Nigerian man beaten after giving the middle finger in Pattaya

webfact

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Again, you're missing the point. Violence will always happen but we can lower the amount. You, like many others, put the onus of decent behaviour on the wrong people. Flipping the bird doesn't equal a beating. You put the onus of blame on the people who get the beating by saying "you should know if you flip the bird you can get seriously hurt". This makes it more acceptable to do in society which means more people will do it. If we all criticize it and condemn it, it will happen less. Especially in cultures with a system of 'face'.

You can lower the amount by not antagonizing people. Sorry, but the world is becoming a more violent place, not less so, and if you don't take care you'll be another victim. I don't have the time or the will to try and start changing peoples behaviour, but I do have the common sense not to flip people off. Because of media coverage there are probably more people being shamed because of bad behaviour than ever, has it made the world a safer place to be or people more respectful of each other?   Has it hell, people are more selfish and self centred than ever. Perhaps you can give me and others some insight on how you plan on making the world a safer and better place?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You can lower the amount by not antagonizing people. Sorry, but the world is becoming a more violent place, not less so, and if you don't take care you'll be another victim. I don't have the time or the will to try and start changing peoples behaviour, but I do have the common sense not to flip people off. Because of media coverage there are probably more people being shamed because of bad behaviour than ever, has it made the world a safer place to be or people more respectful of each other?   Has it hell, people are more selfish and self centred than ever. Perhaps you can give me and others some insight on how you plan on making the world a safer and better place?

Again, this isn't about me or you having the common sense to not flip people the bird. This is about condemning violence before all else. Once everyone condemns this kind of violence it will happen less often. If the first thing people say is "you don't go round flipping the bird" it gives some in society the idea that being disrespected can be cured with violence. No, it absolutely cannot. People film it, put it on social media, etc, and then everyone condemn together. 

Then, next time someone does something disrespectful, people can think "What an idiot. I'll ignore that and not stoop to a lower level". Some adults never grow out of being a child. That's because they weren't raised properly or raised to know right and wrong. Like when you're a kid and you hit someone for calling you a name. Your teacher scolds you and explains how you don't use violence. The name calling doesn't justify it and you lose all credibility and sympathy. 

Like you said - many people simply don't know not to flip the bird or react with violence. This is why we as a society should remind them that there's never an excuse for violence. This idea is better than simply saying "ah, you know the rules. Show disrespect and get a beating". 

Again, you're missing the point. Violence will always happen but we can lower the amount. You, like many others, put the onus of decent behaviour on the wrong people. Flipping the bird doesn't equal a beating. You put the onus of blame on the people who get the beating by saying "you should know if you flip the bird you can get seriously hurt". This makes it more acceptable to do in society which means more people will do it. If we all criticize it and condemn it, it will happen less. Especially in cultures with a system of 'face'.

Thailand is the world capital of disproportionate punishment. Fairness is mostly a Western concept.

This is why we as a society should remind them that there's never an excuse for violence.

Sorry, not sure what world you are living in, perhaps one with gingerbread castles and lemonade streams, but it's definitely not the real world.  I just keep my nose clean and try not to piss people off, I'll leave the job of trying to change society to the idealistic dreamers.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

This is why we as a society should remind them that there's never an excuse for violence.

Sorry, not sure what world you are living in, perhaps one with gingerbread castles and lemonade streams, but it's definitely not the real world.  I just keep my nose clean and try not to piss people off, I'll leave the job of trying to change society to the idealistic dreamers.

I live in a world where I deplore violence. I won't feel bad for that. If more people  deplored violence, other people might think twice about doing it. That's better than doing nothing. You don't just shrug your shoulders and accept it. 

I live in a world where I deplore violence. I won't feel bad for that. If more people  deplored violence, other people might think twice about doing it. That's better than doing nothing. You don't just shrug your shoulders and accept it. 

You've got your work cut out for you, there's a lot of it going on. The middle east might be a bit of a challenge.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:01 AM, cooked said:

(*Rude word*) him

Agreed...the guy was an idiot to try and drive into a small soi during the biggest party of the year...not to excuse the violence, but it was entirely predictable...and he responded in a stupid fashion.

On 4/18/2017 at 8:59 AM, tonray said:

The place is a joke...why would anyone want to live there.

Possibly because all the gobby, small-minded, sanctimonious, know nothings live elsewhere.

• 11 months later...
On 4/19/2017 at 9:03 PM, rkidlad said:

Accept that that is the way it is, you don't have to get involved yourself if you use common sense. If you can't swim don't wade in deep water.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:06 AM, Jeremy50 said:

Go back to Nigeria, it's a nicer place with nicer people. Face racism on a daily basis over there? I don't think so.

I don't think anyone in Nigeria would treat him badly because he is black.

On 4/19/2017 at 10:39 AM, lungnorm said:

How does a Nigerian afford a holiday in Pattaya? Must be a scammer of a drug mule!!!! Such an attitude for a black man is diabolical. Serves  him right.

The GDP of Nigeria is pretty much identical to Thailand's - 405 billion US  to 406 Billion US - although GDP per capita is 2000 - 5000 respectively due o pop differences. the bottom line is that there are a significant number of nigerians who are far, far richer than you or I. And could quite easily afford a holiday to pattaya. 

\

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Accept that that is the way it is, you don't have to get involved yourself if you use common sense. If you can't swim don't wade in deep water.

Humans are sentient beings who can be held accountable for their actions. Water, deep or otherwise, is not. 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, smedly said:

looks to me like he is out of his head either drunk or something else, I hope they breath tested him

as for the assault, there are drunk youths running around pattaya that are up to no good looking for trouble

That's what I thought when I looked at the VDO. Also, you'd have to be either crazy or drunk or ........ to go driving down Soi 7 in a car while people are indulging in Songkran antics. Anyone ever been down Soi 7 knows why it's not a good idea to drive a car down it at night any time of year, and doing so now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Self inflicted injury, IMO.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, survivalblue said:

One news release states he is a "holidaymaker".  How many Nigerian tourists drive around Pattaya in cars?

He must have an international drivers license, and if he really arrived on holiday, what does he need a car for at night in Pattaya?

Pattaya is a relatively small town and easily navigated on foot. 

I think this story maybe has more to it than a guy waving his middle finger and taking a beating.

And why did he get out of his car?

While I think he was an idiot for attempting to drive down Soi 7 while it was full of water warriors, there are several reasons he could be driving at that time of night in Pattaya, one of which could be that he'd been visiting friends somewhere. Many others. 

It's not inconceivable that he was on a tourist visa in Thailand to visit friends.

Perhaps he got out of his car because he thought he was invincible, or had a mistaken sense of his own importance.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:44 AM, Thechook said:

You go to that place and you are asking for it.  Its had a reputation around the world for years

Only reputation I know it had was as a fun street. I never saw anyone having a problem on it and I was there quite a bit a few years ago.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. It fooled me too. Seems that zombie threads are being resurrected frequently now. Perhaps not enough new news.

It's got me, when I remember, checking first post dates now before I end up reading the thread, still catches me sometimes.

Maybe a three month life and then closed would be a good idea.

Just Sayin.

Archived