10 days northern isan

BigKahuna

Khon Kaen 2 nights
Udon 2 nights
Nong Khai 5 nights

Good plan for relaxing or is the Loei loop more fun?

Chiang Khan is nice. Resort not far from the walking street there. Beautiful views. We were there a few days ago and only stayed one night.

We stayed in Nong Khai a couple of years ago. Similar to Chiang Khan and nice in its own right.

We are in Khon Kaen at the moment. It's nice around Kaen Nakhon lake. Festival time of course. Good little inn on east side of lake for what my wife says is $20 a night now. Free breakfast and lake across the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Name of resort in kk?

I think he might be talking about BB Hotel in Khon Kaen across the lake . Clean , quiet, and reasonable.

Stayed there several times, nice walks in the park across the street by the lake .

View from entrance:

bb hotel.PNG

Name of resort in kk?

I don't know your taste, but I like convenient, simple, inexpensive.

I stayed here some time ago when I first came to Thailand. My now-wife found it for me, not far from her house.

Right across the street is the lake and they are doing some extensive fixes to the lake path, including a walking bridge across the southern part of the lake.

There's a Chinese temple NE side of lake. The famous KK temple is there along with others. Downtown and Fairy Plaza within easy walking distance, a lot of great restaurants just NNE of lake and at the lake itself.

There is also a fabulous BBQ and hot pot (air con) place SSW of lake (off the lake about 400 meters - we have been there 3 times in the last week, only about $6 a person. Really wonderful. Aaie buffet my wife says now.

https://www.agoda.com/ruean-kanyarat-boutique-hotel/hotel/khon-kaen-th.html?checkin=2017-04-22&los=1&adults=2&rooms=1&cid=1622940&tag=acb2de28-3c52-4a8d-b7e1-e414f7e95e4d&searchrequestid=597f1e9a-e6b6-4a48-9a8a-1031bc0a90ba

My favorite place to visit is Ubolrantana dam and the the Buddha temple south of there. We go there every time we go to Thailand. The temple is inside the giant Buddha. My wife is Buddhist, I'm pseudo-Buddhist.

The lake seems like the biggest attraction to me here. I prefer the mountains and Loei province was absolutely beautiful. We had lunch out on the lake on a floating bamboo hut, got towed out there, it was pretty great, some reservoir out in the middle of nowhere.

I've blogged this 2-week trip for family and friends and included the reservoir lake.

https://thaibumbling.wordpress.com/

Great photos. I am embarking on a 10 day or so drive round next month. Looking at your photos and comments I really want to stay and visit Chiang Khan. Can you tell me the name of the place you stayed. The room looks fine. Also is walking St market open every evening? It looks as if it is going by what I've read.
I've stayed quite a lot in Udon but generally in the main town. Are there any other areas/places you would recommend around Udon or anywhere in the North?
My girlfriends from Beung Khan but she has seen very little really.
Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Totally different idea, unless you are set on visiting the big cities you mention, how about following in our footsteps to some less touristy places:

Khao Yai – any resort will do, we like Watermill or Balios

Pa Hin Ngam National Park (Siam Tulip Park), - hotel (http://www.baantonmai-chaiyaphum.com/ )

Chaiyaphum - Mor Hin Khao & Tatton Waterfall – Siam River Resort

Loie – Erawan Cave & Huai Krathing Reservoir – Loie Palace Hotel

[AT THIS POINT YOU COULD TURN EAST TOWARDS UDORN OR NONG KHAI]

Chiang Khan

Phu Ruea

Dansai 

Khao Kor – Imperial Phukaew

Phu Thap Buek

Any route back to BKK

On 4/14/2017 at 1:53 AM, Kadilo said:

Great photos. I am embarking on a 10 day or so drive round next month. Looking at your photos and comments I really want to stay and visit Chiang Khan. Can you tell me the name of the place you stayed. The room looks fine. Also is walking St market open every evening? It looks as if it is going by what I've read.
I've stayed quite a lot in Udon but generally in the main town. Are there any other areas/places you would recommend around Udon or anywhere in the North?

My apologies for the belated reply. I'm subscribed to a lot of threads. 

Nong khai is nice. That's all I know north of Udon. Nong khai had inns and inexpensive hotels and restaurants to walk to. 

