Moving to Phuket

Klom332

I saw your email a couple hours ago, just hadn't responded yet. My apologies for the slow response but definitely appreciate the help!

No problem just trying to help, hope you find what you are looking for, many nice places here and plenty people giving good information, if it was me moving to Phuket I would look in the thalang area like it around there, good luck.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

They moved Kata and Karon to the opposite side of the island near Chalong?  Missed that memo.

Kata to Chalong Pier is 10 minutes. Now if you live on the side of Chalong closer to Kata it will be less. So yes, Kata and Karon are close to Chalong.

I left Phuket last year, after living in Thalang for 15 years.

One of the minus points for Phuket is that the traffic has got rather bad - driving from the airport down to Phuket Town or the bypass stores reminded me of commuting into London.

Years ago, I could safely cycle on the Phuket roads.  I stopped cycling years ago in Phuket because it was simply too dangerous.  (Yes, you see many cyclists in Phuket now, but I prefer not to take the risk any more).

Personal safety?  I don't think it has got any worse over the years.  Use your common sense and don't wear flashy watches or gold chains.  That's the same as for any tourist location in the world.

If I return to Thailand, (I live in Myanmar now), I wouldn't return to live in Phuket - the island has got too overcrowded for me.  But it is obviously still a popular choice for tourists (mainland Chinese) and expats.

22 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

What rubbish! 35km trip to airport 800bht.

8 yrs here and never carried a weapon, oh my scare mongering but for what reason?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

he is right about the price, i have gotten a few tickets on air asia on sale for under 800 baht to Bangkok;

The rest of his post is crap

I HATE gated communities.. :-)  Been in Kamala since 1996 and still love it over here...

To find a house   FIRST  stay in a hotel in Patong,  as its centrally located for looking in the south and north.

than drive around and find the area u like.

once u decide on where, than just drive around, most homes/Condos  for rent, have a sign outside them. NO reason at all to use an agent.

People keep hacking that the traffic is bad and give the example of the beaches to the airport?  How often does one need drive to the airport? for me its like  1 time every other month and using the back roads from Kamala i see ZERO traffic..

Other than that i just avoid going into or thru patong from 8-10 am and 4-6 pm

I do thank god i dont live in Chalong or Rawii and haven't been down there in ages

18 hours ago, Klom332 said:

That sounds great, do you have any pictures of insides of the homes/know where I can find them? Only been able to find some pictures of outsides on google.

Most are three bedroom, three bath,  two story homes.  I live in the older section where I think the homes are better designed and most have been remodeled up to western standards.  Come and take a look.  The answer to your questions are no and no.  Have you tried googling Land and House Park Chalong?  I have lived in  Patong Beach and moved out as soon as I could.  Thalang may be nice but too far away for me.  Cherng Talay is good if you can afford to live there.  I almost moved to Kamala several years ago; seems like a nice place but too far away from the major stores.  Chalong fits my needs as it has access up and down the island and from Chalong circle to the west coast.  There is a Makro 500 meters from the circle and a Villa Market right at the circle.  Major Tesco store a km north of the circle.  The only drawback for the moment is the major work being done at the circle to put in the underpass.  Another couple of years for that I suppose.  In my neighborhood there are many Farangs with Thai wives and families and we get along well.

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

Kata to Chalong Pier is 10 minutes. Now if you live on the side of Chalong closer to Kata it will be less. So yes, Kata and Karon are close to Chalong.

Maybe as the crow flies but the crow does not have to sit in the Chalong tunnel traffic.  Now tell me how safe it is going over the hill routinely.

Maybe as the crow flies but the crow does not have to sit in the Chalong tunnel traffic.  Now tell me how safe it is going over the hill routinely.

I do this routinely in rush hour. A crow would take less than 10 minutes.

sent using Tapatalk

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:43 AM, ThaiWai said:

Total bs from start to finish.

TROLL...from start to finish.

What an ignorant, Troll statement! 

How do you know how many Thais warned me that were raised in Phuket over the years?

If you think wearing expensive jewelry is o.k. anywhere in the world now is safe with the worldwide economic retreat, you have your head up your butt! 

Most thieves on the street come up behind and put their arm around throats to  use a military choke hold to force the victim to pass out. This why it is important to be aware who is behind you at all times.  Many Thai women are always turning their heads to view how close people are behind them.

In the last few years millions of jobs have been lost in Thailand and even the working gals are complaining and many going back to their villages because there expenses outweigh their income. 

