Bangkok dad fed up with his lazy, aggressive son empties his .38 into him

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

There have been numerous stories on TV of elderly people-usually grannies-murdered by sons or male relatives due to the fact that they have finally stood their ground whilst the male parasite demands money for the Lao Khao or YaBa once again.

Amazing. I ran this story by my wife just now. Just the bare bones and her response was immediate and more or less, reflected what you wrote here Odyssus.

'They're lazy, all they want is money for drink, drink, drink'.

Sad that this long suffering old man will be punished for what many, even Thais. will see as doing the 'right thing'.

I do hope that the legal system here has some degree of compassion for cases such as this.

And sorry guys, but I do deplore the negative comments about the old man's actions after the event. These would be the typical actions of a sad and contrite old man in these circumstances. Wind it in will you please?

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Reading the headline, I expected the son to be a juvenile.

42 y.o., what a waster. I am surprised his dad waited so long.

i hope this becomes a custom over 30 and still wasting everybody s time  and money, shoot them. nice

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

I don't think that it is unbelievable.He was probably in a state of shock but apart from taking the photos (?self confession) went along quite a traditional path.Dressed nicely,trimmed himself up,went to the temple to aplogise/make merit and then just waited.

73 years old.I see elderly grannies being terrorized-either covertly or overtly-in this village most everyday and as they say "What can I do..I am old..I have no-one ."

Well..he did it.

Why involve Buddha? Should have just turned the gun on himself.

2 hours ago, selftaopath said:

Oh how I agree jaltsc. This country is full of enablers. Parenting skills are appallingly lacking. Parents seem to not understand how to say NO to their children. Seems like kids her are given authority over parents. I'll never understand this. Oh and permissive parenting is the least respected amongst grown children. But again I wonder about Thai women. They raise males and then bitch about lazy Thai men. Wellllllllllllllllll who allowed this to develop. I point mainly to Thai women b/c many/most Thai men take off when the woman gets pregnant... at least around here (Isaan) they do. 

thai excuse for running of for responsibility: ow this big belly makes you less beautifull, sawadee kap bye bye

I'm usually appalled at news stories about how Thais seem to commit horrific crimes and then either get off easy or go to make merit and all is forgiven. However, in this case, I'd say good on the father - for once I hope the sentence is lenient. 

3 hours ago, selftaopath said:

Oh how I agree jaltsc. This country is full of enablers. Parenting skills are appallingly lacking. Parents seem to not understand how to say NO to their children. Seems like kids her are given authority over parents. I'll never understand this. Oh and permissive parenting is the least respected amongst grown children. But again I wonder about Thai women. They raise males and then bitch about lazy Thai men. Wellllllllllllllllll who allowed this to develop. I point mainly to Thai women b/c many/most Thai men take off when the woman gets pregnant... at least around here (Isaan) they do. 

It is not it the culture to forbid kids from doing what they want. Kids are allowed to do whatever they want (almost). But this habit reflects the features of the Thai culture itself. Grown ups don't like having prohibitions themselves. Kids are the reflections of the adults, they way they are taught, and the kids absorb the behaviour of the adults as a sponge. When we see motorcyclists driving on the contrary of the road, it reflects their selfish superficial characters, whose roots come from their childhood and upbringing, and their childhood is defined by the culture itself. Thais don't like bans and prohibitions, there is even no such a word as 'No', there is only "mai chai' = "not yes". Inability to say 'no' no oneself, to one's selfish needs multiplied by rather superficial mentality (on average) of a tropical hot country, gives us a comfortable place to live, where one can do whatever one wants, living on the present day and not being afraid of a reproach. I am not saying this is too bad, it is good for a while. But the degrading population, whom you can find anywhere in any country and culture, will have in their crimes peculiar features of the culture to which they belong. This culture is lazy, therefore laziness-related crimes are often here... Take some northern tough culture, you will see ways more active and tougher crimes... 