Walking street should be open until 10 pm says wife. 

The inn is this place. Free breakfast. Wifi. 

https://goo.gl/maps/Z8aX7QcZGsG2 อุ่นรักริมโขง รีสอร์ท เชียงคาน Aun Rak Rim Khong Resort Chiangkhan
40/12 4 Thanon Sathon Chiang Khan, Tambon Chiang Khan, Amphoe Chiang Khan, Chang Wat Loei 42110, Thailand
+66 86 859 8550

On 4/13/2017 at 7:32 AM, NanLaew said:

Loei should steal a couple of days from Nongkhai. Then you can truly say, 'been there, done that.'

I was up in Loie a few months ago.. nice trip.. Chiang Khan on the river is good.. a visit to the Thai Dam village is worthwhile..  the trip down to Nong Khai is interesting but not easy.. unless you drive yourself.. otherwise  songthaew (in this case a large new truck with 2 benches in the back... comfortable enough.. good views) ..   half way... then a slow bus to Nong Khai..  a full days journey.. at least.. we stopped overnight when it got late and continued the next morning...   Nong Khai is one of my favorite places.. good restaurants by the river.. and a good market.. good for a couple of nights.. KK & Udon... why bother?   pretty ordinary I think..   I believe Air Asia flys to Loie and has a connecting van to Chiang Khan..   no taxies in Chiang Khan but the guesthouse lady organised a car and driver to take us to the Thai Dam village.. not expensive..  the 'Raft Lake' outside Loie is picturesque.. and would be good for an evening meal on a raft on the lake..  we were there during the day unfortunately.. but still enjoyable.. good restaurants in Loie..  Lotus Hotel is cheap, clean and friendly helpful staff.. & close to river and restaurants..    a link to my photos from Loie...  :    

On 4/14/2017 at 1:53 AM, Kadilo said:

Nong khai hotel we stayed at. Maybe just coffee for breakfast? Can't remember.  

https://goo.gl/maps/JPM2Acuyu362 โรงแรมดีเฮงดี
Mi Chai, Mueang Nong Khai District, Nong Khai 43000, Thailand
+66 42 413 595

nice and inexpensive. 

My apologies for the belated reply. I'm subscribed to a lot of threads. 

Nong khai is nice. That's all I know north of Udon. Nong khai had inns and inexpensive hotels and restaurants to walk to. 

Walking street should be open until 10 pm says wife. 

The inn is this place. Free breakfast. Wifi. 

https://goo.gl/maps/Z8aX7QcZGsG2 อุ่นรักริมโขง รีสอร์ท เชียงคาน Aun Rak Rim Khong Resort Chiangkhan
40/12 4 Thanon Sathon Chiang Khan, Tambon Chiang Khan, Amphoe Chiang Khan, Chang Wat Loei 42110, Thailand
+66 86 859 8550

No problem. Thanks for the reply. I've stayed in Nong Khai before but will return again. I've seen some other places off this thread too so I'm compiling a tour round the North West starting on Udon and heading for Loei area so all info I have picked up on here has been fab.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Loei and down from there to Petchabun has some of the best mountain scenery, roads are quite good.

There's a meeting hall - not a temple -  off the road from Khon Kaen close to Udon Thani. Founded by a very holy monk who banished all the tigers from the local villages. The wooden floor of the hall has been polished daily with coconut husks by hand since 1950. Walking on it in bare feet is amazing.

On 4/13/2017 at 8:37 AM, sirineou said:

I think he might be talking about BB Hotel in Khon Kaen across the lake . Clean , quiet, and reasonable.

Stayed there several times, nice walks in the park across the street by the lake .

View from entrance:

bb hotel.PNG

Just around the lake from there is a very beautiful temple.. I think the only one of its kind in Thailand... worth a visit..  

2069430283_c12b8b67fe_o.jpg

Just around the lake from there is a very beautiful temple.. I think the only one of its kind in Thailand... worth a visit..  
2069430283_c12b8b67fe_o.thumb.jpg.c0e222d308f6cab7205aa12f4df466fb.jpg

I went there a few weeks back. Spectacular. Nice views across the city all the way to the top and easy step to climb.
Also as an aside a really good massage shop in the grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 6 months later...

We stayed here in April. Nice.
http://www.aunrakrimkhong.com/

Archived