution other than bleating on social media

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2017 at 7:17 PM, Fulwell53 said:

Thank god drunk driving never occurs in the west.

IIF you feel so unsafe you have a simple solution other than bleating on social media

Unfortunately it does happen in the west, the difference is people get caught and spend YEARS in jail for it.

Simple solution? Do exactly the same as was done in the west, public awareness campaigns. Graphic advertisements on prime-time TV.  Billboards, newspaper, magazine and online advertising. Ram it down peoples throats and make it politically incorrect to drive drunk, make people lose face for doing it. The prevailing culture in the west was completely changed in the 70's and 80's through such measures.

Most importantly ENFORCE THE LAW. Breathalyze everyone involved in collisions immediately and at the scene, randomly stop and breathalyze ANY driver. Prosecute drunk drivers.

BTW, your comment makes it sound like you're in favour of drunk driving? If so then I guess no one you know has ever been killed by one, so <DELETED> you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2017 at 9:35 AM, Ulic said:

Not my fault, it's Songkran, I was over-served,  oh.....and the breaks and steering failed. :tongue:

Breaks and steering failed?

Breaks?

Oh yes, breaks in a car can cause damage, and accidents.

Or do you mean brakes?

• 1 month later...

Archived