First Camera Ever !

Are you going to purchase the camera in Thailand or the US or Japan? Japan has some good deals on used Cameras. Thailand has some great deals on new cameras. When I was living over their I found a brand new Nikon D750 for 27,000 baht. Now this sounds expensive but in the US the same camera sold for over 75,000. baht.

Like Grumpy Duck I started out with film, Film teaches you to get the shot right. You don't have an thousands of shots you can take. In general you had 36 frames to get it right then you would have to reload.

Honestly get him a nice point and shoot, most have all kinds of options that many of the larger cameras have. Don't get caught up in the mega pixel nonsense. 12 mega pixels will do nicely. Once he shows the ability to capture great pictures: whether it is a sunset or public life. Then you can look at getting him a DSLR. As for "Photo Shop Good Luck "

I've been using it for 2 years and the learning curve is steep. Photography is a life long journey you will never know everything;technology is changing it so fast!

I'm including a Link visit this site; any questions you have about equipment Ken has more than likely covered.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

I knew someone was going to link to him now or later.

He does have some good points but that blog is how he makes his living. Meaning sometimes the money is more important than the facts. It's kinda like this forum; you really have to sieve through the answers to get the truth.

As an aside I would state that going with a fewer MP point and shoot is the way to go. Already having such a small sensor and then cramming more pixels in can hurt IQ especially if the glass isn't tip top.

This is a perfect example most people would have stepped forward and taken  the tree out of the picture. Leaving you with a view of waves coming onto shore. Which in MHO is not worth much. However Ace of Pop has included the tree and gives the image more depth and appeal.  Learning this is what takes time.

3 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Im happy with my phone camera, the novelty of the posh stuff wore thin , never any better than this realy.IMG_2556.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If your camera app has HDR (wife's iPhone 7+ has it) try enabling it for shots like this. You'll grab a lot more detail in the shade.

Also good job on keeping the frame mostly squared; without guidelines my shots look like way off..

On 9/1/2017 at 5:32 AM, Grumpy Duck said:

A deceptive title, asking for tips for a camera you purchased. Then asking advice so your step son can steal another persons job with no training

If he can "steal" someone's job with no training, what does that say about someone's proficiency?

5 hours ago, pearciderman said:

If he can "steal" someone's job with no training, what does that say about someone's proficiency?

In many cases it is buyer beware, for example, say an experienced professional wedding photographer may charge ฿100,000 to shoot a wedding plus a few studio shots of the happy couple. The amature with no training in lighting no knowlege of portraiture, and no proper equipment shows up with his point & shoot with a 50mm lens for ฿10,000. As many young couples are more concerned about a budget & take the lowest cost, not bothering to check experience or qualifications. So what, the guy had a pretty business card and fancy stationary perhaps. Hate to say it, but I have seen it happen more than once. Yes, the couples complained when they received blurred crappy 4x6 images where the subjects were more like specks in the background. And shadows blocked many of the faces. Proper equipment costs money, lots of it, plus assistants, plus a studio??? It is likely that ฿100,000 did not allow much for profit. But that pro may shoot several weddings a week. 

On 9/5/2017 at 6:35 AM, rasg said:

To shoot and process a wedding, design the album, create a a web gallery and all the other stuff is about a weeks work to do it properly. I used to charge around £2K.

Now that sounds professional. But £2000 in Thailand? 

On 9/7/2017 at 6:34 PM, Grumpy Duck said:

Now that sounds professional. But £2000 in Thailand? 

Were your clients living in Thailand or were you specifically talking about somewhere else? I have the impression that only a few would afford such prices (2k). If you are in Thailand i would say the more affordable you are..the better. In terms of the number of clients you would get. Right? I would love to get your opinion on that..

4 hours ago, fashionablesally said:

Were your clients living in Thailand or were you specifically talking about somewhere else? I have the impression that only a few would afford such prices (2k). If you are in Thailand i would say the more affordable you are..the better. In terms of the number of clients you would get. Right? I would love to get your opinion on that..

1. I am not a wedding photographer. I hate trying to shoot such events, not my cup of tea. 2. I am retired, I don't have (or desire) a work permit. 3. I agree £2000 (฿87,000+/-) is a bit pricey for a wedding in LOS but usually you get what you pay for. But for what the post I replied to provided, was to me, a reasonable price. 

Digressing further ...

My good friend use to work for a Chicago studio in the early 70s. They often pulled in much more than that, back then, for their wedding shoots. But then, they not only had "must shots", they had many "must not shots". In Chicago, there were many important people who must not be seen associating with certain other people. 

Today, I imagine there are a lot of broken smartphones at these weddings. 

On 9/2/2017 at 6:31 PM, Grumpy Duck said:

Thanks for the info, what do you shoot with? And how much did it cost? I asked a Canon rep if they made a camera capable of manual multiple exposures, his reply was "No". 

Sorry for the delay in answering, have been away. I have an Olympus E-M1 II.  I have never tried the feature but it is available from the menus. Here is a list showing cameras that support it:

http://www.neocamera.com/search_camera.php?multipleexposure=1

Plenty of choice!

P..S. The Canon rep was wrong.

Archived