Hungry people steal and worse.  Obviously, you never had a military or law enforcement experience in foreign countries.  Normalcy bias kills of lot of people who think like you.

Just because you don't see it, nor read about it,  does not mean it doesn't happen on a regular basis.  Most cases do not get reported fearful of gangs, the mafia, and drug dealers.  Media is restricted in reporting crime due to government controls and political pressure as it affects tourism.

I've seen many folks like you in the Police Station all beat up, bleeding and crying about stolen jewelry, cash, and more; because of normalcy bias and because they were not equipped to defend themselves.  Wake up!!

20 minutes ago, Kabula said:

How do you know how many Thais warned me that were raised in Phuket over the years?

If you think wearing expensive jewelry is o.k. anywhere in the world now is safe with the worldwide economic retreat, you have your head up your butt! 

Most thieves on the street come up behind and put their arm around throats to  use a military choke hold to force the victim to pass out. This why it is important to be aware who is behind you at all times.  Many Thai women are always turning their heads to view how close people are behind them.

In the last few years millions of jobs have been lost in Thailand and even the working gals are complaining and many going back to their villages because there expenses outweigh their income. 

Hungry people steal and worse.  Obviously, you never had a military or law enforcement experience in foreign countries.  Normalcy bias kills of lot of people who think like you.

Just because you don't see it, nor read about it,  does not mean it doesn't happen on a regular basis.  Most cases do not get reported fearful of gangs, the mafia, and drug dealers.  Media is restricted in reporting crime due to government controls and political pressure as it affects tourism.

I've seen many folks like you in the Police Station all beat up, bleeding and crying about stolen jewelry, cash, and more; because of normalcy bias and because they were not equipped to defend themselves.  Wake up!!

Still talking BS.

Apart from your second sentence, your arguments apply to everywhere in Thailand and even most of the planet.

You previously attacked Phuket specifically, while giving the impression that the place in which you reside is free of such problems!!

Thievery, loss of jobs, coups, violence and mafia crime are obviously panoptic of the nation.

I'll stick with troll until you have specific, believable points to argue.

2 hours ago, Kabula said:

Total BS start to finish x2 

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Still talking BS.

Apart from your second sentence, your arguments apply to everywhere in Thailand and even most of the planet.

You previously attacked Phuket specifically, while giving the impression that the place in which you reside is free of such problems!!

Thievery, loss of jobs, coups, violence and mafia crime are obviously panoptic of the nation.

I'll stick with troll until you have specific, believable points to argue.

http://phuketcrime.com/

Just a small sample over a short period of time.  Other Publishers left the area out of fear over the years and many similar web pages were taken down over the years.

1 hour ago, Kabula said:

Just a small sample over a short period of time.  Other Publishers left the area out of fear over the years and many similar web pages were taken down over the years.

Interesting website, I've never seen nor heard of it previously. It's very anonymous, there's no clue as to it's origins nor who compiled it. It may even breach the TVF rules regarding promotion of  other forums. Could you give an idea of where it originates? Your comments about publishers is somewhat mystifying. Could you elaborate?

Upon examination, the site is basically a list of all manner of incidents that have occurred on the Island over the last several years. It includes some murders and other serious crimes, but also lists motor accidents, many small time drug busts, petty theft and even an incident where an idiot used the word bomb at the airport and got into a little trouble.  The amount of "crime" listed is as would be expected almost anywhere that has with a population of around a million.  Is there a similar website for other Thai communities for comparison purposes?

The site seems to have been compiled by someone with an agenda and a warped view of the world.

3 hours ago, Kabula said:

LOL! Nice link to "news" that is well over a year old. Have you ever lived in Phuket? Do you claim that Phuket has more crime than Bangkok, where you claim to live? What news websites "were taken down over the years?" Phuket Wan? The publisher and his G/F retired according to them. Phuket Gazette is still around, Phuket News is a bit newer and still around. 

On 4/15/2017 at 5:21 AM, Kabula said:

Carry a weapon!

Be aware of who is behind you!

Don't wear expense jewelry.

Many of my Thai friends who I have socialize with over the last 11 years here, who were raised in Phuket left because of the increased crime.

My friends from America who used to routinely go to Phuket annually no longer go there.

With all the earthquakes worldwide recently, I would be concerned about future tsunami's in Phuket.