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Bangkok dad fed up with his lazy, aggressive son empties his .38 into him .After that he got a haircut then went to a local temple to make merit. He was charged with murder and detained.

Obviously the offering was insufficient!

I suspect he went to the temple not to offer but claim his reward for a merit he just offered to the society via a .38.

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Everyone has their tipping point. Nobody deserves to suffer that in old age. I hope he is treated with leniency. 

Well, there's a line between outright murder vs  self-defense against a physical abuser of an elderly person.

I'm not sure where that line falls in this case. The wife confirmed the physical abuse claim. But no indication the father was in immediate or imminent danger at the time of the shooting.

It would be VERY interesting to see what the Thai courts do with this case, assuming it ever gets that far. Who knows what will happen with it in the police end of things.  And we'll probably never hear, one way or the other.

While I certainly do not condone murder- it certainly is not premeditated. The man snapped after years of abuse. He was probably suffering Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome from the abuse and lost control .  I am not familiar with th legal definition of 'temporary insanity'- in Thailand but certainly a diminished capacity defense can be made. The court may actually give him probation due to his age and the circumstances.

There are many instances in LOS of Thais becoming angry and losing control. I believe this case is slightly different than that- I just think the man snapped due to constant abuse from his son.

3 hours ago, selftaopath said:

Yes.

The typical Thai female attitude re: childbirth and child rearing reflects the general Thai female perception of a child as a piece of Hello Kitty merchandise: "so cute!" but no vision of the bigger, long-term picture.

That's one way to end up with a society of shiftless male "security guards" sitting around parking lots all day.

I cannot say that I agree with other comments here saying that the father did the right thing. As I have said before on other threads Murder is murder and it is a crime morally too. Why not shoot him in the arm, leg etc. Again life is cheap!

18 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Yes.

The typical Thai female attitude re: childbirth and child rearing reflects the general Thai female perception of a child as a piece of Hello Kitty merchandise: "so cute!" but no vision of the bigger, long-term picture.

That's one way to end up with a society of shiftless male "security guards" sitting around parking lots all day.

Most of the females with children but no husband - known as mae mai - are sperm thieves.  They just want a male to help conceive a child.  The child is the security that they seek in life, not the male partner.  The useless son in the story may not be useless after all.  He could have been an active sperm donor during his life.

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Not saying the son wasn't aggressive, but emptying a gun into someone does suggest anger issues. 

Suggests good problem solving skills  to me :shock1: :smile:

25 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I cannot say that I agree with other comments here saying that the father did the right thing. As I have said before on other threads Murder is murder and it is a crime morally too. Why not shoot him in the arm, leg etc. Again life is cheap!

With 6  rounds he could have  done both arms  legs  and dare I suggest  balls

What I see almost as a constant is women here are treated as chattels as soon as they get anywhere near puberty. The men are spoilt rotten as soon as they come out of the womb.

My right foot sometimes itches to give one of these little turds a boot up the backside to straighten them out, but of course you can't do that here, or anywhere else for that matter. Not PC.

" As the twig is bent,so the tree is inclined". The author of that aphorism knew nothing about Thailand, and everything.

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Is this how we handle anger, a .38, surely there were other alternatives, RIP to the son and God give the mother the strength to go on after losing her son, as for the father, well the death of your son will be in your memory of guilt until the day you take your last breath, sad for the family, very sad, regardless of race, a life has past all too soon.

Maybe he had been trying alternatives for the last 42 years and this was the last resort.

Well it looks like the old man gave his son enough chances , he just run out of chances over the years and finally stopped it.I wouldn't have waited That long.Son was 30 yrs say that would have been misery for the old man for at least 15 years.he's a Saint for putting up with that crap.

4 hours ago, selftaopath said:

Maybe they are afraid that if they say no then the kid won't look after them in old age. After all, having kids is seen as a form of insurance policy here. Understandable, given there is zero support from the government. Another reason they don't discipline the kids might also be the Thai aversion to confrontation. which is all very fine until holding it in gets too much and they explode.

Archived