My son is overweight

aoneseller

1 hour ago, tonray said:

white rice has a glycemic index of 72 compared to 100 for pure glucose. It's almost like eating pure sugar.

The glycemic index is really of little use in this case as the boy is not a diabetic which the glycemic index is mainly used for as it shows which foods raise blood glucose levels quickly, moderately or slowl

It seems your son was fine when living with your mother. So he didn't have a weight problem then.  Why does he have one now?

Since exercise is not effective for weight loss I would assume your MIL and you are just over feeding the kid.  You need to count the calories more carefully.  Not just what he is eating but in what portion size?  If he is eating adult portions he will get bigger and bigger.  He is 6 and you should do some googling on what amount of calories he needs to maintain a normal body weight.

I say this because my brother was over feeding his 3 year old daughter heaping the same plate portions on her as he had on his plate!  My mom put a fast stop to it and the girl snapped right out of the weight problem.  My brother just did not have a clue about what kind of small portions a child needed for proper weight.  He was not trying to do anything bad.

On 4/26/2017 at 9:53 PM, MaprangHolmes said:

The glycemic index is really of little use in this case as the boy is not a diabetic which the glycemic index is mainly used for as it shows which foods raise blood glucose levels quickly, moderately or slowl

In fact it's really of great use. You can start on the road to enlightenment here:

Very often with kids it is noi the food being eaten at home at all that is the problem, it is the cheap junk food snacks and sweet drinks being bought away from home. The schools are surrounded by vendors of cheap junk food and heavily sugared drinks.

On 4/29/2017 at 11:35 AM, Sheryl said:

Very often with kids it is noi the food being eaten at home at all that is the problem, it is the cheap junk food snacks and sweet drinks being bought away from home. The schools are surrounded by vendors of cheap junk food and heavily sugared drinks.

And the kids are given an allowance to buy exactly that.

Archived