I don't know how true it is, but I read not too long ago that the cost of a taxi in Phuket to the airport that serves Phuket, was about the same as the price of an airline ticket to Bangkok.  As I recall that was reported in the Thai Visa news.

Good luck.

Lol. Paranoia took over, mate?

15 hours ago, Kabula said:

last update jan 2016

IP Location

United States - Michigan - Bingham Farms - Extreme Leverage Llc

Admin Name: WHOISGUARD PROTECTED
Admin Organization: WHOISGUARD, INC.
Admin Street: P.O. BOX 0823-03411
Admin City: PANAMA
Admin State/Province: PANAMA
Admin Postal Code: 0
Admin Country: PA
Admin Phone: +507.8365503 n

12 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Lol. Paranoia took over, mate?

For all of the Trolls out there, please go out at night alone, near the beach with expensive jewelry, with no protection and walk around after 11 pm for a week and perhaps you will get the point.  The  morgues are full of people that have the same brain washed perception as you.   As currencies devalue, stocks and bonds sell off worldwide, pensions lost, low bank interest over 10 years, billions of job losses worldwide, increased overstays, civil unrest and war spreading worldwide those who disagree will be the first to cry, if you can about bodily injury and losses.

24 minutes ago, Kabula said:

For all of the Trolls out there, please go out at night alone, near the beach with expensive jewelry, with no protection and walk around after 11 pm for a week and perhaps you will get the point.  The  morgues are full of people that have the same brain washed perception as you.   As currencies devalue, stocks and bonds sell off worldwide, pensions lost, low bank interest over 10 years, billions of job losses worldwide, increased overstays, civil unrest and war spreading worldwide those who disagree will be the first to cry, if you can about bodily injury and losses.

Its 10am, maybe you have forgotten to take the red ones, or is it the blue ones that stop delusional paranoia. 

E

31 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Even if your hysteria is to be believed, again, why is your all-encompassing nonsense to be applied only to Phuket, the Province you decided to trash with this paranoia? 

And this statement :

"As currencies devalue, stocks and bonds sell off worldwide, pensions lost, low bank interest over 10 years, billions of job losses worldwide, increased overstays, civil unrest and war spreading worldwide those who disagree will be the first to cry, if you can about bodily injury and losses."

A very weird way to justify your attacks on the Province!!???

The usual type of trolls are posting about a subject they no nothing about

Who would wear expensive jewelry at night on the beach in any country in the world

As far as crime goes i feel safer leaving our house here unattended than i did doing the same in Australia 

I have never been robbed or had our house broken into and know of only one person who had a house broken into, anyway that's what we have house and contents insurance for which we have never claimed on

There are lots of places more dangerous to live in Thailand and most other countries than Phuket 

Kabula a piece of work, huh? Reminds me of a poster a few years back who would post similar alarmist rhetoric as a way to pitch his security service.

Over/under bets on how much time this poster has actually physically spent in Phuket anyone? I say the line is 2 weeks, all spent on Bangla being pick-pocketed by LBs and abused by yaaa-baaad up club bouncers. That might explain his views.

22 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

Kabula a piece of work, huh? Reminds me of a poster a few years back who would post similar alarmist rhetoric as a way to pitch his security service.

Over/under bets on how much time this poster has actually physically spent in Phuket anyone? I say the line is 2 weeks, all spent on Bangla being pick-pocketed by LBs and abused by yaaa-baaad up club bouncers. That might explain his views.

"I say the line is 2 weeks, all spent on Bangla being pick-pocketed by LBs and abused by yaaa-baaad up club bouncers." - so, GOM, is this your description of what a tourist may experience on a night out on Bangla Road? 

If so, why would they return here for another holiday, and therefore, how could / would they ever become the next generation of expat retirees to Phuket?

On 21/4/2560 at 8:09 AM, NamKangMan said:

"I say the line is 2 weeks, all spent on Bangla being pick-pocketed by LBs and abused by yaaa-baaad up club bouncers." - so, GOM, is this your description of what a tourist may experience on a night out on Bangla Road

If so, why would they return here for another holiday, and therefore, how could / would they ever become the next generation of expat retirees to Phuket?

Sorry everyone seemed to have lost where to put stuff, formatting dilemmas..... anyway NKM:

NOPE ! Wrong again with an inference/putting words in poster's mouths/ NKM speculation. Merely commenting on this one poster.

BTW after all these years and posts why don't you put up an avatar? Maybe a taxi with the circle and line through it? Just a thought.

Archived